December 14, 2019, 07:39:02 AM

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Total time logged in: 0 minutes.

Home   Help Login Register  

A D V E R T I S E M E N T

Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 5   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: How many Crabs do we really need ?  (Read 19276 times)
fishingtom
In Memoriam 08/2015
Lifetime Member

Sarcasm is a body's natural defense against stupid

Ignore
« Reply #20 on: July 10, 2013, 08:35:25 AM »

This all depends on the individual and how they utilize what they catch.   

In our house, what we don't clean, halve and freeze for spaghetti sauce gets steamed immediately.    After steaming, whatever doesn't get eaten within a couple of days, gets picked and made into crab cakes or soup, and the balance of the meat gets sealed and frozen for later use.     We typically have enough meat or cleaned halves stored at the end of the season to eat crabs and spaghetti once per week throughout the winter, and to have another crab related dish (soup, cakes, salad, steak or burger toppers, stuffed jalapenos, etc.) 1-2 times per week until the season roles around again.
X2
rapp414

« Reply #21 on: July 10, 2013, 09:44:38 AM »

This all depends on the individual and how they utilize what they catch.   

In our house, what we don't clean, halve and freeze for spaghetti sauce gets steamed immediately.    After steaming, whatever doesn't get eaten within a couple of days, gets picked and made into crab cakes or soup, and the balance of the meat gets sealed and frozen for later use.     We typically have enough meat or cleaned halves stored at the end of the season to eat crabs and spaghetti once per week throughout the winter, and to have another crab related dish (soup, cakes, salad, steak or burger toppers, stuffed jalapenos, etc.) 1-2 times per week until the season roles around again.
That really makes sense Ron,It is different with each individual and I guess as long as nothing is going to waste and you're within the legal limits set by people who hopefully know what they're doing,it should sustain the population.I guess the main thing is for us all to be conscientious of how much we really need and just take that,although this year we may need more than what we're getting if it stays like this Smiley
wag
Lifetime Member

Ignore
« Reply #22 on: July 10, 2013, 10:20:11 AM »

Usually try to catch my rec. limit (12 doz.) every time out with a  5 1/2"  min size.

Like  Ronster says what ever left after about 2 days ---- half-it clean for freezer to

be used in stew / gumbo later in off season. 

---> Louisiana <---
Seaweed
Lifetime Member

Beware of the guy in orange

Ignore
« Reply #23 on: July 10, 2013, 10:26:27 AM »

Angry   And what rules or regs does that break going half amount of time allowed on the water?  Nice generalized biased statement to one group, awesome contribution to the conversation, thank you very much.

It doesn't break any rules, and I never said it did.  I said "it makes you wonder."  And if you don't break any laws related to crabbing, you don't have to worry about it, do you? 

So thank YOU for YOUR awesome contribution to the conversation.  Smiley

Git 'r dun!
SHELLFISH
Lifetime Member

Formerly Bogman102

Ignore
« Reply #24 on: July 10, 2013, 10:30:04 AM »

I come from the land of few crabs that are here for only a short period of time. Usually mid August to mid Oct.
It's only me eating them. When they are here I try to go out at least twice a week for around a dozen each time.
Crabs only last about three days in my fridge so by the time they are starting to turn I have finished them. I then go get some more.
I can not just pick crabs for the meat! I have to eat them too! So no meat gets frozen for later use.

I'll be in Florida soon where the crabs are supposed to be year round. I have found this to be not true and have been skunked many times with topless traps! Yes you can catch an occassional crab year round but the run is from May thru October or so. They have just started running in good numbers. The comms leave the traps in the water always so they will get the crabs year round but in lesser numbers over the winter.  When I get there permanant I'll have a better handle on things. I'm sure my take there will be about the same.
« Last Edit: July 10, 2013, 10:33:09 AM by SHELLFISH » Logged

Retired in paradise!

Crab Shack
Lifetime Member

BITE ME

Ignore
« Reply #25 on: July 10, 2013, 10:58:47 AM »

All depends....I don't go much, so...

