January 20, 2020, 07:45:40 AM

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Total time logged in: 0 minutes.

Home   Help Login Register  

A D V E R T I S E M E N T

Pages: 1 [2] 3   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Pregnant Females  (Read 5923 times)
Luna Sea 3

Ignore
« Reply #20 on: July 24, 2013, 06:27:10 PM »

The male may mate during its third or fourth intermolt phase after it matures. Females mate only once in their lives immediately following the pubertal, or so-called terminal molt.

The sperm packets are stored inside the female in special receptacles, or sacs, known as spermathecae, which lie just inside the gonopore. These sperm are believed to be viable for as long as the female is alive. Although a female will mate only once, she may produce many fertilized egg masses during her lifetime from this single mating. Fertilization occurs each time a new egg mass is produced by the ovaries until the sperm reserves are depleted. Studies in Florida found that some female crabs produce as many as seven broods (sponges) in one year from a single mating, and up to 18 broods over 22 years.

Is this good enough for you?

Luna Sea 5
VHF 68/72
[email protected]
jack1747
Lifetime Member
Global Moderator

Crab'n is a way of life....

« Reply #21 on: July 24, 2013, 06:50:04 PM »

yes and no.. Female crabs will mate once but lay eggs a few times.  If the female is very large, hence, being OLDER, the odds that she sponged her maximum amount of times have increased to about 90%.. This means that there is only a 10% chance or less that she is still carrying fertilized eggs.  I, for one, throw them all back..
Ya missed one fact... 99.999% of Sooks never molt after their terminal molt.  Hence... Being very large is not a function of being older... Wink

"Helping to Moderate the BCA since 2003" "I've gotten to the point in my life where I no longer give a [shiz] what people think, I'm not going to take any [shiz], because, frankly my dears, I am NOT in the [shiz] business." Quote from Suzy. :-)
Mikie

Ignore
« Reply #22 on: July 24, 2013, 07:29:40 PM »

Ya missed one fact... 99.999% of Sooks never molt after their terminal molt.  Hence... Being very large is not a function of being older... Wink

That was my point with asking the question of the self appointed Professor for where he got his facts.
jack1747
Lifetime Member
Global Moderator

« Reply #23 on: July 24, 2013, 07:33:31 PM »

That was my point with asking the question of the self appointed Professor for where he got his facts.
Sorry Mikie.... Busy as L right now n not reading all the stuff.. Undecided

"Helping to Moderate the BCA since 2003" "I've gotten to the point in my life where I no longer give a [shiz] what people think, I'm not going to take any [shiz], because, frankly my dears, I am NOT in the [shiz] business." Quote from Suzy. :-)
Mikie

Ignore
« Reply #24 on: July 24, 2013, 07:35:08 PM »

Sorry Mikie.... Busy as L right now n not reading all the stuff.. Undecided

Glad you brought it out, Jack. Saved me from having to do it.

Luna Sea 3

Ignore
« Reply #25 on: July 24, 2013, 07:35:41 PM »

I have never, ever met so many negative people then I notice on this site.  Really... the facts i posted are from this SITE

Luna Sea 5
VHF 68/72
[email protected]
flounderpounder
Lifetime Member

Ignore
« Reply #26 on: July 24, 2013, 07:38:53 PM »

Professor Google ? Lmao

" I CAN SKIN A BUCK, I CAN RUN A TROT LINE A PA BOY CAN SURVIVE" 

"YOU CAN LOVE ME OR HATE ME, BUT WHEN YOU HATE ME, YOU LOVE TO HATE ME "Wink
jack1747
Lifetime Member
Global Moderator

« Reply #27 on: July 24, 2013, 07:51:42 PM »

I have never, ever met so many negative people then I notice on this site.  Really... the facts i posted are from this SITE
There is somewhere on BCA that says sooks that are bigger are from more then the terminal molt? Huh

Luna Sea 3

Ignore
« Reply #28 on: July 24, 2013, 07:54:56 PM »

Professor Google ? Lmao
I don't need google, but since everyone here need pictures or written proof, what else is there to do..

Luna Sea 5
VHF 68/72
[email protected]
flounderpounder
Lifetime Member

Ignore
« Reply #29 on: July 24, 2013, 07:56:42 PM »

Nah.. Sometimes just grumpy. Alot of us have to work all day.. Lol

" I CAN SKIN A BUCK, I CAN RUN A TROT LINE A PA BOY CAN SURVIVE" 

"YOU CAN LOVE ME OR HATE ME, BUT WHEN YOU HATE ME, YOU LOVE TO HATE ME "Wink

tugcapt

Ignore
« Reply #30 on: July 24, 2013, 07:57:55 PM »

There is something that mentions female DO or May continue to molt.

