November 20, 2019, 02:21:54 AM

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Total time logged in: 0 minutes.

Home   Help Login Register  

A D V E R T I S E M E N T

Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: How many Crabs do we really need ?  (Read 19198 times)
CrabDog
Lifetime Member

Ignore
« Reply #40 on: July 11, 2013, 08:24:40 AM »

Good topic indeed. I've talked about this very same topic with my kayak buddies. The full bushel, FOR US, have been for bragging rights. My household can't finish a bushel. They don't go to waste though. They make for happy family members and neighbors. Along with a supply of crab meat in the freezer for crab cakes at a later date. That being said, we have said that in the future, we will cull even futher for 2-3 doz bigguns for the table.

The culling will more than likely take place after taking a pic of the full bushel basket...for bragging rights LOL!
MM,  I see you freeze yoru crab meat then thaw it out to make crab cakes later.. I find the meat gets watery when thawed which is fine for soup or dip.. but I find the cakes don't turn out as well.  I usually make up my crab cakes with the fresh pick meat and then freeze the cakes in container separated by wax paper.... I have a vaccuum sealer that has a hose and I can vaccuum the containers which works very well and when you are ready to eat them just thaw in fridge day before you want to eat them and they turn out much better IMHO..  I usually just use the Old Bay recipe.. But sorry to hijack as I usually don't do that...  laugh

MD / PA Line
MetroMan

Ignore
« Reply #41 on: July 11, 2013, 10:21:13 AM »

thanks for the tip. It makes more sense to form the cakes prior to freezing. I use a vacuum sealer as well. I wonder if I kinda let the meat dry-out a little bit upon thawing...would that help. It will be scarfed down regardless though lol!!
Crabbyd
Lifetime Member

5 beautiful girls.........and DONE!!!!!

Ignore
« Reply #42 on: July 11, 2013, 10:38:00 AM »

make your cakes and put them on a cookoe sheet.  put them in the freezer for an hour or so to firm them up and then vac seal them.  this keeps them from being smashed and drawing too much liquid out in the process

"Life is not a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in a pretty and well preserved body, but rather to skid in broadside, a crab in one hand, a beer in the other, thoroughly used up, totally worn out, and loudly proclaiming -- WOW--What a Ride!"
CrabDog
Lifetime Member

Ignore
« Reply #43 on: July 11, 2013, 10:40:03 AM »

thanks for the tip. It makes more sense to form the cakes prior to freezing. I use a vacuum sealer as well. I wonder if I kinda let the meat dry-out a little bit upon thawing...would that help. It will be scarfed down regardless though lol!!

I find making the cakes then freezing works the best even if you try drying the meat out.....I make the crab cakes into balls a bit bigger than a golf ball about 4 oz size..then put wax paper in bottom of container then 2 crab balls, then sheet of wax paper then two more crab balls then lid and vaccum seal container.  Thaw day prior, never put a frozen crabcake in hot oil/butter  Shocked
and I let them brown 2-3 minutes on medium heat, then flip let brown another 2-3 minutes on other side.  then flip again and that is when I then press them flat from the ball shape and that way then never fall apart..... 
OK back to how many crabs do we need ....

MD / PA Line
Crabbyd
Lifetime Member

Ignore
« Reply #44 on: July 11, 2013, 10:49:39 AM »

I find making the cakes then freezing works the best even if you try drying the meat out.....I make the crab cakes into balls a bit bigger than a golf ball about 4 oz size..then put wax paper in bottom of container then 2 crab balls, then sheet of wax paper then two more crab balls then lid and vaccum seal container.  Thaw day prior, never put a frozen crabcake in hot oil/butter  Shocked
and I let them brown 2-3 minutes on medium heat, then flip let brown another 2-3 minutes on other side.  then flip again and that is when I then press them flat from the ball shape and that way then never fall apart..... 
OK back to how many crabs do we need ....

Golf ball?  tiny cakes...we would call them crab balls.  Baseball at a minimum and softball size if you want a real nice sized cake.

"Life is not a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in a pretty and well preserved body, but rather to skid in broadside, a crab in one hand, a beer in the other, thoroughly used up, totally worn out, and loudly proclaiming -- WOW--What a Ride!"

flounderpounder
Lifetime Member

Ignore
« Reply #45 on: July 11, 2013, 10:52:43 AM »

I have a new recipe im still tweaking with.. Simple and outstanding Smiley..Will post some pics soon.. Mmmmmm stay tuned

" I CAN SKIN A BUCK, I CAN RUN A TROT LINE A PA BOY CAN SURVIVE" 

"YOU CAN LOVE ME OR HATE ME, BUT WHEN YOU HATE ME, YOU LOVE TO HATE ME "Wink
KALknowsRAE

Ignore
« Reply #46 on: July 11, 2013, 11:39:07 AM »

I usually just use the Old Bay recipe..
When I'm using crab meat that I picked myself, I use the same recipe, only I eliminate the salt and Old Bay.