Val, I don't go much either, been told to try ex-lax.

NO CRABS WERE HARMED IN THE PRODUCTION OF THIS POST
WHAT WE'VE GOT HERE IS...FAILURE TO COMMUNICATE
YOU CAN'T FIX STUPID
fishingtom
In Memoriam 08/2015
Lifetime Member

Sarcasm is a body's natural defense against stupid

Ignore
« Reply #26 on: July 10, 2013, 11:00:04 AM »

I have to get a bunch of meat frozen for the winter.  My wife is absolutely crab crazy.  We have crab something at least twice a week all year long.  She is amazing, never gets tired of them.  As many as I bring home she will pick and vacuum seal as long as she can eat some while she is picking.  I went out and bought a chest freezer so I would have room for something other than crabmeat.  Don't believe me?  Come to the Wye party and watch her tear into a big pile of crabs.  That being after a whole summer of me keeping crabs in the fridge constantly from the beginning of the season...
flounderpounder
Lifetime Member

Ignore
« Reply #27 on: July 10, 2013, 11:02:25 AM »

Kinda makes you wonder,  Must be REALLY hungry...

Kinda like a comm just makin enough to buy more bait. Just dosent make sense...but they keep doing it :/

" I CAN SKIN A BUCK, I CAN RUN A TROT LINE A PA BOY CAN SURVIVE" 

"YOU CAN LOVE ME OR HATE ME, BUT WHEN YOU HATE ME, YOU LOVE TO HATE ME "Wink
rapp414

« Reply #28 on: July 10, 2013, 11:09:39 AM »

I have to get a bunch of meat frozen for the winter.  My wife is absolutely crab crazy.  We have crab something at least twice a week all year long.  She is amazing, never gets tired of them.  As many as I bring home she will pick and vacuum seal as long as she can eat some while she is picking.  I went out and bought a chest freezer so I would have room for something other than crabmeat.  Don't believe me?  Come to the Wye party and watch her tear into a big pile of crabs.  That being after a whole summer of me keeping crabs in the fridge constantly from the beginning of the season...
I'm lucky in that regard also Tom,my wife encourages me to crab ,because she likes the crabs,and it don't take much to get me to crab
TAJcrabs

@tajacks10

Ignore
« Reply #29 on: July 10, 2013, 11:19:00 AM »

lets be honest Frank, your wife likes you to crab so you are not at home bothering her... lol same for mine!!

headbanger
Lifetime Member

Ignore
« Reply #30 on: July 10, 2013, 11:32:11 AM »

Val, I don't go much either, been told to try ex-lax.

laugh laugh laugh laugh laugh laugh laugh laugh laugh
Grizzly36

Ignore
« Reply #31 on: July 10, 2013, 11:38:25 AM »

lets be honest Frank, your wife likes you to crab so you are not at home breaking or losing her stuff... lol same for mine!!

fixed it for you

My take depends on whats going on and the amount of time I have.  If I need alot I'll try for it if i have some time off and will be able to clean whatever i can't eat in 2 or 3 days than ill take as much as i can legally catch.  I'm not a hardcore crabber and usually take the wife and kid so 4-5 hours on the water is about all I prefer to do.  So whatever i have caught in that amount of time usaully goes home.  If its for a family get together I'm satisfied with about 3 dozen. thats plenty for the 12 people that usually come around.  Not everyone eats alot of crabs and we always have other grilled food or seafood on the menu.
« Last Edit: July 10, 2013, 11:44:12 AM by Grizzly36 » Logged

Trips              
Bushels          
Traps            
Trotline      
Crabs picked
Crabslayer

Chesapeake Bay Crab Potter soon to be Java Sea

Ignore
« Reply #32 on: July 10, 2013, 11:50:27 AM »

It doesn't break any rules, and I never said it did.  I said "it makes you wonder."  And if you don't break any laws related to crabbing, you don't have to worry about it, do you? 

