October 20, 2019, 04:34:45 AM

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Total time logged in: 0 minutes.

Home   Help Login Register  

A D V E R T I S E M E N T

Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: 9/19/13 Chester River  (Read 4652 times)
CaptWilliecrab
Lifetime Member

A great way to live a day!

Willicrab Wilson Capt Williecrab

Ignore
« on: September 20, 2013, 10:11:38 PM »

Left house in the wee hours of the morning from Southern NJ,  met up with Whaler from Pa,  drove to Maryland.  My first time ever crabbing out of my area.  Was in awe being in Maryland water for the first time ever.  After catching thousands of crabs over the years in southern NJ, biggest crab ever caught on my boat, 7.25",  and only once.  First crab I caught in the Chester was 7.50" at about 10:00am.  I almost went into shock.   A little later I caught an 8" crab,  then I did go into shock.  Whaler kept me busy as we worked 31 traps.  The weather was perfect. ( no bugs, sure not used to that )  Finished the day with aprox 40 nice crabs,  many over 7".  Was not easy, but we were throwing back anything under 5 - 3/4". ( they are considered monster number 1's in NJ ) Got back to Comfort Inn and met up with a few folks from the Blue Crab Archives.  Whaler got out his steamer and pots.  I cut up some real hot, hot peppers I brought from my garden.  We got some paper plates from the hotel. ( promised the lady there some crabs when we cooked them)  I borrowed a couple rocks from the flower garden and washed them and used them for claw breakers.  I also never eat crabs that have never been cleaned first.  BUT   they were so big,  and smelled so good cookin,, I ate them,  they were fantastic !
  The Whalers boat is a 1985 Hobie Power Skiff,  it is a fast moving and agile crabbing creek ship. ( sort of the same as the Eagles offense in the first half vs Washington, before they floundered out like last night ).
   I am still in shock,  have never seen crabs like this before,  going to the Wye in the am.         Williecrab,  Maryland creek ship deckhand in training.
Note:  Got nailed by a 7" angry Jimmy,  he sunk his monster claw teeth on one of my fingers,  a great war wound as is drew blood.  These sure do pinch harder than NJ crabs,  Whaler says crab on,  the only doctors in the area are veterinarians.  I think he was the first crab I ate,  and the second was my 8"er.
« Last Edit: September 21, 2013, 11:20:44 PM by CaptWilliecrab » Logged
Labracrabber

If only I could teach the dog to drive the skiff..

Ignore
« Reply #1 on: September 20, 2013, 10:26:29 PM »

Hey man, you should get some bleach water on that wound bro. You can get some serious infection in your bloodstream.

Welcome to Maryland crabbing! Cheesy

Enjoy the resources we all share, and take your kids crabbing.
crabbywaters
Lifetime Member

Ignore
« Reply #2 on: September 20, 2013, 10:37:09 PM »

laugh laugh laugh Great report! Full of action! You had me laughing. Welcome to Maryland. Our crabs don't play laugh. Its nice to see a out of state-er get into some Maryland big boys. Forget that CBC stuff. Your on Maryland soil. Grin. I'll be over at the party in the late afternoon. Hope to meet you.

I wish i was a crab.
suzyq52
Lifetime Member

Ignore
« Reply #3 on: September 20, 2013, 11:09:10 PM »

Great recounting of the day, as always!

I can only stress on so many things in one day - looks like you're not making the list. Tomorrow isn't looking so hot, either.
chasin claws

Ignore
« Reply #4 on: September 21, 2013, 11:41:35 AM »

Great report as always!!!!! Yes MD crabs seem more aggressive than NJ Grin I have a few battle scars from them too!!! The worst of which came from trying to show a freind how easy they were to pick up lol crab came close to removing my finger tip both claws one finger tip crab was a mean 7 inch chester river crab lol!!!

CRABBYCOOT

Ignore
« Reply #5 on: September 22, 2013, 11:52:57 AM »

Hey Cap'n, fantastic report! You gotta move faster around those claws. Maybe even use those sissy-grabber tongs like I use. LOL   Grin Grin Grin
Ron
Lifetime Member
Global Moderator

RonMeischker https://www.linkedin.com/profile/view?id=220842455&trk=nav_respon RMeischker
« Reply #6 on: September 22, 2013, 05:41:59 PM »

It was great to meet you down at the party.   It was great to see you speak with such enthusiasm about catching the "biggest crabs of your life."    It was the same child-like enthusiasm I had to go out with Scap. Capt a few weeks ago for a night scapping mission so I could relate to your excitement.

