May 24, 2018, 01:31:41 PM

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Total time logged in: 0 minutes.

Home   Help Login Register  

Pages: [1] 2   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Youth guns  (Read 5295 times)
Grizzly36

Ignore
« on: October 29, 2013, 08:19:54 AM »

I'm looking to get my 6yo a gun.  I think he's ready to move up from his Dasiy and was thinking about getting a .22 or .410 for squirrels. The .410's i've seen are still way too long for him to safely rest on his shoulder. So it's probably going to be the .22 for now. One question about them tho is, has anyone started their kid on a .410.  What age? Do you think the kick would be too much for 6-8 yo.  I haven't shot one since I was about 10. I don't want his first exp to be a bad one and scare him away from shotguns or turn him off.

As for the .22's I'm thinking about the Cricket and I saw that Dick's has a marlin or ruger that is about the same size as the cricket.  Anyone have any experiance with these guns?

Trips              
Bushels          
Traps            
Trotline      
Crabs picked
Crabbyd
Lifetime Member

5 girls....and DONE!!!!!

Ignore
« Reply #1 on: October 29, 2013, 08:25:22 AM »

I bought both of my girls the ruger 22's kids model (in pink  Smiley ).  One was 6 and the other was 8.  But before I bought them, they both fired my 11-87 from a sled.  Then I asked them if they wanted to fire it again.  they both said yes.  If they hadn't then I wouldn't have bought the 22.  I have done this with all of my kids.  Those that want to fire it again are the true lovers of shooting.  If they are afraid of the gun, then I don't need to be putting a gun in their hands.  Just my way of doing it and the way it was done to me and my brother.  One of us hunts and the other doesn't. 

"Life is not a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in a pretty and well preserved body, but rather to skid in broadside, a crab in one hand, a beer in the other, thoroughly used up, totally worn out, and loudly proclaiming -- WOW--What a Ride!"
flounderpounder
Lifetime Member

Ignore
« Reply #2 on: October 29, 2013, 09:35:51 AM »

Buy a rossi with interchangable barrels. Prob get one for around $200. Has .22, .410 and a .243 barrel. Got all your bases covered and they shoot good.

" I CAN SKIN A BUCK, I CAN RUN A TROT LINE A PA BOY CAN SURVIVE" 

"YOU CAN LOVE ME OR HATE ME, BUT WHEN YOU HATE ME, YOU LOVE TO HATE ME "Wink
jack1747
Lifetime Member
Global Moderator

Crab'n is a way of life....

« Reply #3 on: October 29, 2013, 10:07:15 AM »

Ruger 10/22.....  He will be able to hand it down to his Grandkids... Wink

"Helping to Moderate the BCA since 2003"
CrabDog
Lifetime Member

Ignore
« Reply #4 on: October 29, 2013, 11:59:22 AM »

I have a remington 597 which is a nice little 22LR and as for a shotgun look into the remington 870 youth model in 20 gauge.. it is set up with a shorter stock etc.. remington is a decent gun for the money... ruger 10/22 also good one..... 

MD / PA Line
Grizzly36

Ignore
« Reply #5 on: October 29, 2013, 01:25:41 PM »

Thanks for the info guys. 

I'm remington guy. I have a 597, 870 and a youth 16 gauge.  Both are still way too long for a 6yo. 

I'll take a pretty long look at the Ruger based on Jacks recommendation.  It seems like he may know a thing or two about firearms.

Trips              
Bushels          
Traps            
Trotline      
Crabs picked
dfran

Labs Rule !!!!!! Crabs ain't bad either !!!

Ignore
« Reply #6 on: October 29, 2013, 03:58:31 PM »

I agree with Jack as far as the Ruger 10/22 being a well built gun that will last for generations. I always believed that the best practice in starting off a young shooter was to use a bolt action or single shot. The reasoning against using a semi is the kids learn very quickly that if they miss they can just keep pulling the trigger until they hit what they are aiming at instead of making the first shot count. I've taught hundreds of kids to shoot while teaching Pa. Hunter Safety courses for the last 40 years and using bolt actions had great results. JMO, I do know one thing for certain....you have two very lucky children to have you as their father.
jack1747
Lifetime Member
Global Moderator

« Reply #7 on: October 29, 2013, 04:42:34 PM »

I agree with Jack as far as the Ruger 10/22 being a well built gun that will last for generations. I always believed that the best practice in starting off a young shooter was to use a bolt action or single shot. The reasoning against using a semi is the kids learn very quickly that if they miss they can just keep pulling the trigger until they hit what they are aiming at instead of making the first shot count. I've taught hundreds of kids to shoot while teaching Pa. Hunter Safety courses for the last 40 years and using bolt actions had great results. JMO, I do know one thing for certain....you have two very lucky children to have you as their father.
I agree but you can always load the 10/22 one shot at a time..    About a million years ago I was showing a very young fellow how to shoot a semi-auto pistol.  He fired a round or 2 then turned to me, with his finger on the trigger and the pistol aimed at my stomach, and said he didn't what to shoot anymore.   Shocked  Never forgot that lesson... Cool

dfran

Labs Rule !!!!!! Crabs ain't bad either !!!

Ignore
« Reply #8 on: October 29, 2013, 05:54:01 PM »

I agree but you can always load the 10/22 one shot at a time..    About a million years ago I was showing a very young fellow how to shoot a semi-auto pistol.  He fired a round or 2 then turned to me, with his finger on the trigger and the pistol aimed at my stomach, and said he didn't what to shoot anymore.   Shocked  Never forgot that lesson... Cool

Definitely an impressionable lesson Shocked Shocked Shocked Shocked Shocked
flounderpounder
Lifetime Member

Ignore
« Reply #9 on: October 29, 2013, 09:03:22 PM »

10/22 is great but would be better to get something he could hunt with besides target shoot.

