December 06, 2019, 04:33:01 PM

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Total time logged in: 0 minutes.

Home   Help Login Register  

A D V E R T I S E M E N T

Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 5   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: How many Crabs do we really need ?  (Read 19250 times)
rapp414

« on: July 09, 2013, 06:47:11 PM »

There's something I've been wondering for some time.Do we really need a bushel every time we got out ? I split a bushel with a friend from this weeks catch,me and my wife just had our 3 rd meal from them.We still had a few to give away.Are we shooting for a bushel to brag ? feed our ego ? ,I can see storing some meat for winter and I realize crabbing is more fun when you catch crabs,but maybe if we all cut back a little it would help keep the population strong,and really not affect any of us recs all that much.
tattoo
Lifetime Member

MY BOAT CRAB TRAP

Ignore
« Reply #1 on: July 09, 2013, 06:52:06 PM »

maby they would cut back if you did .  laugh laugh laugh laugh laugh laugh laugh laugh

A CRAB A DAY KEEPS THE DOCTOR AWAY.   

Click Here To Mount Your Crab
jack1747
Lifetime Member
Global Moderator

Crab'n is a way of life....

« Reply #2 on: July 09, 2013, 06:55:02 PM »

I've asked myself many times over the last 10 years, what somebody does with a bushel crabs or two each week? Huh  I have been culling out 18 of the best of the breed for a number of years.  Usually sick of crab by the 4th of July.  This year I have 2 more mouths to feed so I'm adjusting the number...  So far this year we have not caught enough to have anything left over to pick and freeze. Undecided

"Helping to Moderate the BCA since 2003" "I've gotten to the point in my life where I no longer give a [shiz] what people think, I'm not going to take any [shiz], because, frankly my dears, I am NOT in the [shiz] business." Quote from Suzy. :-)
tattoo
Lifetime Member

MY BOAT CRAB TRAP

Ignore
« Reply #3 on: July 09, 2013, 06:56:17 PM »

don't feel bad Jack . I haven't even gotten out yet .  Embarassed

rapp414

« Reply #4 on: July 09, 2013, 07:00:56 PM »

maby they would cut back if you did .  laugh laugh laugh laugh laugh laugh laugh laugh
Good point Rich,this year I have cut back but not by choice laugh laugh,But I honestly do try not to get piggish.I was raised by very frugal Italian parents and taught not to waste.I do give away crabs when I have extras.I guess this slow year has me thinking more about it.LIke jack pointed out,you do get tired of eating the same thing all the time,fortunately I make the crabs different ways,so it's harder for me to get tired of them

rapp414

« Reply #5 on: July 09, 2013, 07:02:57 PM »

don't feel bad Jack . I haven't even gotten out yet .  Embarassed
Rich,I'll take you out sometime.maybe the Chester.I've been a little busy with drs and moving,but hopefully things will lighten up soon.
tattoo
Lifetime Member

MY BOAT CRAB TRAP

Ignore
« Reply #6 on: July 09, 2013, 07:16:09 PM »

Thanks . i would love to go out with you , let me know . 

rapp414

« Reply #7 on: July 09, 2013, 07:19:17 PM »

Thanks . i would love to go out with you , let me know . 
Will do Rich
Seaweed
Lifetime Member

Beware of the guy in orange

Ignore
« Reply #8 on: July 09, 2013, 08:02:48 PM »

I've asked myself many times over the last 10 years, what somebody does with a bushel crabs or two each week? Huh 

Kinda makes you wonder, doesn't it?  Roll Eyes Roll Eyes Huh  What about the recs that go Thurs, Friday, and Sat every week?   Roll Eyes  Must be REALLY hungry...

Git 'r dun!
flounderpounder
Lifetime Member

Ignore
« Reply #9 on: July 09, 2013, 08:19:32 PM »

No thanks. I like being able to eat crabs any day i want to Smiley

" I CAN SKIN A BUCK, I CAN RUN A TROT LINE A PA BOY CAN SURVIVE" 

"YOU CAN LOVE ME OR HATE ME, BUT WHEN YOU HATE ME, YOU LOVE TO HATE ME "Wink

54bobby

bob elliott

Ignore
« Reply #10 on: July 09, 2013, 08:24:13 PM »

I don't need all the crabs, just the 6" plus ones. laugh laugh laugh
rapp414

« Reply #11 on: July 09, 2013, 08:52:05 PM »

No thanks. I like being able to eat crabs any day i want to Smiley
http://www.bluecrab.info/nutrition.htm       Way too much cholestrol in them,Jeff 3 crabs and you've had your days supply of cholestrol,you need to cut back to 21 crabs a week and have no other cholestrol
flounderpounder
Lifetime Member

