April 22, 2019, 08:20:00 AM

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Total time logged in: 0 minutes.

Home   Help Login Register  

A D V E R T I S E M E N T

Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: WHAT GRADE DO YOU GIVE THE 2013 CRABBING SEASON  (Read 16823 times)
ChrisS

Ignore
« Reply #40 on: October 31, 2013, 07:16:58 AM »

JMO...  We need a total ban on crabbing.  And a total ban of out of state crabbers in the Chesapeake Bay.  There is NO WAY that the Bay can provide crabs to crabbers from all the Northeast States. Undecided

x2

in·teg·ri·ty   
–noun 1. adherence to moral and ethical principles; soundness of moral character; honesty
crewstation
Lifetime Member

Ignore
« Reply #41 on: October 31, 2013, 07:27:57 AM »

So here we go again.  Rec vs. comm, and out-of-state vs. resident.  Hundreds of resident comms working the rivers 6 days a week for months on end, and the 7 or 8 bushels I take each year is emptying the river.  Will it make you guys feel better if I move next door to you and crab every day?  Apparently that's OK, right?

Oh, de crab, he taste so fine.
Yuh catch 'um wid a neck an' a line.
Bile de water 'til 'e good 'n hot.
Den eat de crab strait from 'de pot.

Oh, de beer, he taste so chilly.
Drinks it 'til I gets too silly.
Washin' down 'de crab an' butter.
If I doesn't fall down, I'll 'ave anudder.
Crabbyd
Lifetime Member

5 girls....and DONE!!!!!

Ignore
« Reply #42 on: October 31, 2013, 07:32:56 AM »

It's an OPINION, NOT A FACT but only one's opinion.  Are the mods not allowed to have an opinion now?  Don't we all have an opinion on this topic?   Roll Eyes  And we also know they all don't match.

"Life is not a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in a pretty and well preserved body, but rather to skid in broadside, a crab in one hand, a beer in the other, thoroughly used up, totally worn out, and loudly proclaiming -- WOW--What a Ride!"
Ron
Lifetime Member
Global Moderator

RonMeischker https://www.linkedin.com/profile/view?id=220842455&trk=nav_respon RMeischker
« Reply #43 on: October 31, 2013, 07:47:49 AM »

Let's keep on track with what the original topic was, which was asking for grades for the 2013 Crabbing Season.

My season isn't over yet, so the final grade remains to be seen.   If I had to give it a grade "to date" it would be a C-.     

Though the crabbing has been great the last 90 days, the season started very late.   It took until late May to find any consistent crabbing in my area this year and it really didn't pick up right away even when I finally found them.    Where I crab in the Indian River was downright terrible this year. 

I've got Saturday and Sunday this weekend put aside for trips, then again the weekend of the 16th.   Hopefully I can finish strong and bring that grade up.

10th Annual Assault on Patcong Creek Crabbing Tournament & BBQ
America's Largest Crabbing Tournament
June 21-22, 2019
Somers Point, NJ

http://www.assaultonpatcongcreek.com

To Register:
http://assaultonpatcongcreek.com/the-crabbing-tournament/tournament-registration/

Check out the tournament's page on Facebook!
https://www.facebook.com/assaultonpatcongcreek
Seanile
Lifetime Member
Global Moderator

WHEN THE CHICKEN NECK DROPS, THE BS STOPS

« Reply #44 on: October 31, 2013, 07:49:56 AM »

It's an OPINION, NOT A FACT but only one's opinion.  Are the mods not allowed to have an opinion now?  Don't we all have an opinion on this topic?   Roll Eyes  And we also know they all don't match.

Couldn't have said it better myself, Duane. 

~ Bruce ~

If a man speaks at sea, where no woman can hear, is he still wrong?

