February 21, 2019, 07:25:42 PM

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Total time logged in: 0 minutes.

Home   Help Login Register  

A D V E R T I S E M E N T

Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Anybody Use a 20 Guage For Deer?  (Read 4777 times)
bassman349

Ignore
« on: August 09, 2013, 01:44:23 PM »

I'm curious as to whether or not a 20 ga. sabot is as effective as a 12.  I tried some Hornady SST 12 ga. on the bench rest last year and they beat the living snot right out of me, not to mention the cut on my nose from the scope.  5 rounds and I was done, fairly well sighted in I think, but scared to pull the trigger again. I'm sure there would be no problem with it on the deer stand as I know the bench rest is awkward and recoil seems to be felt a lot more.

I have hunted for years with the 12 and using Winchester BRI sabots, which are very accurate with my setup, but every deer I shoot through the boiler room runs 100+ yds. before it falls. I'm getting too old to drag them around much, so I like a setup that will drop them quickly with a heart or lung shot. That is why I am trying the Hornady with more velocity and muzzle energy and different slug design than the Winchester.  Only problem is trying to sight in effectively on the bench with the massive recoil causing near fright.
If anyone has been shooting deer with a high speed 20 ga. slug, let me know what the results were. 
CrabDog
Lifetime Member

Ignore
« Reply #1 on: August 09, 2013, 02:41:05 PM »

20 guage will work fine for deer slug gun also but I would not go any lighter gauge.. my niece uses a 20 gauge slugger... and kills deer out to 100 yds...

If it makes you feel better I have a very tough niece though.............  no offense.....  laugh laugh laugh

I shot 12 gauge slugger and to be honest shooting it now it will give you a pounding.... I usually lay a couple of folded up towels or a recoil pad for sighting in...during warm months when you may have on nothing more than a t shirt.... when deer hunting you don't feel no where near as much recoil as you have on a pile of heavy huntngn clothes coats, bibs coveralls etc.

Also are you shooting 3 inch mag slugs.. if so go down to the 2 3/4 inch slugs I shot them and they are effective out to 125 yrds on a rifled slug barreled shotgun..... I shot an remington 870 pro diamond scope 4x32 with monte carlos stock... it is pump and it pounds ya.. 3 inch were killers so I went down to 2 3/4 inch winchester partition gold slugs run 1950 fps hot rounds... and I have killed many deer with that round... up to 100-125 yds.  3 inches is fine if you got a semi auto tht uses some of the recoil energy to chamber the next round but on a single shot or pump they will beat ya... so try recoil pad or several towels folded up behind stock of gun when sighting in ( same as having a pile of winter hunting clothes on)  and 20 gauge will do fine as slug gun for deer however for duck and geese it is not gonna cut it except for close shoots especially with non toxic shot....  So if yuou have a 20 gauge you can try it.. but I wouldn't go out and buy one jsut to use for deeer as the recoil isn't going to be that much different epsecially if you go and get a 20 gauge pump and are still shooting 3 inch mag slugs.... try the usign the 2 3/4 inch slugs on your sexisting 12 gauge and some towels or recoil pad first.  you wil find the 2 3/4 wil shoot about 1/2 low at 50 yds 1 inch lower at 75 yds and about 1 1/4 - 1 1/2 lower at 100yds..  But that shoudl still keep you in a 8 inche diameter and stil be a kill shot on a deer's vitals... or you can tweak that lighter slug a bit... you will need to ajsut yor sight picture up... I usually sight in dead on at 50 yds about 1 inch low and 100 and 1 1/2inch low at 125.  Also if you have a scope on your shotgun for der make sure it is a shotgun scope not a rifle scope and the recoil will blow out the reticles on the scope and tha tis another reason why I shoot 2 3/4 as I have a shotgun scope on my deer gun and the 3 wil rattle it loose soner or later .. open sights not an issue but open sights making 100 plus yards shoots is togh and I guess you got better eyes than me ....   laugh

good luck and try lighter loads first ...... and make  few tweaks as needed

I have found that winchester X and now platinum tip and now the partition gold sabots all shoot the best in my remington 870 rifled barrel.. remington slugs shot like [curd] in it hav not tried the hornady sabots but I do use hornady's in my BLack poweder inline and the shot great. 
« Last Edit: August 09, 2013, 02:43:45 PM by CrabDog » Logged

MD / PA Line
bassman349

Ignore
« Reply #2 on: August 09, 2013, 04:18:45 PM »

I always use the 2-3/4" loads.  I will say that the Hornady SST round offers up more recoil than my 300 WinMag.  As long as I can tame it down some with extra padding on the bench, I may give them another chance.  I always like to be sighted in the best that it can be, so bench rest technique is important and flinching is not good. I have a good feeling about the SST rounds, considering the velocity and energy.  I know that a good shot with my 300 mag. and a deer will not run more than 2 feet. I'm hoping for the same results with the Hornady SST.
flounderpounder
Lifetime Member

Ignore
« Reply #3 on: August 10, 2013, 01:08:24 AM »

They work good. Dont expect too many pass thru shots at longer distances though.

