November 22, 2019, 01:05:24 PM

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Total time logged in: 0 minutes.

Home   Help Login Register  

A D V E R T I S E M E N T

Pages: 1 2 3 [4] 5   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: WHAT GRADE DO YOU GIVE THE 2013 CRABBING SEASON  (Read 17716 times)
rapp414

« Reply #60 on: October 31, 2013, 11:29:15 AM »

A+ for me.

I was able to get friends, co-workers, and family members out for a day of crabbing on multiple occasions.  We never killed them out there, but always came back with enough that everyone had as many as they wanted, and even had a few chances to share some leftovers with neighbors.

Great memories for this season.

Although, I think I might be able to squeeze one more trip in this season ...
Thats a great attitude to have,it should be about more than the amount of crabs,it's the company,being on the water,having some laughs,crabs are nice but as long as you get what you need,its all that counts
headbanger
Lifetime Member

Ignore
« Reply #61 on: October 31, 2013, 11:47:12 AM »

A for quality
D for quantity 

Same here but quality started off as an A and went to B later in the season.
crabman1969
In Memoriam 12/2013

Get out of my wheelhouse!

Ignore
« Reply #62 on: October 31, 2013, 07:08:24 PM »

The crabs will always fool the scientists.  Just because many did not catch does not mean that the crabs aren't there.
This I can relate to!  The days the crabs turned on was for a very short time, maybe 2 hours a day.  Then I baited up 3000ft. of snooded line with clams, bag every 10 ft. Never seen nothing like it!  7 bushels. did not unbait and used the same line the next morning, 4 more bushels.  Then a month later there was days when could not top a bushel.
crabbywaters
Lifetime Member

Ignore
« Reply #63 on: October 31, 2013, 08:47:59 PM »

I'll tell you how bad it is.... I still have a 3rd of the freezer full of bait....  We have NO meat in the freezer.  We fish 20 pots and every trip we had to keep trash to make up a half of a cookpot.  Sad
That's your problem Jack. You have to put the bait in the water to catch crabs laugh laugh. Hope you have a better season next year.

I wish i was a crab.
crabbywaters
Lifetime Member

Ignore
« Reply #64 on: October 31, 2013, 08:50:39 PM »

It did seem to die off early this year. Kinda slow in the beginning also.

I wish i was a crab.

rapp414

« Reply #65 on: October 31, 2013, 08:51:01 PM »

That's your problem Jack. You have to put the bait in the water to catch crabs laugh laugh. Hope you have a better season next year.
You should really look into a crabbing advice website,that info was dead on very informative,you have a talent my friend Wink Wink
crabbywaters
Lifetime Member

Ignore
« Reply #66 on: October 31, 2013, 09:19:30 PM »

You should really look into a crabbing advice website,that info was dead on very informative,you have a talent my friend Wink Wink
When ever I can help Grin

I wish i was a crab.
Scap Capt.

Night Scapper

Ignore
« Reply #67 on: November 01, 2013, 08:11:35 AM »

A+   Got to spend quality time with family and friends (new and old).  Shared my experiences with other BCA members and learned from theirs.  Overall the quality of crabs was good here in South Jersey, although it was a very late start.  Every crabbing trip this year was a blessing for me.   Cool

Quality over Quantity
Ron
Lifetime Member
Global Moderator

RonMeischker https://www.linkedin.com/profile/view?id=220842455&trk=nav_respon RMeischker
« Reply #68 on: November 01, 2013, 09:03:21 AM »

A+   Got to spend quality time with family and friends (new and old).  Shared my experiences with other BCA members and learned from theirs.  Overall the quality of crabs was good here in South Jersey, although it was a very late start.  Every crabbing trip this year was a blessing for me.   Cool

thumbsup

Blue Crab Advisor to the NJ Marine Fisheries Council

11th Annual Assault on Patcong Creek Crabbing Tournament & BBQ
America's Largest Crabbing Tournament
June 26 & 27th, 2020
Somers Point, NJ

http://www.assaultonpatcongcreek.com

To Register:
http://assaultonpatcongcreek.com/the-crabbing-tournament/tournament-registration/

Check out the tournament's page on Facebook!
https://www.facebook.com/assaultonpatcongcreek
jtrex75
Supporting Member

Ignore
« Reply #69 on: November 02, 2013, 09:25:25 AM »

b- for me cant wait intill next seaon bring on them sunny warm may days and let the fun begin again !!!!!

All men die ,few ever really live .

Ron
Lifetime Member
Global Moderator

RonMeischker https://www.linkedin.com/profile/view?id=220842455&trk=nav_respon RMeischker
« Reply #70 on: November 02, 2013, 03:47:21 PM »

My season isn't over yet, so the final grade remains to be seen.   If I had to give it a grade "to date" it would be a C-.     

After today's trip, I'll upgrade the year to a C.   Still more trips to go.

Blue Crab Advisor to the NJ Marine Fisheries Council

11th Annual Assault on Patcong Creek Crabbing Tournament & BBQ
America's Largest Crabbing Tournament
June 26 & 27th, 2020
Somers Point, NJ

http://www.assaultonpatcongcreek.com

To Register:
http://assaultonpatcongcreek.com/the-crabbing-tournament/tournament-registration/

Check out the tournament's page on Facebook!
https://www.facebook.com/assaultonpatcongcreek
Crabby Captn John

Ignore
« Reply #71 on: November 02, 2013, 08:07:59 PM »

The season here is 11 months. I only crab 6 - 7 as I use pots. When vacations are taken the pots come out of the water. Mix of small/large and male/female so the future looks good. Gotta give it an A.

