April 10, 2021, 07:22:28 AM

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Total time logged in: 0 minutes.

Home   Help Login Register  

A D V E R T I S E M E N T

Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Maryland VS Va. Crab Law Crab Pots Ect  (Read 12429 times)
Darrell

Ignore
« on: August 30, 2003, 10:22:23 PM »

Grin In Virginia waters I belive as I have read the Va laws that "any person" can set two crab pots. These are the real commercial type ,without being a land owner. In Maryland a person must own the shore property to use this type. Now in Maryland a person can use a 600 ft trotline and 1200 ft with a rec crabber license but in Va you must obtain a rec commercial gear license and then can only run a 300 ft trotline. I have always wanted to set a couple of the commercial type pots but never have.. Any comments on these laws? Have I got it right or am I out for a set of steel bracelets!
jack1747
Lifetime Member
Global Moderator

Crab'n is a way of life....

« Reply #1 on: August 31, 2003, 06:54:03 PM »

In Va you can get a Rec. Crab license which allows you to set 5 pots. But with a Rec. Crab license remeber that you can not attend the pots on Sundays. . So if your and your better half each get a fishing license you can do 4 pots but you both got to be in the boat and you can crab on Sunday.
« Last Edit: January 04, 2005, 11:41:42 AM by jack1747 » Logged

"Helping to Moderate the BCA since 2003" "I've gotten to the point in my life where I no longer give a [shiz] what people think, I'm not going to take any [shiz], because, frankly my dears, I am NOT in the [shiz] business." Quote from Suzy. :-)
Darrell

Ignore
« Reply #2 on: August 31, 2003, 09:26:34 PM »

Grin Thanks for squareing that away. Tell me am I right if you know about the 300 ft trotline lenght . also I belive that the rec license has to be bought from the Marine Police attached to a county and are not avalible at stores as such also I understand they have to be bought before the crab seasoon starts True or not?
CRABGUY
Lifetime Member

FRYGUY

CRABMAN RUSS

Ignore
« Reply #3 on: August 31, 2003, 10:14:13 PM »

http://www.mrc.state.va.us/recfish&crabrules.htm
HERES THE REAL SKINNY FROM THE BRACELET KEEPERS
WEB SITE
THE WAY I READ IT YOU DONT EVEN NEED A FISHING LICENSE AS LONG AS YOU ONLY USE 2 POTS/TRAPS
PER PERSON Shocked
  SEE #1 UNDER EXEMPTIONS
YOU CAN RUN HAND LINES ALL THE WAY AROUND YOUR BOAT
 1 BUSHEL PER VESSEL AND 2 DOZEN PEELERS

I KEEP A COPY OF THIS ON THE BOAT
BARNEY FIFE INSURANCE

CRABGUY
« Last Edit: August 31, 2003, 10:28:28 PM by CRABGUY » Logged
Crabby Tag

Crabber Geting better ;-]

Ignore
« Reply #4 on: September 01, 2003, 12:15:24 AM »

Ahmen an answear    

Tom Powers

Ignore
« Reply #5 on: September 01, 2003, 08:23:33 PM »

No you do not have to have any license to run two crab pots per person in VA.  Here is the section of state code.

28.2-226. Exemptions from licensing requirements.

A. The following activities are exempt from the licensing requirements of this subtitle:

1. Except as otherwise provided by regulation, taking by dip net, hand line, or two crab pots, as much as one bushel of hard crabs and two dozen peeler crabs in any one day for personal use only.

2. Taking a maximum of one bushel of oysters in any one day for personal use, when taken by hand or with ordinary tongs.

3. Taking a maximum of 250 clams in any one day for personal use, when taken by hand or with ordinary tongs.

4. Using one tank or float no greater than four feet in width and eight feet in length for shedding crabs for personal use.

B. No license shall be required of an oyster grounds leaseholder, or other person authorized or employed by a leaseholder, to harvest oysters or clams from the leasehold. However, this exemption shall not apply to other requirements to obtain permits, including those permits for dredging or scraping on leaseholds provided in 28.2-516, or for removal and transportation of shellfish from condemned areas as required by 28.2-810 and 28.2-811.

End of quoted code.

But one thing watch out for the mid bay santurary (most waters 30 feet deep or deeper)  that area is closed to all crabbing from June 1 to Sept 15.  

Oh and it is 5 crab pots per licensed recreational crabber for $29.00 as per the following link.

http://www.mrc.state.va.us/fr670.htm

And a recreational fishing license is $7.50 per person or $30 for a boat license.  

Tom

« Last Edit: September 01, 2003, 08:31:01 PM by Tom Powers » Logged
CRABGUY
Lifetime Member

FRYGUY

CRABMAN RUSS

Ignore
« Reply #6 on: September 01, 2003, 09:30:48 PM »

Grin Grin Grin
PRINT OUT A COPY OF THE VMRC REGULATIONS PAGE
AND CARY IT WITH YOU ON YOUR BOAT OR PERSON
SO WHEN BARNEY WHIPS OUT THE CITATION BOOK YOU CAN QUOTE FROM THE BOOK
THERES NOT MUCH ROOM FOR INTERPRETATION
Tom Powers

Ignore
« Reply #7 on: September 02, 2003, 11:06:58 PM »

And do not forget you are allowed 10 undersized crabs per standard US bushel.  If you have only 10 crabs in the basket and you only have one basket on the boat you are just starting that bushel.  I haven't tried that one but in theory if you have a half of a bushel and you have 8 undersized crabs in it you should be OK.  I would not try that with 16 undersized crabs in two half bushels.

Oh and the limit is on a per vessel basis when crabbing from a boat.

Tom

Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to:  

Home