" I CAN SKIN A BUCK, I CAN RUN A TROT LINE A PA BOY CAN SURVIVE" 

"YOU CAN LOVE ME OR HATE ME, BUT WHEN YOU HATE ME, YOU LOVE TO HATE ME "Wink
shedking
Lifetime Member

Weeziana crabbing

Al Sheely

Ignore
« Reply #4 on: August 10, 2013, 06:39:21 AM »

I've seen many a nice deer felled by a 20 Guage. Both smooth bite and sabots

Each one of us here today will at one time in our lives look upon a loved one who is in need and ask the same question: We are willing to help, Lord, but what, if anything, is needed? For it is true we can seldom help those closest to us. Either we don't know what part of ourselves to give or, more often than not, the part we have to give is not wanted. And so it is those we live with and should know who elude us. But we can still love them - we can love completely without complete understanding.

ChrisS

Ignore
« Reply #5 on: August 10, 2013, 07:22:49 AM »

If you want deer to drop in tracks, shoot em in the neck.

Otherwise, more often than not regardless of what you use, deer will run even with a well placed heart shot.

in·teg·ri·ty   
–noun 1. adherence to moral and ethical principles; soundness of moral character; honesty
lone sailor

Ignore
« Reply #6 on: August 10, 2013, 07:22:57 AM »

A 20 gauge works just fine. I use an H&R Ultra Slug in 20ga for Baltimore County. Most shots arent over 80 yards but have never had a problem. Shot an 8pt buck on a dead run towards me and he piled up pretty quick. It also tears them up enough I wouldnt want to use a 12 ga.
shedking
Lifetime Member

Weeziana crabbing

Al Sheely

Ignore
« Reply #7 on: August 10, 2013, 11:27:59 AM »

Last year

Each one of us here today will at one time in our lives look upon a loved one who is in need and ask the same question: We are willing to help, Lord, but what, if anything, is needed? For it is true we can seldom help those closest to us. Either we don't know what part of ourselves to give or, more often than not, the part we have to give is not wanted. And so it is those we live with and should know who elude us. But we can still love them - we can love completely without complete understanding.
flounderpounder
Lifetime Member

Ignore
« Reply #8 on: August 10, 2013, 05:59:16 PM »

If you want deer to drop in tracks, shoot em in the neck.

Otherwise, more often than not regardless of what you use, deer will run even with a well placed heart shot.

High shoulder will drop em pretty well to.

" I CAN SKIN A BUCK, I CAN RUN A TROT LINE A PA BOY CAN SURVIVE" 

"YOU CAN LOVE ME OR HATE ME, BUT WHEN YOU HATE ME, YOU LOVE TO HATE ME "Wink
indoe
Lifetime Member

me and the wife

Ignore
« Reply #9 on: August 10, 2013, 08:11:00 PM »

I was just about to say that pounder. Shoot them threw the 2 front shoulders. They will not go that far. I would also try some different padding. That should help a lot.

Crabbing, Fishing and Hunting = Me happy!

ycrazfor

Ignore
« Reply #10 on: August 18, 2013, 03:11:32 AM »

I know a few that use a 20 Ga to hunt deer and they love them. as the drop where you shoot i do neck shots and it works great for me  because of health reason i cant drag the deer so i dont want my hunting partner walking far or doing a long drag
lefty87

Doc says I've caught the CRAB FEVER

Ignore
« Reply #11 on: September 30, 2013, 08:10:22 AM »

I have a H&R and it throws lead fine for deer hunting.  Like Flounder said, you will get some non complete pass throughs sometimes esp from a shoulder to shoulder shot, but it is not a big deal since the collateral damage is bad enough where the deer shouldn't be too far away from the initial shot anyways.  12 gauge or 20 gauge, it is all about shot placement.

Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to:  

Home