September 16, 2019, 08:50:22 AM

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Total time logged in: 0 minutes.

Home   Help Login Register  

A D V E R T I S E M E N T

Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Louisiana crabs  (Read 2059 times)
Barbarella

Any day is a crabbing day

Ignore
« on: March 02, 2014, 12:46:19 PM »

Has anyone bought crabs from Louisiana? While down in Newark Delaware last weeknend I went to the Farmers Market and got a dozen. I came home and proceeded to steam them the  same amount of time I always do. These were all female which is not my favorite but was slim pickings.  I had a [Sam Hill] of a time pulling the backs off, it was like they were cemented on. I had to use a knife and pry them off not just use hands as usual. And they  were mushy and it was almost impossible to get the meat out, it clung to the shells.. what is going on with those crabs and did I get a bad batch or what?  All were alive when cooked... any ideas??   
Crabcruncher

Ignore
« Reply #1 on: March 02, 2014, 02:21:43 PM »

If the backs were hard to remove, it sounds like they were undercooked. How long did you steam them for? Was the fire hot enough? Pot big enough? Lid fit well? Did you do anything different this time? How much liquid was in bottom?
Ive eaten crabs from La. without any problems. This time of year they are pretty heavy.

Say brother....can you spare a crab...
Barbarella

Ignore
« Reply #2 on: March 02, 2014, 05:16:54 PM »

I steamed them for about 21 minutes as I always do.
Pot was big enough, lid fit and did nothing different. Had enough water to steam. . No clue why was like this.
Crabcruncher

Ignore
« Reply #3 on: March 02, 2014, 09:27:13 PM »

Don't know, but this time of year down south the crabbers let there traps soak for up to a week before pulling them.  Maybe these crabs came from a crabber who took a month off before pulling them. You can always tell the one week pulls by the nasty smell the crabs get from the rotting bait in the traps.

flounderpounder
Lifetime Member

Ignore
« Reply #4 on: March 02, 2014, 09:55:43 PM »

I steam no less then 25 mins. No matter 1 crab or 1 bushel

" I CAN SKIN A BUCK, I CAN RUN A TROT LINE A PA BOY CAN SURVIVE" 

"YOU CAN LOVE ME OR HATE ME, BUT WHEN YOU HATE ME, YOU LOVE TO HATE ME "Wink

capt. ron
Lifetime Member

Ignore
« Reply #5 on: March 03, 2014, 10:55:30 AM »

Barbarbella  The problem started when you steamed your crabs. laugh laugh laugh Louisiana crabs are meant to be boiled. Grin Grin

No particular reason that you had problems pulling off the shell,  but maybe they might have been on steroids. Undecided Undecided laugh laugh laugh

Ronnie

laissez les bon temps rouler
let the good times roll
Crabcruncher

Ignore
« Reply #6 on: March 03, 2014, 01:52:42 PM »

Meat is definitely firmer when you boil them.
Best for pickin.

Barbarella

Ignore
« Reply #7 on: March 03, 2014, 02:10:58 PM »

Wow did not realize firmer if boil . I steam because I thought the Old Bay seasoning on them flavors more than when boiled. Will boil next time. Will increase cooking time also and thanks!!!
Crabcruncher

Ignore
« Reply #8 on: March 04, 2014, 12:34:44 AM »

http://www.mccormick.com/-/media/Zatarains/Products/Spices%20and%20Seasonings/475x257/7142901800_Product.ashx
I use the 4.5 lb. jar of Zatarains shrimp, crawfish, and Crab boil. Buy it in Walmart.  For a dozen crabs I would use five quarts of water and add 8 ozs. of crab boil powder, one lemon halved, three tspns of salt, sprinkle of cayenne and a couple cloves of garlic or sprinkle of garlic powder.
Bring water and seasonings to boil, than add crabs one at a time, cover and bring back to boil. Once you see liquid boiling again, cook for five minutes than turn off heat and let crabs soak in liquid for fifteen minutes, than remove and eat. Do not overcook. Five minutes of boiling is good, than let soak for the fifteen minutes in the hot liquid which is when the crabs absorb the spicy flavors.

I like em steamed and I like them boiled, depends on what mood I am in. Careful with the cayenne if you don't like too much heat.
« Last Edit: March 04, 2014, 12:36:33 AM by Crabcruncher » Logged

Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to:  

Home