October 30, 2020, 09:20:11 PM

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Total time logged in: 0 minutes.

Home   Help Login Register  

A D V E R T I S E M E N T

Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Dividing creek/ turkey point crabbing  (Read 8710 times)
LeathalWeapon

Chick Magnet!

Ignore
« on: June 12, 2013, 06:02:51 PM »

Is anyone familiar with the public ramp they have in this area? I've always rented from stumpy but I have recently purchased a boat and am interested in taking it out for my first crabbing trip this Saturday. I know it's $20 to launch at dividing creek but a friend of mine was telling me his dad launches in that area and its a free ramp. I'm sort of familiar with the area but I can google map any location and find it. Also I remember hearing that the ramp floods out depending on the tide. Can anyone help me out?

"I wanna go babbin and bitchin" -- L-Dub
54bobby
Lifetime Member

bob elliott

Ignore
« Reply #1 on: June 12, 2013, 06:21:27 PM »

about 1/4 mile south of stumpys make a right on hansey road and take it to the end= free ramp. follow the creek out to the right side of the ramp and it empties into dividing creek about a half mile or so from the (no rental boats beyond this point) sign.
on the hook
Lifetime Member

Location: Central Pa/S Jersey till I can find some work somewhere

I love crabs!

Ignore
« Reply #2 on: June 12, 2013, 07:22:40 PM »

As Bobby said, Hansey Creek Rd, south from DCBR or Turkey Point, next to the arch wooden bridge...You will have to play the tide, but imo, a better area(less traffic)..There are a lot of creeks over there that get zero crabbing almost all year...You are good from about 1/3 tide up to same down...May have to walk the creek, but a hard bottom...Ask Willie...If you need any pointers for there, feel free to bmail

I'm niether proud nor embarrassed, I'm a man....Sometimes I sh!t my pants.....It's part of the deal.
54bobby
Lifetime Member

bob elliott

Ignore
« Reply #3 on: June 13, 2013, 05:05:29 AM »

be careful up in there. you can get turned around and loose your bearings.
LeathalWeapon

Chick Magnet!

Ignore
« Reply #4 on: June 13, 2013, 06:53:51 AM »

Thanks for the help. I'm going to look into it today. I'd hate to get turned around out there.

on the hook
Lifetime Member

I love crabs!

Ignore
« Reply #5 on: June 13, 2013, 10:42:43 AM »

Yes, you have a point there...I know that area well, and in a fog/dark, it is not fun...I have run it in the dark a lot, but I knew where I was headed..Fog was another story...You have to learn it first I guess...I did by crabbing and hunted there a lot...according to this, they caught them off Wier Ck bridge??...http://www.bluecrab.info/forum/index.php/topic,63878.msg573740.html#msg573740

I added a pic/locations...Black=Beaver Dam...........Yellow=Turkey Point launch.........White=Wier Creek bridge......Red=my fav spot for crabs

I'm niether proud nor embarrassed, I'm a man....Sometimes I sh!t my pants.....It's part of the deal.
on the hook
Lifetime Member

I love crabs!

Ignore
« Reply #6 on: June 14, 2013, 11:18:32 PM »

Found this....The launch is to the right ....

LeathalWeapon

Chick Magnet!

Ignore
« Reply #7 on: June 15, 2013, 03:08:29 PM »

How can I check the tides for that launch area? After lookin at google maps it looks like if I go right at the launch and make another right it will dump me out into dividing creek. Are these channels flooded enough to navigate through? I'm in a 12ft smoker craft.

LeathalWeapon

Chick Magnet!

Ignore
« Reply #8 on: June 15, 2013, 03:11:58 PM »

Looks like its a shorter ride at Hansey creek rd launch too. Channels look narrow and I don't know how well they are in person.

madcrabber1113

http://www.bluecrab.info/forum/index.php?action=dl

Ignore
« Reply #9 on: June 15, 2013, 03:46:59 PM »

Sorry did you say something?   Shocked Tongue            http://www.bluecrab.info/forum/index.php?action=dlattach;attach=55329;type=avatar                                                                                                                                                                                     

tedbo

Raised in Johnson's Ditch 39.248045,-75.131587

Ignore
« Reply #10 on: June 15, 2013, 05:16:15 PM »

Home Sweet Home... (minus the bridge)

I feel sorry for the man who doesn't drink.  When he gets up in the morning that's the best he's gonna feel all day! LBJ
salt hay

I Love Crabs!