Blue Crab Advisor to the NJ Marine Fisheries Council

11th Annual Assault on Patcong Creek Crabbing Tournament & BBQ
America's Largest Crabbing Tournament
June 26 & 27th, 2020
Somers Point, NJ

http://www.assaultonpatcongcreek.com

To Register:
http://assaultonpatcongcreek.com/the-crabbing-tournament/tournament-registration/

Check out the tournament's page on Facebook!
https://www.facebook.com/assaultonpatcongcreek
whaler

Ignore
« Reply #7 on: September 22, 2013, 10:20:18 PM »

Williecrab  williecrab wake up !!! it was all just a dream . I know you tetired guys never get a day off and need some crabbing time .will get there  this weekend . Grin
kingcrabber
Lifetime Member

Elvis has left the building....

Ignore
« Reply #8 on: September 22, 2013, 10:36:47 PM »

Williecrab  williecrab wake up !!! it was all just a dream . I know you tetired guys never get a day off and need some crabbing time .will get there  this weekend . Grin
Grin Grin Ed..you were worried about the Capt not wanting to go home  Grin..you showed him Maryland MUMBOS  Grin Grin how can you live with yourself? Grin..Willie..nice report Brother  Grin

will someone tell me what kind of world it is we live in, when a man dressed up as a bat,steals all my press? ...The Joker
CaptMoose
Lifetime Member

Ignore
« Reply #9 on: September 23, 2013, 12:46:40 AM »

Uh oh, he's hooked.  Methinks Capt Willie is going to be seen in the southern waters quite a bit.

23' C Hawk

CaptWilliecrab
Lifetime Member

A great way to live a day!

Willicrab Wilson Capt Williecrab

Ignore
« Reply #10 on: September 23, 2013, 08:10:35 AM »

It was great to meet you down at the party.   It was great to see you speak with such enthusiasm about catching the "biggest crabs of your life."    It was the same child-like enthusiasm I had to go out with Scap. Capt a few weeks ago for a night scapping mission so I could relate to your excitement.

Now I keep wondering what it is like to crab on a pontoon boat.  It is Monday am and I still have a few crabs to left to eat for lunch.  This will make 5 straight days of eating big chunks of crab meat!  Brought home a huge 3 by 4 foot map of the area,  make a mistake though,  let grandkids play with a couple of live Maryland crabs and showed them the map.  They think the place is right down the street and they want to crab there.  I got Crab JOY!  I sure did learn a lot from Whaler ( Ed the admiral )  he sure runs a tight ship,  he was very kind though, we crabbed 7 hours each day,   he allowed me a 3 minute break every 3 hours,  and he did provide water to drink.   Great guy with a lot of knowledge.      good grief   I am still all wound up!   54bobby is the greatest outdoor cook I have ever met!
colonels cruiser
Lifetime Member

Ignore
« Reply #11 on: September 23, 2013, 08:29:56 AM »

Great report... so good it made me forget that this has been a terrible year for crabbing in Maryland. I'm not a pessimist but the decline in the past 3 years or so has me concerned about the next 3-5 years. I usually crab 15 to 20 times per year. I stopped this year after 3 trips. It's my own self imposed moratorium. Thanks for capturing the fun of crabbing in your post. In the meantime I'll reminisce about the way it was when I started 37 years ago. The best of memories.
whaler

Ignore
« Reply #12 on: September 23, 2013, 08:44:28 AM »

yep  Grin the willie crab is a train wreck in the mud on the out going tide  laugh laugh.sorry willie for taking you out of your  environment buddy  laugh. i will have to help you get re acclimated. we will take it real slow . first we have to get you use to getting bit by the Nat's . that should take about 4 days . then we will move on to the nasty green head flies. this will be a lot harder and should take about 2 weeks  Shocked . next will be the hardest challenge of all challenges. we will very slowly start crabbing the new jersey way of staying in one spot at anchor getting bit buy green heads and Nat's for hours on end bleeding and cursing . then yes i said this the big big challenge !!!! when you catch a little dividing creek crab you have to get allllll excited and call him a big jimmy wow what a big crab holy smokes all 5 1/4 inch . then practice saying i never saw such a beautiful crab my gosh .then tell yourself i cant Waite to post this on that crab forum . but don't worry willie we will leave post to cheer you on wile we make plans to hit the wye river . and  you just keep clicking your heals together saying there is no place like south jersey there is  no place like south jersey  laugh laugh laugh laugh laugh laugh laugh laugh laugh laugh laugh laugh.
« Last Edit: September 23, 2013, 09:05:51 AM by whaler » Logged
moecrabs

Ignore
« Reply #13 on: September 23, 2013, 09:07:36 AM »

Nice going fellows. It was nice to meet you guys and they were some of the nicest crabs I saw all weekend and they were tasty and full. Thanks again for sharing them with us. Looking forward to next year.
Moecrabs
headbanger
Lifetime Member

Ignore
« Reply #14 on: September 23, 2013, 12:05:55 PM »

congrats on the catch and sharing your experience.   

Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to:  

Home