November 16, 2018, 07:19:31 PM

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Total time logged in: 0 minutes.

Home   Help Login Register  

A D V E R T I S E M E N T

Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: VA to mine fossilized oyster shells  (Read 2429 times)
jack1747
Lifetime Member
Global Moderator

Crab'n is a way of life....

« on: August 08, 2013, 08:09:21 AM »

Governor Bob McDonnell today announced that the state has begun an operation to mine fossilized oyster shells from beneath the James River as part of the largest oyster replenishment initiative in state history.

"This historic initiative will provide significant ecological and economic benefits for years to come,' Governor McDonnell said. "This is a win for the health of the Chesapeake Bay, for oyster-lovers and for our hard-working watermen."

Complete story -> http://www.governor.virginia.gov/news/viewRelease.cfm?id=1884

"Helping to Moderate the BCA since 2003"
Grizzly36

Ignore
« Reply #1 on: August 08, 2013, 08:30:01 AM »

Thoase are some big dollar amounts they are throwing around.  I have nothing to base this on other than personnal beleif but is there not a more efficient way to spend that money to get the same result?  As far as dredging up old shells.  They can't find shells somewhere else that could be used and would cost less to gain access to?

I'm all for anything that helps clean our waterways and helps sustain our resources but that just seems kind of over the top and really expensive.

Trips              
Bushels          
Traps            
Trotline      
Crabs picked
Ron
Lifetime Member
Global Moderator

RonMeischker https://www.linkedin.com/profile/view?id=220842455&trk=nav_respon RMeischker
« Reply #2 on: August 08, 2013, 11:44:55 AM »

Using that $1=$7 ratio in the article, looks like a sound investment to me.

10th Annual Assault on Patcong Creek Crabbing Tournament & BBQ
America's Largest Crabbing Tournament
June 21-22, 2019
Somers Point, NJ

http://www.assaultonpatcongcreek.com

To Register:
http://assaultonpatcongcreek.com/the-crabbing-tournament/tournament-registration/

Check out the tournament's page on Facebook!
https://www.facebook.com/assaultonpatcongcreek
Grizzly36

Ignore
« Reply #3 on: August 08, 2013, 11:51:10 AM »

I saw that too.  And it does sound very good.  Sometime you see those big numbers and you just got to wonder if there is a more efficient/ cost effective way of doing things. I kow it sounds like criticism and all but just more curious than anything I guess. 

Are those beds that their making how well do they stand up to mother nature?

Trips              
Bushels          
Traps            
Trotline      
Crabs picked
rapp414

« Reply #4 on: August 08, 2013, 12:04:40 PM »

I saw that too.  And it does sound very good.  Sometime you see those big numbers and you just got to wonder if there is a more efficient/ cost effective way of doing things. I kow it sounds like criticism and all but just more curious than anything I guess. 

Are those beds that their making how well do they stand up to mother nature?
Grizzly,I see your point,but it looks like a great idea to me especially since it worked before,its sad Government can't do more things like this,you don't mind seeing tax dollars invested,rather than spent.

chesapeak

Ignore
« Reply #5 on: August 09, 2013, 12:33:41 AM »

I am all in favor of replenishment efforts involving oysters. It should be a major priority for any government that borders oyster sustaining waters. What concerns me is what dredging 40' deep into the James is going to do to that ecosystem. They are moving a lot of barges of stuff from under the James. Are they sacrificing that river for this oyster project?  I don't know but I bet James river people are pissed and wished some of that shell would be used in their own river since sediment is likely to increase after all the dredging activity. Could you imagine barges dredging 40' deep in the Wye?

They have voluntary oyster shell recycling programs here in NC. They have two 50 gal barrels waiting at each local dump and the guy tells me they fill them once a month at most. In the meantime the guy with the local seafood shop is selling 100 bushels a week. That means lots of oyster shells do not get recycled. My son and daughter both work at different OBX restaurants that specialize in seafood. My kids they tell me that the restaurants simply dump all their oyster and clam shells in the trash dumpster. I eat a good bit of oysters and make sure all my shells go back in the water where they belong. Some sort of mandatory recycling is the answer.
« Last Edit: August 09, 2013, 12:36:22 AM by chesapeak » Logged

I love the late summer and fall. We are over the hump now. Things start to slow down. The vacationers start to leave and traffic starts getting back to normal. The ducks are going to be coming in and the crabs are the biggest and heaviest of the year.

Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to:  

Home