July 11, 2020, 02:56:22 AM

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Total time logged in: 0 minutes.

Home   Help Login Register  

A D V E R T I S E M E N T

Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: crab taxidermy/preservation  (Read 15558 times)
matagorda

Ignore
« on: December 06, 2005, 02:58:44 PM »

this past summer my son caught an 8 1/2" blue crab and the first words out of his mouth were "I want to get it mounted". I currently have the crab frozen and am interested in preserving it so we can display it at our beach house. I've talked to a couple of taxidermists and they're not interested in fooling with it. I would like to preserve it myself if possible, can anyone advise me on how to do this. I see them on ebay for $10 so I wouldn't think it would be terribly expensive, I just may not have access to the proper equipment but I'm willing to give it a shot. thanks!
on the hook
Lifetime Member

Location: Central Pa/S Jersey till I can find some work somewhere

I love crabs!

Ignore
« Reply #1 on: December 06, 2005, 03:14:34 PM »

Is a guy,Pete Miller. Someone will jump in with more info. Saw your name, are you Tx? From Houston, and spent a lot of time in Port Aransas area.

I'm niether proud nor embarrassed, I'm a man....Sometimes I sh!t my pants.....It's part of the deal.
ol crabber

Ignore
« Reply #2 on: December 06, 2005, 03:40:56 PM »

Matagorda,
         My Father used to preserve all his big catches by wrapping the crab in a papper bag and putting them on a shelf in an outside shed for a period of about 6 months (watch out for the smell) then using clear shellac he would give the entire crab several coats over several days and then he would mount them on wood with glue. you have to be careful when the crab is fully dried out in becomes very fragile to handle. hope this helped.
                                                     ol crabber
Crabbin Pappy

Crabbin' Pappy

Ignore
« Reply #3 on: December 07, 2005, 08:59:39 PM »

I had a 9" crab mounted a year or two ago.I guy in Baltimore did it for me for about  $60.00.When you dry them out they turn redish orange.He airbushs them back to the orginal color ,then some type of clear coat then mounted on top of a crab basket lid.Nice job.Very Pleased.If your interested get back to me and I will look up his phone number.
Crabbin Pappy
Steve
Administrator

« Reply #4 on: December 07, 2005, 09:04:25 PM »

Is a guy, Pete Miller. Someone will jump in with more info.

I'm not sure that Pete Miller is doing crabs anymore. The last I heard his business failed and he started a new venture down in South America. I Haven't heard from him in a while, so things may have changed.

HenPot
Lifetime Member

Ignore
« Reply #5 on: December 07, 2005, 09:07:50 PM »

I believe there is a pretty good discussion about this in past posts.  I know there were a lot of tips offered by quiet a few, and I think Pete Miller may have offered some advice too.  Try searching back through the archives, if you can't find it, Bmail me, and I'll hunt for it.
Crabbin Pappy

Crabbin' Pappy

Ignore
« Reply #6 on: December 07, 2005, 09:09:07 PM »

Pete Miller was asking $100.00 plus to mount my crab a year or two ago.
Crabbin Pappy
Steve
Administrator

« Reply #7 on: December 07, 2005, 09:10:54 PM »

Ok, I find this post by Pete Miller.

Hi Guys,
well, I decided to take this opportunity in Mexico.  Will be in a place called Puerto Penasco, about 2.5 hrs south of Phoenix for the first couple of weeks.

Would of posted sooner, but with Katrina and then our little storm-timing just didn't seem right.
Will try to get some pics of the crabs they have down there.  Anyway, I fly out tomorrow morning.

Still plan to keep the business going on the side.  New website is www.petesart.net.  It is not finished, but it is published.  Anyway if you need to get in touch my home phone and e-mail is the same.  You can also e-mail me at [email protected]

Will not be back in the good ole USA until October 7th.  Best of luck to all of you and once I get set up down there, I may have more time to visit the Lounge.

Have a great crab feast!!

Pete

So, you might want to visit his website at http://www.petesart.net and see if he can help you.

Steve
Joe Crabs
Lifetime Member

I fly on the Wye

Ignore
« Reply #8 on: December 07, 2005, 09:18:43 PM »

Bottom line is you get what you pay for. And Pete is the best and still doing it. That plaque will be around long after I am gone. Cheesy;)

Crabbing, enjoying the water, meeting new people, making new friends, that's what it's all about.
Crabbeer

Kwicherbichen and have fun, go crabbin!

Ignore
« Reply #9 on: December 07, 2005, 10:04:23 PM »

I'll second Pappy's mount.  I've had two done by the same guy.  He mounts crabs for J.O. spice each year (biggest crab caught in MD).  Great prices and good to deal with.  I'm sending my next giant to him. 