Speaking of... Just finished this gun a few weeks ago. Took a year and a half cause the baby interupted the build. Lol. Ready for january indoor league!
« Last Edit: October 29, 2013, 09:18:37 PM by flounderpounder » Logged

jack1747
Lifetime Member
Global Moderator

« Reply #10 on: October 30, 2013, 08:55:06 AM »

10/22 is great but would be better to get something he could hunt with besides target shoot.

My 10/22 is older then you. Wink  Survived both me and my son who is 40 this year. I can't tell you how many squirrels, rabbits, etc. it put on the table... Was our primary home defense gun for many years.  Cool

TAZZ6266

Ignore
« Reply #11 on: October 30, 2013, 09:29:00 AM »

Marlin 60. Very reliable tack driver straight out of the box.
flounderpounder
Lifetime Member

Ignore
« Reply #12 on: October 30, 2013, 01:29:42 PM »

My 10/22 is older then you. Wink  Survived both me and my son who is 40 this year. I can't tell you how many squirrels, rabbits, etc. it put on the table... Was our primary home defense gun for many years.  Cool
[/quote

Understand that.. BUT in PA we cant use semi rifles for HUNTING. Not sure what rules are for his state.  Wink

Figured your first defense weapon was a ROCK  Grin

JIMMYCRAB

GOTTA LOVE IT!!!

Ignore
« Reply #13 on: October 30, 2013, 10:17:59 PM »

I dont think .410 is too big and they really don't have much of a kick. Scour the pawn shops and find a Harrington & Richardson topper model single shot. They're nice and short.

Smoked carp tastes just as good as smoked salmon .....when you don't have any smoked salmon.
jefftoleft
In Memoriam 02/2017
Lifetime Member

Ignore
« Reply #14 on: October 31, 2013, 12:08:52 AM »

I dont think .410 is too big and they really don't have much of a kick. Scour the pawn shops and find a Harrington & Richardson topper model single shot. They're nice and short.
I agree I had one of these growing up they are made for kids and are great little guns and you can get a used one for about $100 and I agree with FP if you buy a 22 get one you can hunt with. Good luck  Cool Cool

You will always catch more crabs with a DOT.NET than a DOT.COM
Crab Nebula
Lifetime Member

Erfill

Ignore
« Reply #15 on: October 31, 2013, 07:22:23 AM »

Ruger 10/22.....  He will be able to hand it down to his Grandkids... Wink

I got a Ruger 10/22 for my girls - Awesome and reliable! It will be around for generations...
jefftoleft
In Memoriam 02/2017
Lifetime Member

Ignore
« Reply #16 on: October 31, 2013, 11:35:48 PM »

I got a Ruger 10/22 for my girls - Awesome and reliable! It will be around for generations...
Yeah those are nice guns but you can't use them to hunt with in PA.

You will always catch more crabs with a DOT.NET than a DOT.COM
Crab Nebula
Lifetime Member

Erfill

Ignore
« Reply #17 on: November 01, 2013, 07:07:49 AM »

Yeah those are nice guns but you can't use them to hunt with in PA.

It's a valuable teaching tool!!

And when the zombies come, it's legal!  Wink laugh laugh laugh
rock n crab
In Memoriam 11/2016

Ignore
« Reply #18 on: November 01, 2013, 08:56:45 AM »

most youth .410s are very light and kick..... not to mention the cost of .410 shells...... you don't want the kids to develop a flinch when shooting from early kicks.....  I started mine on .22 and then a .223 single shot handy rifle for some long range (80 to 150 yard) practice off a bipod to build confidence and enjoy shooting..... for deer all have started with a youth Remington ML700 with a 50 grain powder load and a 245 grain power belt...... It's a great load for the kids and it kills easy out to 100 yards.... my daughter's deer this year dropped in his tracks at 60 yards................ they love to shoot and have worked their way into the 870 youth 20 ga which I feel is an awesome youth gun and it accepts the regular rifled slug barrel...  4H also offers pellet gun shoots for the youth to teach proper safety and shooting and it's only $35.00.......... and they also offer youth clays........... all gets your kids into a fun sport with proper training....

20' SeaMark CC 90HP Honda
CrabDog
Lifetime Member

Ignore
« Reply #19 on: November 01, 2013, 12:33:21 PM »

most youth .410s are very light and kick..... not to mention the cost of .410 shells...... you don't want the kids to develop a flinch when shooting from early kicks.....  I started mine on .22 and then a .223 single shot handy rifle for some long range (80 to 150 yard) practice off a bipod to build confidence and enjoy shooting..... for deer all have started with a youth Remington ML700 with a 50 grain powder load and a 245 grain power belt...... It's a great load for the kids and it kills easy out to 100 yards.... my daughter's deer this year dropped in his tracks at 60 yards................ they love to shoot and have worked their way into the 870 youth 20 ga which I feel is an awesome youth gun and it accepts the regular rifled slug barrel...  4H also offers pellet gun shoots for the youth to teach proper safety and shooting and it's only $35.00.......... and they also offer youth clays........... all gets your kids into a fun sport with proper training....

I thought the powder load to hunt deer in MD with black powder was a minimum of 60 grains not 50..... and 40 caliber ball/  bullet...  if you shooting 50 grain you are under legal load...unless they have changed the regs.. cause I am old timer black powder guy lol

MD / PA Line
Pages: [1] 2   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to:  

Home