The concern is not with crabs but shrimp. Worst shrimp season in 15 years or more.
MistyBlue

Ignore
« Reply #72 on: November 03, 2013, 08:40:14 AM »

Here is Rhode Island, I'd have to give it a C-. There were plenty of crabs out there, but 98% of them were undersized or females (I don't take the ladies, want to catch their kids next year).
Dirichlet

Ignore
« Reply #73 on: November 06, 2013, 11:57:30 AM »

I'll give it a B-.

26 trips total, just shy of 1300 crabs on the year, with six 8"+ crabs.  That's an average of about 50 crab per trip.  Given that about 3/4 of my "trips" occurred on evenings after work, and were only 3 hours or so of actual crabbing time, I consider that to be not too bad.  June was the best, with a short massive run in mid-October.  Mid- to late-August was bad with extremely low numbers.  September was bad with massive numbers of sooks. 

All in all, it could have been better, but also could probably have been worse.  On only three of my trips did I bushel out.  My boat is now cleaned, winterized, tarped, and behind the house for the winter.  I have about 15-20 lbs of meat in the freezer.  I love crab cakes on NYE Cheesy

Here's hoping for a banner 2014... it's going to be a long winter; I'm already getting antsy.

td2485

"That Marine lawyer crabber guy"

Ignore
« Reply #74 on: December 30, 2013, 06:23:44 PM »

A+ for me.

I was able to get friends, co-workers, and family members out for a day of crabbing on multiple occasions.  We never killed them out there, but always came back with enough that everyone had as many as they wanted, and even had a few chances to share some leftovers with neighbors.

Great memories for this season.

Although, I think I might be able to squeeze one more trip in this season ...

Absolutely what my grade would be, and for the same reasons.  This was my very first season going out and crabbing by boat, but I was able to take a lot of my friends that had never done it and teach them.  Every trip I got a little better, thanks to users on this site.  I could care less about catching a bushel.  I catch enough for myself, whoever goes crabbing with me, and my fiancee (who is sometimes my crabbing partner lol).  Best trip all year was with my uncle, where out of the 2 dozen he gave to me, I only had 3 that were under 7".  If this was a "down" year though, I can't wait for 2014!

A word to the wise ain't necessary, it's the stupid ones that need the advice.

Go to Heaven for the climate, [Sam Hill] for the company.

Republicans don't want to "save the world," they want to save the country from those who would "save the world."

3 little crabbers

Ignore
« Reply #75 on: January 02, 2014, 07:17:55 AM »

An "A", it is all what you make it.  Quality time with my boys teaching them new skills and to respect the environment.  Making new friends and even catching a few crabs along the way.  In which I would say we did ok.  But why do we have to wait so long till the 2014 season begins   Sad
Edaoud
Lifetime Member

Ignore
« Reply #76 on: January 02, 2014, 07:30:49 AM »

An "A", it is all what you make it.  Quality time with my boys teaching them new skills and to respect the environment.  Making new friends and even catching a few crabs along the way.  In which I would say we did ok.  But why do we have to wait so long till the 2014 season begins   Sad
FATE?  Smiley
ktown13

Ignore
« Reply #77 on: January 05, 2014, 03:18:13 PM »

Id have to break that down into 2 grades. All of the comm guys I talked to said it was absolutely terrible. many claiming it to be there worst ever or worst in twenty years.so prob a d for comm guys.
for me the name of the game was quality not quantity. a lot of 2/3 bu days of big crabs but it was like hide and seek finding the crabs. little pockets here and there and every now and again id lay right on them. id give it a C.
Hopefully the numbers from the dredge are up from last years. in recent years when we have wet winters  numbers are normally up in the spring. crossing my fingers for this year. until then ill hope for cold weather and some hard water fishing in MD
Joefroggy

Ignore
« Reply #78 on: January 26, 2014, 05:31:31 AM »

Well in Virginia I would give it an F..... now I am a recreational crabber and only went out 1 day, but wow!!!! I think we got 1 crab in 4-5 hours. Yes 1 . Not just 1 keeper, but 1 crab all together. I did not see females, I did not see small throwbacks, I did not see baitfish, I did not see jellyfish, I did not see dolphin, ya get the idea.  When I went 3-4 years ago we would get 20-40 keepers and a lot of females or small males that I threw back. I used to see all of the things listed above. The Gloucester point area York river just seemed devoid of life that day. I know it was just 1 day last year, but the year before was similar but not as bad. I didn't bother going back in 2013 since it seemed like everyone in VA was having similar results. I'll try again in 2014, enjoy bringing my little girls out there and getting a few to eat but don't wanna waste their time or my gas..... good luck to all this year....

Joefroggy
crabbywaters
Lifetime Member

Ignore
« Reply #79 on: January 26, 2014, 09:36:19 AM »

I give every season a A. Nothing beats a warm summer morning on the water.

I wish i was a crab.

Pages: 1 2 3 [4] 5   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to:  

Home