Support our troops, make their home worthy of them.

HenPot
Lifetime Member

Ignore
« Reply #10 on: December 07, 2005, 10:09:38 PM »

I think he is trying to find info on how to do it himself.  I'll search the link and put it on tommorrow morning.
Joe Crabs
Lifetime Member

I fly on the Wye

Ignore
« Reply #11 on: December 07, 2005, 10:34:17 PM »

I am sure he is fine, you have to feel comfortable with what your spending and what your getting. If your happy that's all that really matters. And if you can save a few bucks even better. Cheesy Wink

Crabbing, enjoying the water, meeting new people, making new friends, that's what it's all about.
tattoo
Lifetime Member

MY BOAT CRAB TRAP

Ignore
« Reply #12 on: August 05, 2013, 10:34:41 PM »

i mount crabs , click on the green line under my post to see my web site , THANKS  Rich

A CRAB A DAY KEEPS THE DOCTOR AWAY.   

Click Here To Mount Your Crab
Seanile
Lifetime Member
Global Moderator

WHEN THE CHICKEN NECK DROPS, THE BS STOPS

« Reply #13 on: August 05, 2013, 10:39:21 PM »

What green line, Rich?

~ Bruce ~

If a man speaks at sea, where no woman can hear, is he still wrong?
flounderpounder
Lifetime Member

Ignore
« Reply #14 on: August 05, 2013, 10:40:09 PM »

What green line, Rich?

The one on the bottom of his post Wink

" I CAN SKIN A BUCK, I CAN RUN A TROT LINE A PA BOY CAN SURVIVE" 

"YOU CAN LOVE ME OR HATE ME, BUT WHEN YOU HATE ME, YOU LOVE TO HATE ME "Wink

Seanile
Lifetime Member
Global Moderator

WHEN THE CHICKEN NECK DROPS, THE BS STOPS

« Reply #15 on: August 05, 2013, 10:48:44 PM »

Got it.  BTW, this thread is 8 years old.

~ Bruce ~

If a man speaks at sea, where no woman can hear, is he still wrong?
tattoo
Lifetime Member

MY BOAT CRAB TRAP

Ignore
« Reply #16 on: August 05, 2013, 11:03:24 PM »

i know that .  Wink laugh laugh laugh laugh laugh

A CRAB A DAY KEEPS THE DOCTOR AWAY.   

Click Here To Mount Your Crab
rdunlap17

Ignore
« Reply #17 on: January 08, 2020, 10:52:00 AM »

Ok, I find this post by Pete Miller.

So, you might want to visit his website at http://www.petesart.net and see if he can help you.

Steve

I know this topic is from ages ago but I was doing a little research on how to do this myself and even though this original thread was from over ten years ago it is still one of the top hits when I was searching.  The name Pete Miller came up so I looked into finding photos of his work and came across a website of his. The old link posted previously did not work for me so I figured I would up date this thread a bit just in case the not so savvy internet searcher but really good crabber was looking.  I did not contact Pete to see if he is doing any of this type of work still but his website works great with a ton of really cool and clear photos so I recommend checking it out.  Here is the link to the blue crab art section of his page http://www.bluecrabartworks.com/blue_crab_wall_art

Ryan
Neither Crab

Ignore
« Reply #18 on: January 11, 2020, 03:50:33 PM »

This thread might be 8 years old but I'll tell you how I did it about 40 yeas ago and it still works. . It won't be as pretty as a pro taxidermy job but you can try it on a smaller crab to see what you think . Take your frozen crab and lay it out on a piece of cardboard or something else you can use in a micro wave oven . Use non metallic clothes pins to pin mount or pin down the crab in the position you want it in on the cardboard  .Claws and legs spread out the way you want them to look. Then start micro waving the crab a minute or so at a time, over and over , giving the crab a little time to cool off in between microwaving. It might take a total of 30 minutes or so of micro waving to dry out all the meat as much as you can before you start to see the crab legs start to curl . That's when you stop microwaving . You can now let the crab air out and finsh drying out outside for a few days . Then spray paint the crab with clear shellac a few coats . This will seal the crab so there won't be any odor. You'll notice the crab weighs a lot less after micro waving. The crab will be a light orange .
crabbymike17
Lifetime Member

The Crab Reaper

Ignore
« Reply #19 on: January 12, 2020, 09:23:19 AM »

Tattoo is one of the best in this business of crab taxidermy.  I believe he's semi, if not completely retired from this difficult task.  His mounts are all over the place and I was lucky to spot them before realizing they were his.  I'm uncertain, but I don't believe a microwave is in his recipe.  I personally would eat anything under 9".  I'll be phoning tattoo -Rich (hopefully 2020) for my next 9+".         

Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to:  

Home