October 14, 2019, 12:27:15 AM

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Total time logged in: 0 minutes.

Home   Help Login Register  

A D V E R T I S E M E N T

Pages: 1 ... 3 4 [5]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: WHAT GRADE DO YOU GIVE THE 2013 CRABBING SEASON  (Read 17544 times)
rapp414

« Reply #80 on: January 26, 2014, 12:01:41 PM »

I give every season a A. Nothing beats a warm summer morning on the water.
A warm summer morning on water with a bushel of Mumbos beats it
indoe
Lifetime Member

me and the wife

Ignore
« Reply #81 on: January 26, 2014, 03:44:43 PM »

I give last year a B-. Good crabs and bushel or close to a bushel mid to later part of the year. But had to work for them all year.

Crabbing, Fishing and Hunting = Me happy!
Mikie

Ignore
« Reply #82 on: January 26, 2014, 05:20:23 PM »

Well in Virginia I would give it an F..... now I am a recreational crabber and only went out 1 day, but wow!!!! I think we got 1 crab in 4-5 hours. Yes 1 . Not just 1 keeper, but 1 crab all together. I did not see females, I did not see small throwbacks, I did not see baitfish, I did not see jellyfish, I did not see dolphin, ya get the idea.  When I went 3-4 years ago we would get 20-40 keepers and a lot of females or small males that I threw back. I used to see all of the things listed above. The Gloucester point area York river just seemed devoid of life that day. I know it was just 1 day last year, but the year before was similar but not as bad. I didn't bother going back in 2013 since it seemed like everyone in VA was having similar results. I'll try again in 2014, enjoy bringing my little girls out there and getting a few to eat but don't wanna waste their time or my gas..... good luck to all this year....

Joefroggy

I don't really know how to respond to this. I would think if you want to instill a positive experience with your children - pick a pretty day and take them out for a good time, if you catch a few crabs that's just a plus, and they will remember a fun day forever with or without the crabs. If catching crabs is necessary for you to consider your day a success, you need to invest a lot more time in the effort then just one day a year.
jack1747
Lifetime Member
Global Moderator

Crab'n is a way of life....

« Reply #83 on: January 26, 2014, 07:54:38 PM »

I feel Joe's pain, even if only one day.  The lower Bay was a disaster this past season.  So bad that I had to hit my buddy Gene up for a couple bushels so we would have some meat in the freezer.  And fish...  Well, last week me and the Dragon went to Sysco's and bought a box of frozen haddock.   Undecided

We did catch good, hard crabs that past the pinch test but were empty tin cans.  Not 1 Puppy and the few rock looked like they were starving to death. On top of all that, all my oysters were dead. If I saw 2 muskrats that was all.  I am convinced Sandy did it. Sad 

I am looking forward to 2014.  Got my hopes up cause the other day I saw live oysters in the rip rap. thumbsup    Cool

"Helping to Moderate the BCA since 2003" "I've gotten to the point in my life where I no longer give a [shiz] what people think, I'm not going to take any [shiz], because, frankly my dears, I am NOT in the [shiz] business." Quote from Suzy. :-)
indoe
Lifetime Member

me and the wife

Ignore
« Reply #84 on: January 26, 2014, 08:03:13 PM »

Man Jack you had a ruff year. You are usually sick of crabs by the end of april. I hope this year is better for you.

Crabbing, Fishing and Hunting = Me happy!

Joefroggy

Ignore
« Reply #85 on: January 26, 2014, 08:17:36 PM »

The kids still have an ok time, we get snacks and stuff but you know, they wanna catch crabs. Just like when I bring em fishing. They like time with Dad and food and an adventure but still wanna catch fish. I'm not used to going out and not catching any crabs. When I lived in NJ, we got 20-40 keepers on average in 4-5 hours and had a lot of females and throwbacks. I can't remember a day in NJ catching 1 crab.   I'll give 2014 a try but I might just have to bring my stuff up to NJ when I visit family and have some fun up there....

Joefroggy
rapp414

« Reply #86 on: January 26, 2014, 09:37:21 PM »

The kids still have an ok time, we get snacks and stuff but you know, they wanna catch crabs. Just like when I bring em fishing. They like time with Dad and food and an adventure but still wanna catch fish. I'm not used to going out and not catching any crabs. When I lived in NJ, we got 20-40 keepers on average in 4-5 hours and had a lot of females and throwbacks. I can't remember a day in NJ catching 1 crab.   I'll give 2014 a try but I might just have to bring my stuff up to NJ when I visit family and have some fun up there....

Joefroggy

I had heard rumors that there were no crabs in Va,I'm starting to believe them now
shawnbeal7

Ignore
« Reply #87 on: February 28, 2014, 01:13:38 PM »

Wow crabman1969! Id call that an A. I caught 60one trip and. 4 the other two trips. Pretty disappiinting

Pages: 1 ... 3 4 [5]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to:  

Home