Grizzly36

Ignore
« Reply #45 on: October 31, 2013, 08:11:07 AM »

Md needs to change it's rec catch limit to 1 bu per boat, this will reduce the male catch which is where the pressure is so high. This would also IMO reduce the number of out of state pressure as they might go to places like delaware and other states that have more liberal catch limits. Closing the seasin would devistate md 's and Va econmy and they only live 3-5 years and are not like rockfish who live 25 years or more.

You can crab 24hrs a day and with as many traps or as long a trotline as you want but your still only bringing home 1 bushel per person in Delaware.  Also not many places to run a 3k or 4k foot trotline in Delaware's rivers you might be able to in some of the bays but not our rivers unless you like lots of bows in your line.

And although its probably not wise for a mod to express an unpopular opinion they're still part of the Blue Crab community and should be able to be a part of every discussion.  You aint hurting my feelings if we don't agree.

Trips              
Bushels          
Traps            
Trotline      
Crabs picked
Edaoud
Lifetime Member

Ignore
« Reply #46 on: October 31, 2013, 08:30:00 AM »

So here we go again.  Rec vs. comm, and out-of-state vs. resident.  Hundreds of resident comms working the rivers 6 days a week for months on end, and the 7 or 8 bushels I take each year is emptying the river.  Will it make you guys feel better if I move next door to you and crab every day?  Apparently that's OK, right?
Yes Mike it will make me feel better and I will be very happy if you become my neighbor and crab everyday.  Smiley
crewstation
Lifetime Member

Ignore
« Reply #47 on: October 31, 2013, 08:38:09 AM »

Guys, I know it's an opinion, I know we all have opinions, and I know that they are all different.  My understanding is that there are a few topics on the forum that have been hashed out over and over and over again, and the owner and moderators wanted it to stop.  A few months ago, the site's owner re-posted the rules and guidelines.  So I was surprised (and disappointed) to see the topic come up again, especially from one of the moderators.  If it makes you feel any better, I reported MY OWN POST to the moderators (immediately after posting it) to make the point that this type of comment can only re-ignite the argument.

Oh, de crab, he taste so fine.
Yuh catch 'um wid a neck an' a line.
Bile de water 'til 'e good 'n hot.
Den eat de crab strait from 'de pot.

Oh, de beer, he taste so chilly.
Drinks it 'til I gets too silly.
Washin' down 'de crab an' butter.
If I doesn't fall down, I'll 'ave anudder.
Mr. Breeze
Lifetime Member

Ignore
« Reply #48 on: October 31, 2013, 08:45:39 AM »

I give the 2013 season a double F, since my catch was off by 90%

Blue Crab Industry Advisory Committee
MoreOldBay

Ignore
« Reply #49 on: October 31, 2013, 08:50:30 AM »

F
« Last Edit: October 31, 2013, 08:52:32 AM by MoreOldBay » Logged

Ron
Lifetime Member
Global Moderator

RonMeischker https://www.linkedin.com/profile/view?id=220842455&trk=nav_respon RMeischker
« Reply #50 on: October 31, 2013, 09:09:12 AM »

Holy crow.    I didn't realize it was off by such a big percentage.    Sorry to hear this Rich.

10th Annual Assault on Patcong Creek Crabbing Tournament & BBQ
America's Largest Crabbing Tournament
June 21-22, 2019
Somers Point, NJ

http://www.assaultonpatcongcreek.com

To Register:
http://assaultonpatcongcreek.com/the-crabbing-tournament/tournament-registration/

Check out the tournament's page on Facebook!
https://www.facebook.com/assaultonpatcongcreek
Crabslayer

Chesapeake Bay Crab Potter soon to be Java Sea

Ignore
« Reply #51 on: October 31, 2013, 09:43:25 AM »

Time to get your order in for "CRABSLAYER" brand crab pots.  pleased yes

This is how it's going to go.  After I kick your A$$ i'm going to run you through the wood chipper and put you in containers in the freezer to use in my crab pots!  The really sad part?  You let an old man kick your A$$!!!
jack1747
Lifetime Member
Global Moderator

Crab'n is a way of life....

