December 17, 2018, 02:03:54 PM

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Total time logged in: 0 minutes.

Home   Help Login Register  

A D V E R T I S E M E N T

Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Funnel Traps vs Manual Door Traps  (Read 4114 times)
ralphrepo

Ignore
« on: August 24, 2013, 04:09:16 PM »

Newbie here; after reading a tremendous amount on the variety of traps, my question is, in terms of crabbing off a dock or pier (like at Captree State Park) would it be feasible to use multi-funnel type trap or would it be more productive to use the open door which is then slammed shut (by the user) during the trap retrieval pull up process? Or, would the funnel trap still work, but require longer 'soak' times in order to make them worthwhile? Thank you.

tattoo
Lifetime Member

MY BOAT CRAB TRAP

Ignore
« Reply #1 on: August 24, 2013, 04:35:42 PM »

i would go with the box traps .

A CRAB A DAY KEEPS THE DOCTOR AWAY.   

Click Here To Mount Your Crab
ralphrepo

Ignore
« Reply #2 on: August 24, 2013, 06:24:59 PM »

i would go with the box traps .

Thank you for the quick response. Since I'm rather very new at this and know exactly two days worth of scrounging on line for assorted bits and pieces of info, would you be so kind as to elaborate your rationale as to why one is preferred to the other? I had been sort of planned to just set a trap and pull it back up after an hour or two (hopefully with lots of crabs, LOL...) The box type, with its user activated doors seems to demand a tremendous amount of dedicated attention. Also, is there a legal or park limit to the number of traps that one can deploy simultaneously? Thank you.
dfran
In Memoriam 07/2017

Labs Rule !!!!!! Crabs ain't bad either !!!

Ignore
« Reply #3 on: August 24, 2013, 06:34:41 PM »

Newbie here; after reading a tremendous amount on the variety of traps, my question is, in terms of crabbing off a dock or pier (like at Captree State Park) would it be feasible to use multi-funnel type trap or would it be more productive to use the open door which is then slammed shut (by the user) during the trap retrieval pull up process? Or, would the funnel trap still work, but require longer 'soak' times in order to make them worthwhile? Thank you.

First question is; where is Captree State Park. You can't use the type of trap (funnel) in Md. unless you own waterfront property. If you are talking about NY then I suggest you post this in the New York section of the forum. Don't use the funnel type traps in Md., they are called ''pots'' not traps..

ralphrepo

Ignore
« Reply #4 on: August 24, 2013, 10:26:05 PM »

First question is; where is Captree State Park. You can't use the type of trap (funnel) in Md. unless you own waterfront property. If you are talking about NY then I suggest you post this in the New York section of the forum. Don't use the funnel type traps in Md., they are called ''pots'' not traps...

I see. Thank you. I was speaking strictly about New York, and sorry for the misunderstanding then. As I had stated before, I just started learning about all this a few days ago and I'm still having difficulty with the terminology. I apologize for posting the question here and will look for the New York section. Thank you.

Sunpal

Pickin' n' grinnin'

Ignore
« Reply #5 on: August 25, 2013, 10:54:05 AM »

Box traps are the best for crabbing for a few hours from a dock or Pier, and yes you check them frequently.  Crab pots are designed to be dropped for long periods, like overnight, and then pulled.  Check with the NY regs section, or go to the NY fish and game site to see what is required to own a crab pot, every state is different.

If it weren't for going in circles, I'd get nowhere
ralphrepo

Ignore
« Reply #6 on: August 25, 2013, 07:21:09 PM »

Box traps are the best for crabbing for a few hours from a dock or Pier, and yes you check them frequently.  Crab pots are designed to be dropped for long periods, like overnight, and then pulled.  Check with the NY regs section, or go to the NY fish and game site to see what is required to own a crab pot, every state is different.

Thanks for the info. I did check on the NYS DEC page, at http://www.dec.ny.gov/regs/4011.html#12966 regarding crabbing but saw nothing specific on overall usage location vis a vis type of traps; other than a prohibition on being at least a certain distance from navigation channels. I sent off an e-mail to DEC with the question about pots vs traps. Thank you again.

ATTN MODS: My apologies for posting this here. If possible can someone please move this thread to the proper NY forum? I would hate to be considered a problem member only after a few days. Thank you. 
Seanile
Lifetime Member
Global Moderator

WHEN THE CHICKEN NECK DROPS, THE BS STOPS

« Reply #7 on: August 25, 2013, 09:07:24 PM »

Moved.

Good luck with your inquiry to NY DEC. 

~ Bruce ~

If a man speaks at sea, where no woman can hear, is he still wrong?
BirdsNestKing
Supporting Member

Ignore
« Reply #8 on: August 25, 2013, 09:49:24 PM »

Go with box traps. I'd limit it to 2-4.....as you will do better moving around the pier till you find them and moving out of the current when it starts weeding your traps up. Weights in the traps are a must unless you want them to water ski.

At the end of the day, it's not about how many fish or crabs you put in the cooler but about how many memories you put in your life and the lives of your "mates".
ralphrepo

Ignore
« Reply #9 on: August 25, 2013, 10:25:24 PM »

Moved. Good luck with your inquiry to NY DEC.  

Thanks!

Go with box traps. I'd limit it to 2-4.....as you will do better moving around the pier till you find them and moving out of the current when it starts weeding your traps up. Weights in the traps are a must unless you want them to water ski.

Thanks, and LOL at "water ski" as that would exactly be just my kind of luck. Also, four traps sounds just great as I would probably go with at least one of my kids so there should be at least two (or more) of us on each outing. So we should be able to handle that. I guess it seems like the Box Trap is the way to go. Thank you again.

Additional questions at large: Of the Box Trap, do people prefer those with 2 or 4 doors? I saw some ads on Amazon for something by a company named Danielson, with 4 gravity trap doors that glows in the dark. However, one person commented that these traps were only good for west coast crabs and that it would not work for east coast Blue Crabs; was that a correct assessment? Also, is the "glow in the dark" feature genuinely effective, or is it just marketing hype? I also noticed that some swear by traps that are completely topless? But, wouldn't the crab easily escape when one pulls up the trap? I'm not sure I understand fully how that would even work. My apologies for asking so many (of what I'm sure is basic) questions, but I'm so new with this and it does seem like there are so many choices and options.
« Last Edit: August 25, 2013, 10:43:48 PM by ralphrepo » Logged

Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to:  

Home