October 22, 2018, 09:03:18 PM

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Total time logged in: 0 minutes.

Home   Help Login Register  

A D V E R T I S E M E N T

Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 ... 8   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Maryland Winter Dredge Survey 2014  (Read 23554 times)
ChrisS

Ignore
« Reply #20 on: March 11, 2014, 09:10:38 AM »

Gene,
It doesn't need to be fixed?

Are you crazy???

I'm asking you, your in charge. What do you do to help blue crabs?

in·teg·ri·ty   
–noun 1. adherence to moral and ethical principles; soundness of moral character; honesty
rdbeard

Ignore
« Reply #21 on: March 11, 2014, 12:26:47 PM »

Chris i know you were posting Gene but what if i said it can't be fixed any better than what it is and i also said that it can and will get better and it can and will get worse because crab populations are so cyclic? All I'm saying is more and more and more regulation will never FIX the problem if the problem is water quality and everything that goes with that problem. DNR says at this time and for the last 5 years that crabs arte not being overfished by thier standards so we might just end up with the ups and downs we are now experiancing. I would also put you in the same hot seat and say how would you fix the problem.
ChrisS

Ignore
« Reply #22 on: March 11, 2014, 01:23:27 PM »

Cycles are a myth.

You guys need to drop that as a "scientific method".

We said grouse were in cycles........their close to gone.

We said quail were in cycles.........their almost gone.

We said pheasant were in cycles.......they are gone.

Been waiting for the crab cycle to come back around since the 80's. Their not coming back, unless someone does something about it. The DNR is trying.

As far as me, fixing the problem. I'd close the season down for 2 year minimum. See if crabs rebound.

in·teg·ri·ty   
–noun 1. adherence to moral and ethical principles; soundness of moral character; honesty
ChrisS

Ignore
« Reply #23 on: March 11, 2014, 01:25:43 PM »

Consistently bashing one department that's trying their best without offering another alternative, isn't going to help crabs rebound either.

So, I said shut the season down. That's my opinion.

What was yours?

in·teg·ri·ty   
Big Liar

Ignore
« Reply #24 on: March 11, 2014, 02:42:18 PM »

DNR can't shut the season down.  That would mean that they would not be able to collect the rediculously high license fees that they do.  (That would save me a couple thousand $'s though) 

Cycles are a myth?Huh  Really.  My wife has cycles.  My sex life has cycles.  (Although it has trended down over the years)  My hunting, fishing, and crabbing years have all experienced cycles.  Two years ago, I had a really good crabbnig year.  Last year, fishing was very good. 

So let's say you shut it down for 2 years.  And then what?  Only two possible causes for lack of crabs:   Degraded habitat or Over Fishing.  In either case, 3 years after you re-open the season - you will be back in the same boat.  Unless you really clean up the bay during those 5 years, or put a major reduction on all harvesting.   Let's see you hold your breath until either one happens.   

Just one of the few bad apples that keeps wizzing in the MSSA's and TF's milk.  Not because I have violations (because I don't'), but because I'm catching the resources that they claim to own and have more rights to.

rdbeard

Ignore
« Reply #25 on: March 11, 2014, 03:46:07 PM »

Chris ,why are the grouse, quail gone??? pheasants are imports so. If you closed the quail season but they still don't have the habitat they need same thing or did over harvest take them away and if so do you still believe DNR can stop the problem. Watermen have been crabbin for a long time and they know cycles in all fisheries are real, even DNR knows this but the cycles are trending down over the long trend because of water quiality not over fishing. As far as closeing the crab season, crabs are not like rockfish they don't live 25 years just 3-5 years tops so in the 2 years that its closed crabs will die off anyway.
ChrisS

Ignore
« Reply #26 on: March 11, 2014, 03:54:35 PM »

.....lol, I just can't understand your mind set. It baffles me. laugh

They cant fix it, their cycling down, there's hardly any crabs left, it's not our fault but it's because of pollution............let's just keep catching them.

in·teg·ri·ty   
indoe
Lifetime Member

me and the wife

Ignore
« Reply #27 on: March 11, 2014, 04:08:53 PM »

I have an answer for you guys. First start off by cleaning up the bay. Then have commercial crabbers keep female crabs with eggs in a live well. They turn them over to the drn and the state pays the commercial fisherman for the crabs. The female crabs are put into a holding tank until the eggs hatch. The baby crabs are kept in the tanks until they reach 1 inch. Then they are released back into the bay. This should increase the population as crabs are more vulnerable when they are smaller. If that does not help, keep the crabs until the reach 2 inches. Crabs grow fast and tanks or ponds can be built to hold the crabs. The dnr could hire commercial fisherman to run these crab farms. There are farm raised fish, shrimp, mussel so why cant crabs be farmed for a little bit. Problem solved.  Wink
« Last Edit: March 11, 2014, 04:15:06 PM by indoe » Logged

