October 24, 2021, 08:01:11 AM

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Total time logged in: 0 minutes.

Home   Help Login Register  

A D V E R T I S E M E N T

Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: What direction do you pull your ring nets?  (Read 819 times)
indoe
Lifetime Member

me and the wife

Ignore
« on: February 08, 2021, 07:27:12 PM »

So I pull my traps in the direction of the tide or wind. What ever the direction my float is pushed so that the doors close as soon as I pull on the traps. Now if I do that with the ring nets it will drag it sideways and not straight up. If I have more string then I should what would be the best method of pulling the nets up? Slowly pull the slack until I get to the net itself or just start pulling the rope while moving towards the net as fast as I can? Or will I be ok for me to pull the nets with the current or wind? I plan on only having 2 or 3 feet of slack but sometimes that does not work perfectly.

Crabbing, Fishing and Hunting = Me happy!
on the hook
Lifetime Member

Location: Central Pa/S Jersey till I can find some work somewhere

I love crabs!

Ignore
« Reply #1 on: February 08, 2021, 08:52:54 PM »

I run into the current and, like you, hope to only have a couple feet extra...My corks keep the lines out of the rings, soooo, imo, when I 'feel' weight, I'm pulling either trap/ring up fast...I don't like running with the current because, imo, you are running over your trap/ring just prior to pulling it...Does this scare crabs?...I'd guess yes, especially in shallower water..Am I correct? IDK, but I've been pulling that way for many years and don't plan on changing...

I'm niether proud nor embarrassed, I'm a man....Sometimes I sh!t my pants.....It's part of the deal.
indoe
Lifetime Member

me and the wife

Ignore
« Reply #2 on: February 08, 2021, 10:07:40 PM »

I found with my topless traps I catch more when I pull with the current. When pulling the topless traps when you pull the extra line it pulls on the doors and scares more crabs out. When you pull with the current the doors close as soon as the grab the line. Im worried that the ring net will bounce up and down and scare the crabs if I go against the tide or wind.

crewstation
Lifetime Member

Ignore
« Reply #3 on: February 09, 2021, 04:23:39 PM »

When using ring nets, I do not like to pull with the current.  Too much stress on the back and the nets come up sideways.

When I'm using topless traps, I can go either way, but I definitely prefer pulling against the current so the trap is coming straight up.  I feel like this makes for  quicker pull.  It really has nothing to do with crabs escaping, but everything to do with pulling the trap through the water while traveling with the current.

Oh, de crab, he taste so fine.
Yuh catch 'um wid a neck an' a line.
Bile de water 'til 'e good 'n hot.
Den eat de crab strait from 'de pot.

Oh, de beer, he taste so chilly.
Drinks it 'til I gets too silly.
Washin' down 'de crab an' butter.
If I doesn't fall down, I'll 'ave anudder.
Harford Crabber
Supporting Member

Ignore
« Reply #4 on: February 18, 2021, 12:56:04 PM »

When I'm using both topless and nets I pull topless with current-wind (tight lines).  Pull nets against current-wind so they come up level.  Two reasons, It seems to work best and you can set em parallel and pull in both directions.

I love to fish, but I live to crab.

on the hook
Lifetime Member

Location: Central Pa/S Jersey till I can find some work somewhere

I love crabs!

Ignore
« Reply #5 on: February 19, 2021, 03:17:16 PM »

When I'm using both topless and nets I pull topless with current-wind (tight lines).  Pull nets against current-wind so they come up level.  Two reasons, It seems to work best and you can set em parallel and pull in both directions.

Great idea if you pull either...No needless running just to get to one end, in a sense, doubling your distance...May try that on some wider creeks..I just don't like pulling with the current...Trap /ring is ALWAYS coming in on an angle...May try it though...

I'm niether proud nor embarrassed, I'm a man....Sometimes I sh!t my pants.....It's part of the deal.
Wallco99
Lifetime Member

Ignore
« Reply #6 on: February 19, 2021, 11:20:11 PM »

Me either.
Harford Crabber
Supporting Member

Ignore
« Reply #7 on: February 23, 2021, 09:55:02 AM »

Great idea if you pull either...No needless running just to get to one end, in a sense, doubling your distance...May try that on some wider creeks..I just don't like pulling with the current...Trap /ring is ALWAYS coming in on an angle...May try it though...

or flipping over as they come out of water!   I only pull rings against current.  With momentum of boat they'll usually come up level pulling slack lines.

I don't worry bout needing a wide creek.  Lottsa times I use trotline and then set rings parallel 25-50 feet away from trotline.   That way it's something to do when going back to other end of trotline.

I love to fish, but I live to crab.
indoe
Lifetime Member

me and the wife

Ignore
« Reply #8 on: February 23, 2021, 09:51:48 PM »

or flipping over as they come out of water!   I only pull rings against current.  With momentum of boat they'll usually come up level pulling slack lines.

I don't worry bout needing a wide creek.  Lottsa times I use trotline and then set rings parallel 25-50 feet away from trotline.   That way it's something to do when going back to other end of trotline.

If I am having guest over and know I have to get off the water early I might try using 600ft of trotline and 30 rings. I really don't have much room and baiting a trotline and nets seems like a lot of work. Mostly if I'm going by myself. Now If I'm looking for 2 bushel then that would be an idea I would consider.

Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to:  

Home