February 20, 2018, 12:36:08 AM

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Total time logged in: 0 minutes.

Home   Help Login Register  

A D V E R T I S E M E N T

Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Mike and Cathy's Subs and Suds AYCE Edgewater Florida  (Read 21129 times)
SHELLFISH
Lifetime Member

Formerly Bogman102

Ignore
« on: March 01, 2014, 11:50:56 AM »

This place is new to the area and on Thursday thru Saturday they offer AYCE Blue Crabs for $17.95.

I stopped in last night to give them a try. As I feared the crabs were small but there were some good sized ones too.
Crabs, cooked Maryland style, were 5 to 6.5 inches with an average of around 5.75 to 6 inches.
While eating the owner (Cathy) stopped by my table, looked at my debris pile and stated you know how to eat a crab. She then apologized for the small crabs and stated they are usually bigger but that was what was available. She then went into the back room and came out with four more 6.5 inch crabs! The crabs were about 30% light but more were heavy and dark! Overall good crabs; I ate 12 in two hours. I was felling guilty abut taking so long eating crabs. There were three old ladies also eating crabs there and were doing a fair country job of it too!
The great part about the dinner was Bud light beer on tap is free while you are eating! Bottomless beer glass.....I love it!
Mike, the other owner, stopped by to say hello and stated the most crabs he has seen eaten was 18. He stated the crabs come from Oak Hill, just down the road, where the crabber has 600 pots out. He requested 50 pounds of crabs and the fellow checked 50 traps to get the 50 pounds of crabs for him. The crabber stated to him that the crabs are few and small right now. Mike is also a nice guy!
Overall I liked my experience there and will be back!

Retired in paradise!
king crab 48
Lifetime Member

Ignore
« Reply #1 on: March 01, 2014, 07:13:32 PM »

I am jealous, All I got was a cheddar burger at the Mohegan sun !!!!!!!!! Tongue Undecided
crewstation
Lifetime Member

Ignore
« Reply #2 on: March 01, 2014, 07:42:21 PM »

That sounds to me like a "happy place".  The fact that they cared enough to "apologize" for the size and bring a few of their best says a lot.  And a bottomless glass can't be beat.  Hope you are enjoying retirement. 

Oh, de crab, he taste so fine.
Yuh catch 'um wid a neck an' a line.
Bile de water 'til 'e good 'n hot.
Den eat de crab strait from 'de pot.

Oh, de beer, he taste so chilly.
Drinks it 'til I gets too silly.
Washin' down 'de crab an' butter.
If I doesn't fall down, I'll 'ave anudder.
CaptMoose
Lifetime Member

Ignore
« Reply #3 on: March 02, 2014, 04:20:39 PM »

What great timing!  I will be down there for work in a few weeks.  I will do my best to stop by and try the place out.  The price is right.  I'll have to pack my crab knife and J.O.!

23' C Hawk
CaptMoose
Lifetime Member

Ignore
« Reply #4 on: March 02, 2014, 04:21:06 PM »

Do you know of any other AYCE places south of there? 

23' C Hawk

SHELLFISH
Lifetime Member

Formerly Bogman102

Ignore
« Reply #5 on: March 02, 2014, 06:46:26 PM »

I don't know of any. The only other crab house near me is Mrs. Apples by Cocoa. I stopped in there once, they had no crabs and I walked out!

There are some crab houses south of Canaveral but I am not familiar with them and have never been in the area.

Capt. Moose, If you get to the area drop me a pm and I'll eat crabs with you!

Retired in paradise!
flounderpounder
Lifetime Member

Ignore
« Reply #6 on: March 02, 2014, 09:22:34 PM »

What great timing!  I will be down there for work in a few weeks.  I will do my best to stop by and try the place out.  The price is right.  I'll have to pack my crab knife and J.O.!

Just dont put it in the carry-on bag!! Lol

" I CAN SKIN A BUCK, I CAN RUN A TROT LINE A PA BOY CAN SURVIVE" 

"YOU CAN LOVE ME OR HATE ME, BUT WHEN YOU HATE ME, YOU LOVE TO HATE ME "Wink
CaptMoose
Lifetime Member

Ignore
« Reply #7 on: March 02, 2014, 11:14:29 PM »

You got it Shellfish!  And I hear you FP.  Took a seldom-used backpack once that had a multitool buried in a narrow little side pouch.  Xray found it, I had no idea.  Luckily it was a cheap one.

