November 26, 2020, 12:54:23 PM

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Total time logged in: 0 minutes.

Home   Help Login Register  

A D V E R T I S E M E N T

Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Keep This In Mind  (Read 2388 times)
Crabslayer
Supporting Member

Chesapeake Bay Crab Potter soon to be Java Sea

Ignore
« on: December 03, 2013, 10:08:48 AM »

Be careful when you are kayak crabbing.  Bull sharks have been know to frequent Chesapeake Bay waters.

HONOLULU   A kayak fisherman died Monday off Maui after a shark bit his dangling foot, officials said.

Maui County Ocean Safety officials received a report that a shark attacked a man fishing in a kayak between Maui and Molokini, a small island less than 3 miles off the southwest coast of Maui that's popular for diving and snorkeling.

The victim was fishing with artificial lures to attract baitfish, a news release from the state Department of Land and Natural Resources said.

His fishing partner tied a tourniquet on the man and sought help from a nearby charter tour boat. The boat took them to shore, and the man was then taken to a hospital, the state said. It's unclear when he was pronounced dead.

The man's identity and the kind of shark involved were not immediately available.

Though the attack happened far from shore, the state advised the public to stay out of the water a mile north and a mile south of Makena State Recreation Area in southwest Maui.

There have been eight shark attacks near Maui this year and 13 statewide. On Friday, a woman suffered nonfatal injuries in a Maui attack.

"We are not sure why these bites are occurring more frequently than normal, especially around Maui," said department Chairman William Aila Jr. "That's why we are conducting a two-year study of shark behavior around Maui that may give us better insights."

Over the last 20 years, Hawaii has averaged about four unprovoked shark incidents per year, the state said.

In August, a German tourist died a week after losing her arm in a shark attack. Jana Lutteropp, 20, was snorkeling up to 100 yards off a beach in southwest Maui when the shark bit off her right arm.

Before Lutteropp's death, the last shark attack fatality in Hawaii was in 2004, when a tiger shark bit Willis McInnis' leg while he was surfing in Maui.

Isaac Brumaghim knows firsthand the dangers of kayak fishing, which he said is growing in popularity. He was fishing off Oahu's west coast in April when a camera mounted on his kayak captured footage of a 9-foot shark jumping up and chomping on the tuna he was reeling in.

Sharks are "an absolute danger, every single day," he said. "You have to respect the fact they can bite you at any time."

He said bait in the water can easily attract the animal.

"Just a little bit of blood, a little meat in the water, that's all you need," he said. "It's like dogs out there."

This is how it's going to go.  After I kick your A$$ i'm going to run you through the wood chipper and put you in containers in the freezer to use in my crab pots!  The really sad part?  You let an old man kick your A$$!!!
SHELLFISH
Lifetime Member

Formerly Bogman102

Ignore
« Reply #1 on: December 03, 2013, 07:44:42 PM »

Those Bull Sharks are nasty aggressive critters! Highest testosterone of any animal known!

They are in our waters off Florida too!

Retired in paradise!
Captain Dave

Ignore
« Reply #2 on: December 04, 2013, 05:44:14 AM »

For 16 years I lived down on the lower Potomac where it meets The Bay.The pound netters I have known down there told me that the bull sharks are pretty common down that way.Point Lookout swim beach(scary).
KALknowsRAE

Ignore
« Reply #3 on: December 04, 2013, 11:43:12 AM »

a shark bit his dangling foot

I'll have to be more careful about dangling body parts over the side of a boat.

Crabbing: A game of pinches.
rdbeard
Lifetime Member

Ignore
« Reply #4 on: December 13, 2013, 09:31:13 AM »

Looks like i will have to start taaking a leak into a bucket instead of.

jp57

Ignore
« Reply #5 on: December 13, 2013, 11:22:21 AM »

My Dad always says that when you are in the ocean, you are no longer top of the food chain anymore.
jefftoleft
In Memoriam 02/2017
Lifetime Member

Ignore
« Reply #6 on: December 14, 2013, 12:41:44 AM »

My Dad always says that when you are in the ocean, you are no longer top of the food chain anymore.
Your dad is a smart man.  Roll Eyes Cheesy

You will always catch more crabs with a DOT.NET than a DOT.COM
Crabby Captn John

Ignore
« Reply #7 on: December 14, 2013, 07:16:05 PM »

True, and not just the ocean. I don't fish freshwater but if you stick your hand in freshwater a gator just may want it and the rest of you for lunch.
jp57

Ignore
« Reply #8 on: December 16, 2013, 12:43:04 PM »

Gators don't bother us up here.
capt. ron
Lifetime Member

Ignore
« Reply #9 on: December 17, 2013, 11:41:09 AM »

gators don't bother me.  Heck  we call dem Louisiana yard dogs.  Been close and personal with dem before.

We also have bull sharks in Lake Pontchartrain and surrounding areas.  Those are some nasty critters.   I'm more worried about a shark than a gator any day.

Ronnie

laissez les bon temps rouler
let the good times roll

Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to:  

Home