Ignore
« Reply #12 on: July 09, 2013, 08:55:10 PM »

http://www.bluecrab.info/nutrition.htm       Way too much cholestrol in them,Jeff 3 crabs and you've had your days supply of cholestrol,you need to cut back to 21 crabs a week and have no other cholestrol

Im over.. I just ate 4  Grin maybe the rest of the dill beans and a shot of the juice will thin it out.. Lol

rapp414

« Reply #13 on: July 09, 2013, 08:59:00 PM »

Im over.. I just ate 4  Grin maybe the rest of the dill beans and a shot of the juice will thin it out.. Lol
laugh laugh laugh laugh I just had a few days worth myself
Luna Sea 3

Ignore
« Reply #14 on: July 09, 2013, 09:14:31 PM »

I caught 86 today.. I steamed half and had a good meal for 3 adults and 3 kids.  I will clean and freeze some for a crab sauce later in the week.  I threw back what I didn't need.  This is under normal conditions though. 

Since I do have pots soaking every days.  I will lift every other day, take the largest dozen out for a good meal, then through the rest back knowing I will have another lift whenever I want more. 

On weekends when I have company coming over for a bbq, then I will cook up a full bushel.  If I have any left, I will give away to my guests. 

Luna Sea 5
VHF 68/72
[email protected]

flounderpounder
Lifetime Member

Ignore
« Reply #15 on: July 10, 2013, 06:49:30 AM »

I've asked myself many times over the last 10 years, what somebody does with a bushel crabs or two each week? Huh  I have been culling out 18 of the best of the breed for a number of years.  Usually sick of crab by the 4th of July.  This year I have 2 more mouths to feed so I'm adjusting the number...  So far this year we have not caught enough to have anything left over to pick and freeze. Undecided

Usually have 8-15 ppl over every weekend. Crabbin for a pool party saturday.. More friends=more crabs needed Smiley

Ron
Lifetime Member
Global Moderator

RonMeischker https://www.linkedin.com/profile/view?id=220842455&trk=nav_respon RMeischker
« Reply #16 on: July 10, 2013, 07:02:07 AM »

This all depends on the individual and how they utilize what they catch.   

In our house, what we don't clean, halve and freeze for spaghetti sauce gets steamed immediately.    After steaming, whatever doesn't get eaten within a couple of days, gets picked and made into crab cakes or soup, and the balance of the meat gets sealed and frozen for later use.     We typically have enough meat or cleaned halves stored at the end of the season to eat crabs and spaghetti once per week throughout the winter, and to have another crab related dish (soup, cakes, salad, steak or burger toppers, stuffed jalapenos, etc.) 1-2 times per week until the season roles around again.

Blue Crab Advisor to the NJ Marine Fisheries Council

11th Annual Assault on Patcong Creek Crabbing Tournament & BBQ
America's Largest Crabbing Tournament
June 26 & 27th, 2020
Somers Point, NJ

http://www.assaultonpatcongcreek.com

To Register:
http://assaultonpatcongcreek.com/the-crabbing-tournament/tournament-registration/

Check out the tournament's page on Facebook!
https://www.facebook.com/assaultonpatcongcreek
on the hook
Lifetime Member

Location: Central Pa/S Jersey till I can find some work somewhere

I love crabs!

Ignore
« Reply #17 on: July 10, 2013, 08:10:07 AM »

All depends....I don't go much, so...

When I did go a lot, I had a kinda limit...I Wanted at least a dozen, but 2 dozen would be great and if I had 30-36 that was enough, IF IT WAS JUST ME......Obviously if I had a great day, I would give a few dozen away, but by myself, the MOST I ever kept was 5dozen plus and that was about a good hour of crabbing, so I'd guess if I stayed??

I'm niether proud nor embarrassed, I'm a man....Sometimes I sh!t my pants.....It's part of the deal.
headbanger
Lifetime Member

Ignore
« Reply #18 on: July 10, 2013, 08:23:16 AM »

What about the recs that go Thurs, Friday, and Sat every week?   Roll Eyes  Must be REALLY hungry...

Angry   And what rules or regs does that break going half amount of time allowed on the water?  Nice generalized biased statement to one group, awesome contribution to the conversation, thank you very much.
headbanger
Lifetime Member

Ignore
« Reply #19 on: July 10, 2013, 08:34:15 AM »

Good question Frank but everyone will have different reasons what and how they do things.  I usually have a target size crab in mind, usually 5.5" as a keeper.  If I am catching good size raise closer to 6", if slow might drop to heavy 5.25 size.  I am catching for myself most times and out solo due to the boat type and size so I do not need to bushel out.  I eat what I can in two days and pick the balance for cakes.  I did not like the frozen meat so no need to me to take more than I can eat fresh.   

Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 5   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to:  

Home