23' C Hawk
pir8teslife

Ignore
« Reply #8 on: April 06, 2014, 09:23:30 AM »

* Modified by poster
« Last Edit: October 17, 2015, 10:12:26 AM by pir8teslife » Logged
SHELLFISH
Lifetime Member

Formerly Bogman102

Ignore
« Reply #9 on: April 06, 2014, 02:46:16 PM »

I'm glad to hear that you liked Mike & Cathys and had a great experience!
I've been there twice now and overall enjoyed the experience!
I did get a few light crabs each trip but that is to be expected at this time of year.
They should only get better from now on.
I will also start catching my own!

Retired in paradise!

pir8teslife

Ignore
« Reply #10 on: October 17, 2015, 10:20:38 AM »

Just a follow up to Mike & Cathys .. if you call and reserve, they will charge you a $10 table holding fee ( NON-REFUNDABLE ). Do yourself a favor and look up the reviews on this place and any (supposedly) all you can eat crab places. Read the reviews and form your own opinion. Some of the places might have good deals... while others will be scams.
SHELLFISH
Lifetime Member

Formerly Bogman102

Ignore
« Reply #11 on: October 18, 2015, 09:21:57 AM »

The site doesn't have a web site but when I Googled it there have been seven reviews. All were 5 star favorable and one stated they are not at all shy about loading up the table with crabs!
The $10 table reserve I can understand. He orders his crabs for how many folks he thinks will be there that day. That's why he requests reservations. If the crabs don't sell he's stuck with them when a customer fails to show up. The $10 helps to defray his costs.
I have not been back to Make and Cathys for a while now since I started catching my own.

Again: I have no affiliation with Mike and Cathy's. They are just both good people and the restaurant is close to home.
« Last Edit: October 18, 2015, 09:24:05 AM by SHELLFISH » Logged

Retired in paradise!
pir8teslife

Ignore
« Reply #12 on: October 18, 2015, 01:16:47 PM »

I am not disagreeing with you that its nice place. But when the owner sits down and gives you a sob story of how they aren't going to make it this month, last month and the next month..  .. and then turn around in two weeks and speaks of going on a trip.. sure it makes sense. We used to be regular but tired of being told after the first batch.. " well this is all we have for the day".. we stopped going. If you advertise  a AYCE.. then be ready for AYCAE and not there is a limit of 2 refills. For example... High Tide Harry's offers "ALMOST" all you can eat.. and they advertise specifically you get " this much" and not AYCE and then only give you 2 sets of 6 very small crabs.

As for the reviews.. Zomato's (urbanspoon) has 3 outta 5 stars. Tripadvisor 4 outta 5 stars. Yelp 4 outta 5.