Crabbing: A game of pinches.
CrabDog
Lifetime Member

Ignore
« Reply #47 on: July 11, 2013, 11:44:34 AM »

Golf ball?  tiny cakes...we would call them crab balls.  Baseball at a minimum and softball size if you want a real nice sized cake.
why must you haunt me..... ?  Roll Eyes laugh laugh laugh

they are somewhere between 4-6 oz size.   I don't have as much spare crab as you so gotta make it stretch.....  I am just a poor rec crabber barely keeping my family feed....  ( kinda like the beverly crab billies  laugh )  I usually cook two per person does that help... laugh laugh laugh laugh

MD / PA Line
Crabbyd
Lifetime Member

Ignore
« Reply #48 on: July 11, 2013, 11:47:02 AM »

they are somewhere between 4-6 oz size.   I don't have as much spare crab as you so gotta make it stretch.....  I am just a poor rec crabber barely keeping my family feed....  ( kinda like the beverly crab billies  laugh )  I usually cook two per person does that help... laugh laugh laugh laugh

because I can!!!!!   Grin

now I'm really scared, do you know how much 4-6oz is?   laugh laugh laugh  Let me help you at 4 oz each, you would get 4 crab cakes to the pound....  at 6 oz, less than 3 per pound.....   Grin laugh laugh laugh laugh laugh laugh

rapp414

« Reply #49 on: July 11, 2013, 12:08:25 PM »

D,I think it's time we ease up on the pup,I'm worried one of those animal cruelty groups are gonna come after us  laugh

Ron
Lifetime Member
Global Moderator

RonMeischker https://www.linkedin.com/profile/view?id=220842455&trk=nav_respon RMeischker
« Reply #50 on: July 11, 2013, 12:12:03 PM »

make your cakes and put them on a cookoe sheet.  put them in the freezer for an hour or so to firm them up and then vac seal them.  this keeps them from being smashed and drawing too much liquid out in the process

Excellent advice which works perfectly, I might add. Grin

Blue Crab Advisor to the NJ Marine Fisheries Council

11th Annual Assault on Patcong Creek Crabbing Tournament & BBQ
America's Largest Crabbing Tournament
June 26 & 27th, 2020
Somers Point, NJ

http://www.assaultonpatcongcreek.com

To Register:
http://assaultonpatcongcreek.com/the-crabbing-tournament/tournament-registration/

Check out the tournament's page on Facebook!
https://www.facebook.com/assaultonpatcongcreek
Crabbyd
Lifetime Member

Ignore
« Reply #51 on: July 11, 2013, 12:13:06 PM »

D,I think it's time we ease up on the pup,I'm worried one of those animal cruelty groups are gonna come after us  laugh

Frank

Put the drink down and step away from it.  You are getting soft......  laugh laugh laugh laugh laugh

rapp414

« Reply #52 on: July 11, 2013, 12:21:39 PM »

Frank

Put the drink down and step away from it.  You are getting soft......  laugh laugh laugh laugh laugh
I just called my Dr,I think it's time for a meds tweak
Crabbyd
Lifetime Member

Ignore
« Reply #53 on: July 11, 2013, 12:29:32 PM »

I just called my Dr,I think it's time for a meds tweak

Sounds like it....   laugh laugh

soggybottomboyz

Ignore
« Reply #54 on: July 11, 2013, 12:33:38 PM »

A few years back when I crabbed every weekend and sometimes twice a week I stored 48 frozen crab cakes & 10 lbs of crab meat in one pound packages.  If I remember correctly it was about 16 crabs to do a pound of meat.  Haven't been close to that since my daughter now plays travel-ball, man it cuts out alot of crabbing and fishing running her up and down the coast!!!

"I am the reason there is a daily limit and I do not use orange plastic baskets ALL the time".

MetroMan

Ignore
« Reply #55 on: July 11, 2013, 01:48:12 PM »

Welp...thanks to this thread, I'm going to load up the kayak and go crabbing tomorrow.
rapp414

« Reply #56 on: July 11, 2013, 01:56:51 PM »

Welp...thanks to this thread, I'm going to load up the kayak and go crabbing tomorrow.
I'm going Friday and Saturday,Friday for me Saturday for a friends party,so this weekend I need a good amount
CrabDog
Lifetime Member

Ignore
« Reply #57 on: July 11, 2013, 02:19:05 PM »

I'm going Friday and Saturday,Friday for me Saturday for a friends party,so this weekend I need a good amount

Whoa,

wait a minute first you make us all feel guilty about taking more than we can eat.. now you going back to back days to throw parties for friends....  Roll Eyes

Talk about a hypacrit......   Roll Eyes Roll Eyes Angry Angry laugh laugh laugh laugh laugh

and Yes D, I can count and realize I get between 3-4 crab cakes per pound, but thanks for letting me know anyway...   Angry Angry

Roll Eyes Roll Eyes Roll Eyes laugh laugh laugh laugh laugh laugh laugh

MD / PA Line
rapp414

« Reply #58 on: July 11, 2013, 02:53:22 PM »

Whoa,

wait a minute first you make us all feel guilty about taking more than we can eat.. now you going back to back days to throw parties for friends....  Roll Eyes

Talk about a hypacrit......   Roll Eyes Roll Eyes Angry Angry laugh laugh laugh laugh laugh

and Yes D, I can count and realize I get between 3-4 crab cakes per pound, but thanks for letting me know anyway...   Angry Angry

Roll Eyes Roll Eyes Roll Eyes laugh laugh laugh laugh laugh laugh laugh
I was fine till I saw D's crab cakes  laugh
Moonman

Life is nothing but a series of Adventures....

Ignore
« Reply #59 on: July 11, 2013, 03:43:27 PM »

As long as they dont go to waste, catch as many as you can. The cost of all your gear and equipment doesnt add up for just a few.....Make it worth your while...just dont wast for the sake of catching crabs.....Sounds like everyone on this site catches and provides very well. Keep up the good work.

Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to:  

Home