August 14, 2022, 02:41:30 PM

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Total time logged in: 0 minutes.

Home   Help Login Register  

A D V E R T I S E M E N T

Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Still Early April 2014  (Read 2854 times)
Moonshine

Ignore
« on: April 21, 2014, 03:58:17 PM »

Sorry team but I do not have much to report now. Hopefully things will get going soon in my East Central FL areas of the northern space coast.

My main deal is shrimping this time of year and waiting on the crab run that normally starts late this month and lasts through June. I have so far only seen a couple crabs at night go through my shrimp lights this month and so have my friends dipping shrimps.

This year has not been a good year in my favorite big shrimp spots and only north Brevard around Oak Hill has been hot with dipping shrimps. Although there has not been much talk of lots of small baby crabs that normally are in high abundance during the nightly shrimp runs this time of year in this area and me too with time spent on the water there. Pour water quality, lots of traps the last couple years, plus mine and others dips may have taken a tole on the Keeper crabs the last few years. Time will tell and I will keep you posted.

Got a nice new combo crab and shrimp net waiting to try plus another one made mostly for the crab run if it happens. Both should do well once or if the crabs show late this month. All we need now is the crab run to show at night in our lights.

Here is a few photos of the few good buckets of shrimps. Wish I had more buckets of shrimps to show for time spent on the water this winter season. It has been slim pickens in most of my big shrimp spots...

Hope to show some crabs soon..

Here is a photo of my new Crab/shrimp net next to my standard larger shrimp net. This net replaces my old Ed comings beat up hollow blue' rim net. My old net was shot out from years of Crab claws and also doubled as my wife's shrimp net. This new replacement 11 dollar net I ordered from Ed comings online. I put this replacement net on an old solid 3/8 rim and quality 1 inch 8 ft long pole. It should out last my old crab net by years and also give me more reach. In my area we dip crabs at night along with shrimp at the same time. One scoop could get you a nice crab and 2 shrimps at the same time. This is the reason for the smaller mesh. A crab only net would have larger netting.

I also got nice new black net Capt Lee and Ed shoemaker made for me. It is very strong mesh and 3/8 hole size. I want to show you a pic but this post is maxed out on photos. If you want to see it I can make a new thread. This net is also around 24 inches triangular shaped 3/8 heavy mesh plus solid rim and quality 8 ft pole. Both of these nets will last many dipping crab/shrimp seasons....

See ya soon with some Claws in the cooler......Take care.

« Last Edit: April 21, 2014, 04:35:39 PM by Moonshine » Logged

Got to go to Know, another jumbo just swam under the boat...
Night Wing

Ignore
« Reply #1 on: April 22, 2014, 06:48:17 AM »

Those are some very big shrimp. Thanks for taking all the photos and sharing them.

Standup Paddleboard: SUP Sports Hammer: Length 8' 11". Width: 31". Thickness: 4". Volume: 140 Liters. Weight: 17#.
Moonshine

Ignore
« Reply #2 on: April 22, 2014, 05:49:47 PM »

Wing this is a below season for me and my nets. I should have 10 limits by now of the same size shrimps or larger..

Just hope the crabs swim better this year then the shrimps in my areas.

We have had some bad water quality and low rain fall the last couple years. Lots of green water in the lagoons plus heavy nets and traps..

Soon and very soon time will tell if we are to have good crabs swimming in our lights heading out to see at night in our lights..

I will keep you all posted in my waters and nights as time goes by....

Here is a couple shots of my new shrimp/crab nets. The blue one is 24inches wide by 22 inches sides.

The black one is about the same size but much stronger mesh..

Hope to put both of them to the test soon when the crabs come through my lights at night in my LED mac-daddy Light field.

Crabs are so easy to dip when swimming at night then baiting them with trap or lines.... To bad this only happen for 2 months a year in  my zones..  Once you dip crabs in the cool night air you will have a hard time going back to traps or lines...

See ya soon with crabs.....

« Last Edit: April 22, 2014, 05:55:40 PM by Moonshine » Logged

Got to go to Know, another jumbo just swam under the boat...
SHELLFISH
Lifetime Member

Formerly Bogman102

Ignore
« Reply #3 on: April 30, 2014, 03:37:43 PM »

Thanks for the post about shrimping and the crabbing nets. You saved me time!
I just got my boat down from CT and it is now registered in Florida. I have a service scheduled next week so I should be in the water soon! Just in time to miss the shrimp! Bummer! When I get the time I'll post pictures of my nets. Your black net looks good but the crabs will still get caught in the webbing and are a pain to remove. If you are on your boat you might think about a metal net. They are easy to remove from that!

I am bogman on Lees site.

Retired in paradise!
crewstation
Lifetime Member

Ignore
« Reply #4 on: May 01, 2014, 06:00:20 AM »

Great post, moonshine.  Lots of good info and pics.  Thanks.

Oh, de crab, he taste so fine.
Yuh catch 'um wid a neck an' a line.
Bile de water 'til 'e good 'n hot.
Den eat de crab strait from 'de pot.

Oh, de beer, he taste so chilly.
Drinks it 'til I gets too silly.
Washin' down 'de crab an' butter.
If I doesn't fall down, I'll 'ave anudder.

bigahole

Ignore
« Reply #5 on: May 07, 2014, 09:50:57 PM »

[dang] huge shrimps, what species are they?

Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to:  

Home