PUBLIC INFORMATION ~ found on the states website by anyone.
I also found the state health inspectors inspection detail  which started on 7-14-2015, required a follow up visit on 7-21-2015. And that visit required ANOTHER follow up visit on 7-22-2015
---------------------------------------
List of violations on 7-14-2015
01C-06-4      Basic - Clams/mussels/oysters removed from original container for long-term storage. Oysters, in 5 gallon container. Additionally, tag dated with date first oyster served and not date last oyster served. **Warning** 
12B-07-4      Basic - Employee beverage container on a food preparation table or over/next to clean equipment/utensils. Cookline. **Warning** 
14-11-4      Basic - Equipment in poor repair. Left door in turbo air cooler. **Warning** 
23-07-4      Basic - Gaskets with white mold-like build-up. Cookline **Warning** 
38-07-4      Basic - Lights in food preparation, food storage or warewashing area missing the proper shield, sleeve coatings or covers. Cookline **Warning** 
16-46-4      Basic - Old labels stuck to food containers after cleaning. Pasta in container dated 6/26 - made previous day per operator. **Warning** 
50-17-1      High Priority - Hotel and Restaurant license is expired. License with the Division of Hotels and Restaurants expired 4/1/15 and was not renewed. Admin Complaint** **Admin Complaint** 
03D-05-4      High Priority - Potentially hazardous (time/temperature control for safety) food cooked/heated yesterday/on a previous day not cooled from 135 degrees Fahrenheit to 41 degrees Fahrenheit within a total of 6 hours. Food has been cooling overnight. See stop sale. Baked pasta 48F in reach in cooler, cooked previous evening per operator. **Warning** 
08A-03-5      High Priority - Raw animal food stored over or with ready-to-eat food in reach-in freezer _ not all products commercially packaged. Open bag of raw fish In freezer over bread. **Warning** 
01B-02-4      High Priority - Stop Sale issued on potentially hazardous (time/temperature control for safety) food due to temperature abuse. **Warning** 
02C-03-4      Intermediate - Commercially processed ready-to-eat, potentially hazardous (time/temperature control for safety) food opened and held more than 24 hours not properly date marked after opening. deli meats **Warning** 
31A-04-4      Intermediate - Handwash sink removed from food preparation/dishwashing area. Must be reinstalled in the same location where removed. Server area. **Repeat Violation** **Warning** 
31A-11-4      Intermediate - Handwash sink used for purposes other than handwashing. Employee draining potatoes in cookline handsink. **Warning** 
27-16-4      Intermediate - Hot water not provided/shut off at employee handwash sink. Dish area **Warning** 
53A-01-5      Intermediate - Manager lacking proof of food manager certification. A list of accredited food manager certification examination providers can be found at (*LINK REMOVED). Co owner Mike **Warning** 
16-35-4      Intermediate - No chlorine chemical test kit provided when using chlorine sanitizer at three-compartment sink/warewashing machine. **Warning** 
27-11-4      Intermediate - No running water at mop sink, front handsink. **Warning** 
14-14-4      Intermediate - Nonfood-grade basting brush used in food. Operator discarded, **Corrected On-Site** **Warning** 
------------------------------------
List of violations on 7-21-2015
01C-06-4      Basic - Clams/mussels/oysters removed from original container for long-term storage. Oysters, in 5 gallon container. Additionally, tag dated with date first oyster served and not date last oyster served. **Warning** 
12B-07-4      Basic - Employee beverage container on a food preparation table or over/next to clean equipment/utensils. Cookline. **Warning** 
14-11-4      Basic - Equipment in poor repair. Left door in turbo air cooler. **Warning** 
23-07-4      Basic - Gaskets with white mold-like build-up. Cookline **Warning** 
38-07-4      Basic - Lights in food preparation, food storage or warewashing area missing the proper shield, sleeve coatings or covers. Cookline **Warning** 
50-17-1      High Priority - Hotel and Restaurant license is expired. License with the Division of Hotels and Restaurants expired 4/1/15 and was not renewed. Admin Complaint** **Admin Complaint** 
08A-03-5      High Priority - Raw animal food stored over or with ready-to-eat food in reach-in freezer _ not all products commercially packaged. Open bag of raw fish In freezer over bread. **Warning** 
01B-02-4      High Priority - Stop Sale issued on potentially hazardous (time/temperature control for safety) food**Warning** oysters without a tag 
02C-03-4      Intermediate - Commercially processed ready-to-eat, potentially hazardous (time/temperature control for safety) food opened and held more than 24 hours not properly date marked after opening. deli meats **Warning** 
31A-04-4      Intermediate - Handwash sink removed from food preparation/dishwashing area. Must be reinstalled in the same location where removed. Server area. **Repeat Violation** **Warning** 
27-16-4      Intermediate - Hot water not provided/shut off at employee handwash sink. Front handsink. **Warning** 
53A-01-5      Intermediate - Manager lacking proof of food manager certification. A list of accredited food manager certification examination providers can be found at (*LINK REMOVED). Co owner Mike **Warning** 
16-35-4      Intermediate - No chlorine chemical test kit provided when using chlorine sanitizer at three-compartment sink/warewashing machine. **Warning** 
-------------------------------------
List of violations on 7-22-2015
01C-06-4      Basic - Shellstock tag dated with date first oyster served and not date last oyster served. **Warning** 
16-35-4     Intermediate - No chlorine chemical test kit provided when using chlorine sanitizer at three-compartment sink/warewashing machine. **Warning** 
-----------------------------------
SHELLFISH
Lifetime Member

Formerly Bogman102

Ignore
« Reply #13 on: October 19, 2015, 09:23:19 AM »

Typical report of most restaurants. Look at reports from Asian Buffets!

Can you offer any better crab places in the Orlando area?

Retired in paradise!
Ron
Lifetime Member
Global Moderator

RonMeischker https://www.linkedin.com/profile/view?id=220842455&trk=nav_respon RMeischker
« Reply #14 on: November 16, 2015, 07:35:01 AM »

Online reviews are mixed.

https://www.google.com/#q=mike+and+cathy%27s+all+you+can+eat

9th Annual Assault on Patcong Creek Crabbing Tournament & BBQ
America's Largest Crabbing Tournament
June 22-23, 2018
Somers Point, NJ

http://www.assaultonpatcongcreek.com

To Register:
http://assaultonpatcongcreek.com/the-crabbing-tournament/tournament-registration/

Check out the tournament's page on Facebook!
https://www.facebook.com/assaultonpatcongcreek

Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to:  

Home