"Jeffery Shields of the Virginia Institute of Marine Science says that it was once believed that blue crabs experienced anecdysis or a terminal molt (in other words, the crab would never molt again and would remain the same size.) This molt was considered the second molt after puberty for males and the only molt after puberty for females. While this is generally the case, most portunid crabs do continue to molt."

Honorary Chesapeake Spudman
Luna Sea 3

Ignore
« Reply #31 on: July 24, 2013, 07:59:30 PM »

Nah.. Sometimes just grumpy. Alot of us have to work all day.. Lol
grumpy from working all day?  Then you are forgiven.. LOl..

Luna Sea 5
VHF 68/72
[email protected]
jack1747
Lifetime Member
Global Moderator

« Reply #32 on: July 24, 2013, 08:07:29 PM »

There is something that mentions female DO or May continue to molt.

"Jeffery Shields of the Virginia Institute of Marine Science says that it was once believed that blue crabs experienced anecdysis or a terminal molt (in other words, the crab would never molt again and would remain the same size.) This molt was considered the second molt after puberty for males and the only molt after puberty for females. While this is generally the case, most portunid crabs do continue to molt."
If ya search around you will find a post of mine with pics of a sook that shed in one of my tanks.

tugcapt

Ignore
« Reply #33 on: July 24, 2013, 08:11:06 PM »

I'm trying to upload a sook I bought from MR.BREEZE last year that was a red sign, almost 6". I steamed it up anyway and it tasted great!  laugh

I bought a dozen and this was one of them.
« Last Edit: July 24, 2013, 08:14:26 PM by tugcapt » Logged

Honorary Chesapeake Spudman
Ron
Lifetime Member
Global Moderator

RonMeischker https://www.linkedin.com/profile/view?id=220842455&trk=nav_respon RMeischker
« Reply #34 on: July 25, 2013, 06:26:36 AM »

Just because people don't agree with you doesn't make them negative people.    It just makes them people with different opinions.

Blue Crab Advisor to the NJ Marine Fisheries Council

11th Annual Assault on Patcong Creek Crabbing Tournament & BBQ
America's Largest Crabbing Tournament
June 26 & 27th, 2020
Somers Point, NJ

http://www.assaultonpatcongcreek.com

To Register:
http://assaultonpatcongcreek.com/the-crabbing-tournament/tournament-registration/

Check out the tournament's page on Facebook!
https://www.facebook.com/assaultonpatcongcreek

Crabbyd
Lifetime Member

5 beautiful girls.........and DONE!!!!!

Ignore
« Reply #35 on: July 25, 2013, 08:25:24 AM »

Just because people don't agree with you doesn't make them negative people.    It just makes them people with different opinions.

or different facts......   Grin Grin 

One thing for sure, the more we think we know about crabs, the more we figure out we really dont know anything concrete about them  laugh laugh

"Life is not a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in a pretty and well preserved body, but rather to skid in broadside, a crab in one hand, a beer in the other, thoroughly used up, totally worn out, and loudly proclaiming -- WOW--What a Ride!"
Ron
Lifetime Member
Global Moderator

RonMeischker https://www.linkedin.com/profile/view?id=220842455&trk=nav_respon RMeischker
« Reply #36 on: July 25, 2013, 08:27:12 AM »

I know what I need to know.   I know what's legal to keep and that they taste good.    Grin

June 26 & 27th, 2020
Somers Point, NJ

To Register:
http://assaultonpatcongcreek.com/the-crabbing-tournament/tournament-registration/

horsefly
Lifetime Member

Sunrise in Bath, NC

Ignore
« Reply #37 on: July 25, 2013, 08:30:08 AM »

or different facts......   Grin Grin 

One thing for sure, the more we think we know about crabs, the more we figure out we really dont know anything concrete about them  laugh laugh
I know one thing for sure and positive....crabs male or female taste so divinely awesome steamed up with your favorite spice and a cold beer on the side.  Shocked laugh

Lots of crabbers and crab lovers on here. If you enjoy crabs, lot's of info and good chat about crabs. Why not go ahead and donate to this forum. Deep down after doing research on here and chatting with others,you will find useful info from some new friends.ENJOY!!
Ron
Lifetime Member
Global Moderator

« Reply #38 on: July 25, 2013, 08:39:14 AM »

I know one thing for sure and positive....crabs male or female taste so divinely awesome steamed up with your favorite spice and a cold beer on the side.  Shocked laugh

thumbsup

June 26 & 27th, 2020
Somers Point, NJ

To Register:

wag
Lifetime Member

Ignore
« Reply #39 on: July 25, 2013, 08:53:09 AM »

I know what I need to know.   I know what's legal to keep and that they taste good.    Grin

---> Louisiana <---

Pages: 1 [2] 3   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to:  

Home