October 26, 2021, 11:32:34 PM

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Total time logged in: 0 minutes.

Home   Help Login Register  

A D V E R T I S E M E N T

Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: crab imports question  (Read 6895 times)
bigjimmie

trips- who knows , bushels- truckloads

Ignore
« on: May 12, 2013, 03:55:27 AM »

I was wondering since they import crab meat ( some even fresh from venezuala ) and soft shell crabs now why do they not import live hard crabs (from close countries like venezuala ) or cooked hard crabs(since they can get fresh crab meat here quick enough)? Is their some type of law that prevents this ?
flounderpounder
Lifetime Member

Ignore
« Reply #1 on: May 12, 2013, 03:34:19 PM »

I was wondering since they import crab meat ( some even fresh from venezuala ) and soft shell crabs now why do they not import live hard crabs (from close countries like venezuala ) or cooked hard crabs(since they can get fresh crab meat here quick enough)? Is their some type of law that prevents this ?

Because they arent the same as a blue crab Wink. They are blue swimming crabs. Different animal

" I CAN SKIN A BUCK, I CAN RUN A TROT LINE A PA BOY CAN SURVIVE" 

"YOU CAN LOVE ME OR HATE ME, BUT WHEN YOU HATE ME, YOU LOVE TO HATE ME "Wink
fowllife250

Ignore
« Reply #2 on: May 12, 2013, 04:11:53 PM »

Watch deadliest catch, they are catching "blue crab" but its  not the same hoss.
bigjimmie

Ignore
« Reply #3 on: May 12, 2013, 11:45:15 PM »

Because they arent the same as a blue crab Wink. They are blue swimming crabs. Different animal

Actually I know that the blue crab in Mexico and Venezuela(possibly other countries as well) is the same blue crab we have in the u.s. That's why I asked the question......the blue swimming crab is in Asia......
redhanded

Ignore
« Reply #4 on: May 13, 2013, 12:30:14 AM »

I would guess they aren't shipped live because of Customs issues with possibility of introducing unwanted organisms
I wouldn't be surprised if there aren't steamed crabs being shipped from out of country. There are a lot of pre-steamed crabs sold to restuarants even when there is a good supply of live crabs available.

rdbeard
Lifetime Member

Ignore
« Reply #5 on: May 13, 2013, 07:46:32 AM »

Big jim is correct. the blue swimmer crab is a larger species of asian crab, the blue crab from south america is the same crab found in the usa.Note, while all blue crabs from the usa are the same crab it's been noted that the dna from these crabs varies slightly from state to state and fr5om differant parts of the country. IMO the venezuela blue crab 's meat is blander then most and none of the crabs from other states tastes as sweet as md crabs. on saturday i bought 2lbs of md backfin meat at 16.99 per lb. i passed up the import from venezuela for 8.50 lb right next the to the md meat.
jack1747
Lifetime Member
Global Moderator

Crab'n is a way of life....

« Reply #6 on: May 13, 2013, 07:53:34 AM »

When is a "Blue Crab" (Callinectes sapidus) not a blue crab......  Huh   -> http://www.dnr.sc.gov/marine/sertc/Blue%20Crab%20SOM.pdf

"Helping to Moderate the BCA since 2003" "I've gotten to the point in my life where I no longer give a [shiz] what people think, I'm not going to take any [shiz], because, frankly my dears, I am NOT in the [shiz] business." Quote from Suzy. :-)
KALknowsRAE

Ignore
« Reply #7 on: May 13, 2013, 12:09:31 PM »

When is a "Blue Crab" (Callinectes sapidus) not a blue crab......  Huh   ->
Sounds like one of woogie's riddles.

Crabbing: A game of pinches.
CrabDog
Lifetime Member

Ignore
« Reply #8 on: May 13, 2013, 12:33:01 PM »

Big jim is correct. the blue swimmer crab is a larger species of asian crab, the blue crab from south america is the same crab found in the usa.Note, while all blue crabs from the usa are the same crab it's been noted that the dna from these crabs varies slightly from state to state and fr5om differant parts of the country. IMO the venezuela blue crab 's meat is blander then most and none of the crabs from other states tastes as sweet as md crabs. on saturday i bought 2lbs of md backfin meat at 16.99 per lb. i passed up the import from venezuela for 8.50 lb right next the to the md meat.

I agree I bought some of the venezuela crab meat back Christmas time two years ago for soup and it was very white and bland flavored.. did not have much taste to it...
like you said half the price, but just not the same.... unlike domestic crab especially MD.. I decided due to not getting out as much last fall I decided to buy local MD crabmeat and vacuum seal it for soup...... so I would have plenty of meat for soup... as the soup was no where near as good as with local crab.. sweeter and much better taste.....used most of my extra crab meat last year to make crab cakes and vaccum seal and freeze pre made.. made for a good winter dining along with some venison or filets.... 

MD / PA Line
bigjimmie

Ignore
« Reply #9 on: May 14, 2013, 09:14:56 PM »

Well...... I did a lot more research on this site and found a post from many years ago that advertised whole hardshell blue crab for sale from turkey , cleaned or uncleaned and it had pics ( same crab we have here) I guess the kicker is it was frozen and I dont know how that would effect the taste or texture.

setfunnel

Ignore
« Reply #10 on: June 04, 2013, 09:39:15 AM »

i sat through a lecture by an economics guy from tulane hired by the louisiana crab task force and he said the crab from ven. was the same crab
rdbeard
Lifetime Member

Ignore
« Reply #11 on: June 04, 2013, 10:21:13 AM »

yes same crab but not same taste they all differ by region mostlyJMHO

Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to:  

Home