So thank YOU for YOUR awesome contribution to the conversation.  Smiley

You really know how to put your foot in your mouth, Jeffy!  Grin

This is how it's going to go.  After I kick your A$$ i'm going to run you through the wood chipper and put you in containers in the freezer to use in my crab pots!  The really sad part?  You let an old man kick your A$$!!!
rapp414

« Reply #33 on: July 10, 2013, 01:57:38 PM »

lets be honest Frank, your wife likes you to crab so you are not at home bothering her... lol same for mine!!
Gotta agree with you,Tom
CrabDog
Lifetime Member

Ignore
« Reply #34 on: July 10, 2013, 02:11:25 PM »

Frank,

I have a novel idea... how about you crab and keep the few dozen you can eat then put the "other" crabs form you bushel into a basket and give them to me ......  thereby you will only take what "you "need and you will be paying me back for all the onrey comments you keep making about the ole dog.... Grin

MD / PA Line

rapp414

« Reply #35 on: July 10, 2013, 03:08:11 PM »

Frank,

I have a novel idea... how about you crab and keep the few dozen you can eat then put the "other" crabs form you bushel into a basket and give them to me ......  thereby you will only take what "you "need and you will be paying me back for all the onrey comments you keep making about the ole dog.... Grin
I think I owes ya lots of crabs Wink Wink Wink Wink Wink
luv jerzeeblues
Lifetime Member

Ignore
« Reply #36 on: July 11, 2013, 12:33:27 AM »

As long as your catch is legal, and you don't waste what you keep, it's all good. If I catch more than I personally need, there's always a few family members or friends, that enjoy some fresh caught crabs dropped off at thier door. Since I moved from the shore years ago, I don't get to go more than a handful of times, each year. So, I usually don't set a limit.
Ron
Lifetime Member
Global Moderator

RonMeischker https://www.linkedin.com/profile/view?id=220842455&trk=nav_respon RMeischker
« Reply #37 on: July 11, 2013, 06:05:01 AM »

This is a good topic, with the exception of a couple of posts which I have purged out of here this morning.    While it's ok to have a difference of opinion, how you go about expressing that difference needs to be in a civil and respectful manner.   

Thanks.

Blue Crab Advisor to the NJ Marine Fisheries Council

11th Annual Assault on Patcong Creek Crabbing Tournament & BBQ
America's Largest Crabbing Tournament
June 26 & 27th, 2020
Somers Point, NJ

http://www.assaultonpatcongcreek.com

To Register:
http://assaultonpatcongcreek.com/the-crabbing-tournament/tournament-registration/

Check out the tournament's page on Facebook!
https://www.facebook.com/assaultonpatcongcreek
CrabDog
Lifetime Member

Ignore
« Reply #38 on: July 11, 2013, 08:14:10 AM »

I think I owes ya lots of crabs Wink Wink Wink Wink Wink

yes you do my friend....  Wink  But honestly it falls back to the old motto "limit your harvest/kill vs killing/ harvesting your limit"  but if you are within the rules/laws than it is a personal choice IMHO.. if you get a 1/2 basket and that is all you need then fine.. if you want a whole basket or two with a second person and can eat them all and pick the meat to freeze, make soup or cakes than so be it... I usually take more toward the end of the season to put up some cakes and soup just to have some over winter.. but normally I take what I know will get eaten or support a crab feast as needed... I do not try to become the crab supplier for the neighborhood though.... except maybe a few extra to take to Mom   Wink Grin

MD / PA Line
MetroMan

Ignore
« Reply #39 on: July 11, 2013, 08:17:27 AM »

Good topic indeed. I've talked about this very same topic with my kayak buddies. The full bushel, FOR US, have been for bragging rights. My household can't finish a bushel. They don't go to waste though. They make for happy family members and neighbors. Along with a supply of crab meat in the freezer for crab cakes at a later date. That being said, we have said that in the future, we will cull even futher for 2-3 doz bigguns for the table.

The culling will more than likely take place after taking a pic of the full bushel basket...for bragging rights LOL!

Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 5   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to:  

Home