« Reply #52 on: October 31, 2013, 09:44:37 AM »

Very surprised and disappointed that a moderator on this forum would make such a statement.  mean
My comment was NOT resident vs. non-resident....  It was purely the resource vs. the pressure on it.....   Cool  Anyone that has read many of my topics knows that I am very much aware that the environment is the problem.  And that will never be fixed....   Undecided 

"Helping to Moderate the BCA since 2003" "I've gotten to the point in my life where I no longer give a [shiz] what people think, I'm not going to take any [shiz], because, frankly my dears, I am NOT in the [shiz] business." Quote from Suzy. :-)
jack1747
Lifetime Member
Global Moderator

Crab'n is a way of life....

« Reply #53 on: October 31, 2013, 09:51:46 AM »

Holy crow.    I didn't realize it was off by such a big percentage.    Sorry to hear this Rich.
I'll tell you how bad it is.... I still have a 3rd of the freezer full of bait....  We have NO meat in the freezer.  We fish 20 pots and every trip we had to keep trash to make up a half of a cookpot.  Sad

"Helping to Moderate the BCA since 2003" "I've gotten to the point in my life where I no longer give a [shiz] what people think, I'm not going to take any [shiz], because, frankly my dears, I am NOT in the [shiz] business." Quote from Suzy. :-)
Crabslayer

Ignore
« Reply #54 on: October 31, 2013, 10:14:48 AM »

I heard all the crabs are in DE and SC.

This is how it's going to go.  After I kick your A$$ i'm going to run you through the wood chipper and put you in containers in the freezer to use in my crab pots!  The really sad part?  You let an old man kick your A$$!!!

Crabslayer

Ignore
« Reply #55 on: October 31, 2013, 10:19:14 AM »

Post from 6 years ago.  Has the internet had any effect?

http://www.bluecrab.info/forum/index.php/topic,20843.0.html

flounderpounder
Lifetime Member

Ignore
« Reply #56 on: October 31, 2013, 10:26:08 AM »

Very surprised and disappointed that a moderator on this forum would make such a statement.  mean

Maybe he's drinking the haterade :/
« Last Edit: October 31, 2013, 10:29:06 AM by flounderpounder » Logged

" I CAN SKIN A BUCK, I CAN RUN A TROT LINE A PA BOY CAN SURVIVE" 

"YOU CAN LOVE ME OR HATE ME, BUT WHEN YOU HATE ME, YOU LOVE TO HATE ME "Wink
flounderpounder
Lifetime Member

Ignore
« Reply #57 on: October 31, 2013, 10:27:38 AM »

Md needs to change it's rec catch limit to 1 bu per boat, this will reduce the male catch which is where the pressure is so high. This would also IMO reduce the number of out of state pressure as they might go to places like delaware and other states that have more liberal catch limits. Closing the seasin would devistate md 's and Va econmy and they only live 3-5 years and are not like rockfish who live 25 years or more.

So instead of 20 rec crabbers around you... You would rather have 20 guys with an LCC?

flounderpounder
Lifetime Member

Ignore
« Reply #58 on: October 31, 2013, 10:33:04 AM »

Post from 6 years ago.  Has the internet had any effect?

http://www.bluecrab.info/forum/index.php/topic,20843.0.html

Prob in some places but where i crabbed this year i didnt run into near the amount of boats i usually have previous years. Hope its even less next year!

Clam Digger

Ignore
« Reply #59 on: October 31, 2013, 12:24:06 PM »

A+ for me.

I was able to get friends, co-workers, and family members out for a day of crabbing on multiple occasions.  We never killed them out there, but always came back with enough that everyone had as many as they wanted, and even had a few chances to share some leftovers with neighbors.

Great memories for this season.

Although, I think I might be able to squeeze one more trip in this season ...

Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to:  

Home