October 21, 2020, 03:21:56 PM

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Total time logged in: 0 minutes.

Home   Help Login Register  

A D V E R T I S E M E N T

Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 5   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Best crab catch?  (Read 13774 times)
madcrabber1113

http://www.bluecrab.info/forum/index.php?action=dl

Ignore
« on: June 12, 2013, 10:43:01 AM »

What was your best catch that you remember? how many, How much and what type of gear, When?,where? How do your catches now stack up to then?  Mine was back in 1989 -90 not sure exactly down near Cliffs City on the Chester river in MD. We had 1000' line baited about every 2' or so.Ran the line 3 times caught 3 bushel of HUGE crabs that did not need to be measured. The bait was so tore up we had to go! You were permitted 2 bushel per license then and we had 3 people. We had one of those runs with a crab on just about every bait! We couldn't dip them fast enough, they were coming up out of the water and hitting the roller! Unfortunately now in the same area one bushel in an 8 hour day using line and traps has been the norm for me anyway and that includes crabs that must be measured  Embarassed I have since stopped going there as I can catch more than that in my home waters of the Sassafras,Elk and Bohemia but they just don't seem to get as big or taste as good. Oh well how about you?
Grizzly36

Ignore
« Reply #1 on: June 12, 2013, 10:51:35 AM »

Last season on a river off the delaware bay. Almost a bushel of mixed size crabs on necks. About 20 traps, a mix of 4 door box and 4 door topless.  I've not been on a different river since.  When you find em stick with em until they leave.  I haven't been out yet but when i make it in the next week or two i'm going back to see if they are still there.  That was my best day crabbing numbers wise.

As far as memorable day.  I hit a spot on the Missapillion River about 2 years ago in the fall with necks and traps.  Several traps had doubles on couple runs. Some decent 6 inchers too.

I've not been at this long so it doesn't take much for a memorable day or for something to be considered a good catch.  I can't wait to see my boy reach for, grab, and pull in his first trap by himself.  I think he's ready and hopefully this will be the year.

Trips              
Bushels          
Traps            
Trotline      
Crabs picked
rdbeard
Lifetime Member

Ignore
« Reply #2 on: June 12, 2013, 11:22:57 AM »

Spring- mid may 2011 2400ft clams 5 bu good mixed males in 5 hrs. fall of that year 2400 ft necks 8 bu about 6 hrs, 3 bu males 5 bu sooks. could have caught more but the [dang] sooks cleaned my lines so clean that the bones fell out of the snoods.
tattoo
Lifetime Member

MY BOAT CRAB TRAP

Ignore
« Reply #3 on: June 12, 2013, 11:54:55 AM »

Traps, a few years back at the WYE . 2 bushels , none under 7.

A CRAB A DAY KEEPS THE DOCTOR AWAY.   

Click Here To Mount Your Crab
on the hook
Lifetime Member

Location: Central Pa/S Jersey till I can find some work somewhere

I love crabs!

Ignore
« Reply #4 on: June 12, 2013, 11:58:43 AM »

OK, somtimes it's not quantity, but quality that counts...Back about 95, 96, Dennis Creek, NJ, Sunday about Halloween time...Beautiful fall day, wife and I were striper fishing (I fished, she read/knitted) and I caught my stripers fairly quick...Had about 1/2 doz fresh bunker, so, why not?? I had launched out of Bidwell and always wanted to try it, but with the boat traffic, I decided to run in Dennis Creek instead...We baited and dropped 16 traps, mostly ring & some old cuba fold up that all stored easily...My wife does not like fishing for stripers(boring) but loves crabbing, as it keeps her busy...I went up what is called Roaring Creek Ditch off Dennis Creek...We ran the string 4 times and had 61 nice crabs....64 pics/61 crabs..No waiting either...get done, turn and run back...This was and still is my best ratio with traps...I went back 2 or 3 days later, alone, fresh bunker, and could NOT buy a crab???  Huh Huh Huh I usually figure that a doz "will do", 2 doz are "perfect"...After that is all bonus and I'm giving away some then...
« Last Edit: June 12, 2013, 12:00:25 PM by on the hook » Logged

I'm niether proud nor embarrassed, I'm a man....Sometimes I sh!t my pants.....It's part of the deal.

jp57

Ignore
« Reply #5 on: June 12, 2013, 12:32:50 PM »

Back in the mid 80's. Rock Hall Maryland on the Chester.We'd rent a row boat and my Dad was the rower/hand line maker/ and netter. He would get us out to our spot and start making hand lines for us kids. Before he could get 4 or 5 of them done we would already be catching them. We'd sometime have a half bushel filled before he could get a line in the water himself. If there was any room left in the bushel by the time low tide hit, get out of the boat with the net and catch the rest. I really miss those days.
soggybottomboyz

Ignore
« Reply #6 on: June 13, 2013, 11:14:03 AM »

I have two.  Using a thousand foot trot line, several years ago on the Wye we took home two baskets, with the lids bowed up, all Jumbos.  If I remember each basket had less than fify' crabs each.

A few years back at Gull Point using 1200 foot trot line, 3 baskets in two hours all males, mixed size. Speed dipping at it finest!!!

