September 20, 2020, 04:09:12 PM

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Total time logged in: 0 minutes.

Home   Help Login Register  

A D V E R T I S E M E N T

Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Where to crab?  (Read 3666 times)
Elie

Ignore
« on: June 03, 2013, 06:24:02 AM »

Hey,

So I have just moved into Lancaster, VA by the Rappahonnock river.  I decided that I want to do some crabbing but only enough to be under a recreational standard. I have a boat and 10 [curd] traps( not the ones that you pull the strings and the doors come up, but the o ring ones). Now that I have this stuff, I need help on knowing where to set my gear. I live by the rappahonnock and would like to stay close to that region if possible. I just need help on where to start crabbing and get a decent amount of crabs. Any advice would help since I am new to this.

Elie
golfing crabber

Ignore
« Reply #1 on: June 27, 2013, 01:42:30 PM »

Elie,

241 views and no replies Huh  I live in MD and am trying to get some info about the Rappahanock too.  Not too much help here in VA. laugh  I can tell you a couple things to try.  Always crab during the moving tide, high and low slack tides are the worst time for crabbing.  I prefer the outgoing tide ( high to low).  I also like the early morning time.  I usually look at a chart for depths, then start somewhere @ 10 feet deep in summer.  I have 30 traps and try to start my line in 10-12ft and have them end in shallower water. Let your traps/rings set for @ 10 minutes after dropping them, and then run your line.  I then see where I'm catching more deep or shallow and then move the traps to the better depth.  Hope this helps some.
flounderpounder
Lifetime Member

Ignore
« Reply #2 on: June 28, 2013, 05:40:50 PM »

All i know is... There are no crabs in VA !!! So ive been told.

" I CAN SKIN A BUCK, I CAN RUN A TROT LINE A PA BOY CAN SURVIVE" 

"YOU CAN LOVE ME OR HATE ME, BUT WHEN YOU HATE ME, YOU LOVE TO HATE ME "Wink

A D V E R T I S E M E N T

Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to:  

Home