Ignore
« Reply #11 on: June 15, 2013, 07:55:53 PM »

If you want to crab Dividing Creek use the Hansey Creek boat access. Much better ramp (concrete), it has water at all tides, and alot closer to Dividing creek. If you want to crab west of Turkey Point use the Tukery point or Fortescue launch.  

If you do launch at Turkey point you need to use different routes from High to low water. The road bridge is not passable at high tide and Johnson's ditch it not naviagable 2 hours either side of low.

If you launch at hansey creek and go right at ramp you will hit Dividing creek in about 200-300 yards. Go right on Dividing creek to head up towards town and Maple Pond etc. This route is plenty deep at all but the lowest of the blowout tides. (once or twice a year)
« Last Edit: June 15, 2013, 07:59:17 PM by salt hay » Logged
54bobby
Lifetime Member

bob elliott

Ignore
« Reply #12 on: June 15, 2013, 08:43:05 PM »

If you want to crab Dividing Creek use the Hansey Creek boat access. Much better ramp (concrete), it has water at all tides, and alot closer to Dividing creek. If you want to crab west of Turkey Point use the Tukery point or Fortescue launch.  

If you do launch at Turkey point you need to use different routes from High to low water. The road bridge is not passable at high tide and Johnson's ditch it not naviagable 2 hours either side of low.

If you launch at hansey creek and go right at ramp you will hit Dividing creek in about 200-300 yards. Go right on Dividing creek to head up towards town and Maple Pond etc. This route is plenty deep at all but the lowest of the blowout tides. (once or twice a year)

^ yea, what he said.
LeathalWeapon

Chick Magnet!

Ignore
« Reply #13 on: June 15, 2013, 10:40:44 PM »

Thanks a lot.

GA

Ignore
« Reply #14 on: June 16, 2013, 06:27:43 AM »

Does the dirt "parking area" by Turkey point flood at high tide? Also what is the raised platform to the left of the foot bridge for, I am guessing observation?

One last thing, do those roads ever get washed out at high tide and has anyone gotten stranded by the tide in their vehicle out there? Say by taking a car instead of a 4 wheeler. The reason I ask is I prefer to drive my car to save gas if I don't need the truck.

salt hay

I Love Crabs!

Ignore
« Reply #15 on: June 16, 2013, 08:08:01 AM »

It doesn't flood on a normal high tide, but will on occasion, especially near the new or full moon. The ramp is mud though and can be dicey sometimes with a two wheel drive truck at lower tides. I'd be careful with the car.

The metal observation tower is for bird watchers etc...............
GA

Ignore
« Reply #16 on: June 16, 2013, 08:20:37 AM »

Thanks that is why I asked.

tedbo

Ignore
« Reply #17 on: June 16, 2013, 09:25:40 PM »

^ yea, what he said.
laugh laugh laugh

I feel sorry for the man who doesn't drink.  When he gets up in the morning that's the best he's gonna feel all day! LBJ
tedbo

Ignore
« Reply #18 on: June 16, 2013, 09:30:07 PM »

One last thing, do those roads ever get washed out at high tide and has anyone gotten stranded by the tide in their vehicle out there?
I remember one guy.  Roll Eyes
« Last Edit: July 13, 2013, 01:25:45 PM by tedbo » Logged

on the hook
Lifetime Member

I love crabs!

Ignore
« Reply #19 on: June 16, 2013, 09:58:59 PM »

I'll just say this...I hunted and crabbed this area for many years...I've never had my truck in the salt, UNLESS I put it there, as in backing down a few ramps to load my 21cc...as far as duck/crab boat, no, never...Yes, some of these roads WILL flood, but you won't be out there then, is my guess...Only time they flood is on a HARD east wind...Like a noreaster, hurricane etc ...The bay has to get "flooded" for the marsh to flood...I've been in these creeks in 30+ mph west wind and then I worried...I worried the water would get high enough to get where I wanted to get...You won't be crabbing in 30+ winds...Hunting is exceptional then...I know HCR will flood on EXTREME, but..............

Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to:  

Home