"I am the reason there is a daily limit and I do not use orange plastic baskets ALL the time".
piledriver

Ignore
« Reply #7 on: June 13, 2013, 11:35:30 AM »

I hear ya. definitely not like it used to be. I worked on a crab boat in Delaware when I was a teen.We had to pick up pots because of an approaching hurricane, anyway the crabs must of got real hungry before the storm because we ended up with 52 bushels out of 200 pots.have had a few good days locally around ordinary point and the Bohemia.(which never used to be a popular crabbing spot).
flounderpounder
Lifetime Member

Ignore
« Reply #8 on: June 13, 2013, 08:51:25 PM »

Bushel of jimmies off handlines in VA when i was 10. Adult life 2 stuffed bushels with 30 traps in about 2.5 hrs.. June 14 2006. Severn river.

" I CAN SKIN A BUCK, I CAN RUN A TROT LINE A PA BOY CAN SURVIVE" 

"YOU CAN LOVE ME OR HATE ME, BUT WHEN YOU HATE ME, YOU LOVE TO HATE ME "Wink
Seanile
Lifetime Member
Global Moderator

WHEN THE CHICKEN NECK DROPS, THE BS STOPS

« Reply #9 on: June 13, 2013, 09:55:34 PM »

Best quality catch occurred 3-4 years ago at the Elk w/traps.  One memorable packed bushel containing 39 crabs.  

~ Bruce ~

If a man speaks at sea, where no woman can hear, is he still wrong?

Ron
Lifetime Member
Global Moderator

RonMeischker https://www.linkedin.com/profile/view?id=220842455&trk=nav_respon RMeischker
« Reply #10 on: June 13, 2013, 10:13:17 PM »

7/31/2010 on Patcong Creek

Two runs through 30 traps=One bushel of crabs.

Blue Crab Advisor to the NJ Marine Fisheries Council

11th Annual Assault on Patcong Creek Crabbing Tournament & BBQ
America's Largest Crabbing Tournament
June 26 & 27th, 2020
Somers Point, NJ

http://www.assaultonpatcongcreek.com

To Register:
http://assaultonpatcongcreek.com/the-crabbing-tournament/tournament-registration/

Check out the tournament's page on Facebook!
https://www.facebook.com/assaultonpatcongcreek
wakerider368

Ignore
« Reply #11 on: June 14, 2013, 07:51:44 PM »

4000 feet of clams july of last year on chester 12 bushels by 830 am
Mr. Ray III
Lifetime Member

Ignore
« Reply #12 on: June 14, 2013, 09:44:03 PM »

About 130-140 pots, 28 bushels, 2008 or 2009.  Another day, a row of 35 pots, 7 baskets.

Watermen and Seafood, Can't Have One Without The Other
madcrabber1113

Ignore
« Reply #13 on: June 14, 2013, 10:16:13 PM »

About 130-140 pots, 28 bushels, 2008 or 2009.  Another day, a row of 35 pots, 7 baskets.
  Thank you  Shocked about how many would you say that would average out per pot?
madcrabber1113

Ignore
« Reply #14 on: June 14, 2013, 10:18:04 PM »

4000 feet of clams july of last year on chester 12 bushels by 830 am
                          Wow!  Shocked Can you remember how many you got on your best run of the line?

madcrabber1113

Ignore
« Reply #15 on: June 14, 2013, 10:19:19 PM »

7/31/2010 on Patcong Creek

Two runs through 30 traps=One bushel of crabs.
                  Very nice  Cool  Is that in Joisey?   Grin
crabbywaters
Lifetime Member

Ignore
« Reply #16 on: June 14, 2013, 10:20:42 PM »

Back in 1995 in the severn. Hit a mother load of HUGE mossy monsters with my dad. We had 18 traps. We took all we could eat and some. My buddy stills talks about the ones I gave to him. He always compares everything to that time. I'm not gonna say how big and bad they were because I don't have pics. But they were HUGE! Another time about 5 years ago I packed a basket on a pier, on the south river with some real nice quality crabs. All with handlines.
« Last Edit: June 14, 2013, 10:24:58 PM by crabbywaters » Logged

I wish i was a crab.
madcrabber1113

Ignore
« Reply #17 on: June 14, 2013, 10:23:13 PM »

Best quality catch occurred 3-4 years ago at the Elk w/traps.  One memorable packed bushel containing 39 crabs.  
                          Any recollection as to how many traps? or if you had a crab or two in every trap on at least one run of your traps?  book2
madcrabber1113

Ignore
« Reply #18 on: June 14, 2013, 10:25:29 PM »

Bushel of jimmies off handlines in VA when i was 10. Adult life 2 stuffed bushels with 30 traps in about 2.5 hrs.. June 14 2006. Severn river.
                       That had to have been a blast!!  Shocked shocked2 juggle
CrabbyFrank

Ignore
« Reply #19 on: June 14, 2013, 11:02:59 PM »

1981 my dad and I had 8 bushels in 5 hours. We crabbed out of a 14' v bottom aluminum Appleby powered by a 15 HP Evenrude tiller. We ran a 1,000 footer baited every three feet with salted eel. Crab Alley Eastern Bay. One of the best times of my life with my dad.

Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 5   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to:  

Home