February 21, 2018, 11:59:24 PM

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Total time logged in: 0 minutes.

Home   Help Login Register  

A D V E R T I S E M E N T

Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Florida Crabbers beware!  (Read 13291 times)
attml

Ignore
« on: September 30, 2013, 02:09:59 PM »

Bad news!  http://gma.yahoo.com/blogs/abc-blogs/florida-man-dies-bacterial-infection-crabbing-river-152200421--abc-news-health.html
SHELLFISH
Lifetime Member

Formerly Bogman102

Ignore
« Reply #1 on: September 30, 2013, 05:16:12 PM »

I just heard about this myself! Scary stuff! That is right where I am planning to retire!
« Last Edit: October 06, 2013, 05:30:08 PM by SHELLFISH » Logged

Retired in paradise!
Crabby Captn John

Ignore
« Reply #2 on: October 26, 2013, 12:40:13 AM »

Spend 5 minutes reading the replies! Nothing but a bunch of sick liberals wanting the govt to test and post signs. Blame it on the Republicans! No wonder Obie was elected!
snapper69
Lifetime Member

Ignore
« Reply #3 on: October 27, 2013, 07:51:57 PM »

Vibrio is a nasty bacterial infection, especially when genetic exchange occurs between bacterial species such that they inherit antibiotic resistance.  I always keep bleach on my boat and when my mate or I get nailed strait bleach it is.  Hurts like a b-------tch but it better than the alternative.
bigjohntate

Ignore
« Reply #4 on: December 04, 2013, 12:58:36 PM »

Yikes, sounda like an inlet I crab in the panhandle. My inlet opens up right into the bay though so the water usually moving vs being stationary. None the less taking precautions!

"I had to punch him...He was starting to make sense."

olddad2

Ignore
« Reply #5 on: December 15, 2013, 01:42:27 PM »

A friend of mine from work. Who's dad is retired from up hear, and now living in FLA.(a retired waterman from Cape May area). Was crabbing of a dock down in Florida and was scratched on the arm by a crab. Nearly died, they had him in an induced coma. He did end up making it but faces surgeries to repair skin and muscle tissue. This just happened a couple of months ago. It is really scary to think all from a scratch from a crab. I guess it is linked to the warm water. I was thinking of retiring down their as well. Not so sure anymore. The main reason would be spending time around the water year round. Hope they sort this out fast.
headbanger
Lifetime Member

Ignore
« Reply #6 on: December 17, 2013, 12:38:15 PM »

Thanks for the reminder.
olddad2

Ignore
« Reply #7 on: December 20, 2013, 06:52:46 AM »

Sorry. If you are in that area just please be carefull.
ACFISHERIES

Ignore
« Reply #8 on: December 21, 2013, 09:49:50 PM »

Bleach, soap, and keeflex are your friends..

Good dogs, Rotgut whiskey, All the BS you can stand
saltysenior

ex-wye rat---who now C B C

Ignore
« Reply #9 on: December 23, 2013, 06:14:44 PM »

Think i mentioned this before..........had staph infection years ago from working on a charter boat...the local doc who took care of the comm.fishermen out of point pleasent ,n j told me not to depend on bleach(which we used a lot), but to use this..

http://www.lysol.com/cleaning-products/multi-purpose-cleaners/brand-concentrate

SHELLFISH
Lifetime Member

Formerly Bogman102

Ignore
« Reply #10 on: January 03, 2014, 09:06:32 AM »

Thanks for the Lysol tip! I'll get a bottle for the boat.

Retired in paradise!
jerryblew

Ignore
« Reply #11 on: February 09, 2014, 02:27:34 PM »

Hello,

I was reading this post and there is a new product out there that my buddy in Annapolis, MD introduced me to called Nixall, it kills all the bacteria/germs that you mentioned in the post. It is stronger than bleach and NON TOXIC, stuff blew me away. I have all the guys that work with me carry a bottle on the trucks in case of cuts, etc. and most of the watermen I work with carry a bottle on their boats. I know it is EPA and FDA approved. Also read where Nixall help kill the other flesh eating bacteria that some watermen have contracted before.

Hope this helps.

Jerry
ralphrepo

Ignore
« Reply #12 on: February 19, 2014, 12:40:42 AM »

While it may not seem very manly to wear large thick gloves or use other safety equipment, protection and prevention of a nicks or cuts (which allows the pathogen to breach our body's primary defense system, ie. our skin), is probably more effective than any antibacterial soaps and or other chemical products in warding off potential disease.

But, IMHO, purposely walking into waters with open wounds, when such waters are known to harbor deadly pathogens (like vibrio); well, that's just tempting fate.  
« Last Edit: February 19, 2014, 02:23:12 AM by ralphrepo » Logged
wakerider368

Ignore
« Reply #13 on: March 05, 2014, 11:25:34 PM »

I'm a watermen in Maryland and back in 2012 on the Chester I got vibrio from where a crab stabbed my finger through my glove and never thought anything of it. later that night it looked like there was something in it so I was cleaning it out and irritated it and within 3 hours I was in hospital with cold chills from the pain.  the hospital kept me for four days and had me on 9 different types of antibiotics through Iv. the finger that was poked was double the size and the rest of my hand was swollen plus it sent red streaks up my arm that they had to mark with sharpie to make sure it wasn't spreading any farther. long story short you can get it from anywhere as long as water is warm enough for it to spread and breed. as scary as it was im only 22 and ill stay a watermen till I cant anymore

Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to:  

Home