Crabbing, Fishing and Hunting = Me happy!
genecrabman

OBX CRABS @ HALF-FAST SEAFOOD 252 202 6469

Ignore
« Reply #28 on: March 11, 2014, 04:17:07 PM »

People are getting rich doing these crab studies.....didn't Md. DNR "give"  over a Half a Million dollars to the EDF for their help on fixing the problem? DNR has bloated it's budget for the past decade...It's more about the money than helping the Watermen...Millions of dollars are pissed away in studing oysters,crabs and fish....And nothing gets better...$$$$$$$$$$$ 
ChrisS

Ignore
« Reply #29 on: March 11, 2014, 04:26:24 PM »

Gene,
DNRs budget is about as thin as it gets. There's legislation this year to merge them with the state police because they have no money. Five hundred thousand? Thats not a lot of money.

....but, since your back reading the tread again, how does Gene fix the crab issue?

in·teg·ri·ty   

Big Liar

Ignore
« Reply #30 on: March 11, 2014, 04:28:52 PM »

I have an answer for you guys. First start off by cleaning up the bay. Then have commercial crabbers keep female crabs with eggs in a live well. They turn them over to the drn and the state pays the commercial fisherman for the crabs. The female crabs are put into a holding tank until the eggs hatch. The baby crabs are kept in the tanks until they reach 1 inch. Then they are released back into the bay. This should increase the population as crabs are more vulnerable when they are smaller. If that does not help, keep the crabs until the reach 2 inches. Crabs grow fast and tanks or ponds can be built to hold the crabs. The dnr could hire commercial fisherman to run these crab farms. There are farm raised fish, shrimp, mussel so why cant crabs be farmed for a little bit. Problem solved.  Wink

Not a crazy idea, but I doubt DNR would go along with it.  Well back before the rockfish moratorium, there were a group of watermen that wanted to build a rockfish hatchery in Caroline county on the Choptank to help the rockfish population.  Land, buildings, and labor would all be donated and not cost the state any money.  The state would not grant the group the needed permits to create this hatchery.  Who knows, mayby times have changed.

Just one of the few bad apples that keeps wizzing in the MSSA's and TF's milk.  Not because I have violations (because I don't'), but because I'm catching the resources that they claim to own and have more rights to.
genecrabman

OBX CRABS @ HALF-FAST SEAFOOD 252 202 6469

Ignore
« Reply #31 on: March 11, 2014, 04:50:00 PM »

Gene,
DNRs budget is about as thin as it gets. There's legislation this year to merge them with the state police because they have no money. Five hundred thousand? Thats not a lot of money.

....but, since your back reading the tread again, how does Gene fix the crab issue?

What has to be Fixed Chris?  Thats the problem with you big government types......Only one person can really "Fix" things, and it's not the Government or DNR...If limits are not working,what place more limits on anything...If I was in charge, i'd take off all the restrictions DNR have on everything...For 2 years anyway.........What could it hurt? Maybe the Watermen can make a living again...Open all crabbing and oyster bottoms up again...Wouldn't that be a crazy idea.......Watermen were able to make a living way before DNR stepped in.......
ChrisS

Ignore
« Reply #32 on: March 11, 2014, 05:02:15 PM »

So, you think there's no shortage of crabs. Full steam ahead?

in·teg·ri·ty   
indoe
Lifetime Member

me and the wife

Ignore
« Reply #33 on: March 11, 2014, 05:02:47 PM »

I know crabs are cannibalistic but if they are hatched at the same time they should molt at the same time. As well as keeping them well fed should keep them from eating each other. It should only take a few months to raise a crab to the 1 inch mark. You could hatch and raise hundreds of millions of crabs each year.  That would be enough for the rec, comm, and wildlife. That is when you include all the crabs that are hatched wild. They could also raise oysters in these ponds as well until they are ready to be released into the wild. Hopefully the bay could be put back to it better conditions as it was 100 years ago. Ok maybe like it was 50 years ago.

ChrisS

Ignore
« Reply #34 on: March 11, 2014, 05:03:37 PM »

The only reason watermen are making a measly living now, is because the DNR stepped in. There would be zero crabs if they didn't.

in·teg·ri·ty   

indoe
Lifetime Member

me and the wife

Ignore
« Reply #35 on: March 11, 2014, 05:05:59 PM »

You guys need to stop fighting and get my great idea rolling!  laugh

ChrisS

Ignore
« Reply #36 on: March 11, 2014, 05:07:08 PM »

Indoe,

I love your idea, but the logistics would be just about impossible.

There's a lot to raising a crab.

in·teg·ri·ty   
indoe
Lifetime Member

me and the wife

Ignore
« Reply #37 on: March 11, 2014, 05:10:21 PM »

Chris you tell me the problem and I will give you a solution.  laugh

ChrisS

Ignore
« Reply #38 on: March 11, 2014, 05:14:14 PM »

I wanna raise crabs. I live on the water in the upper portion of the bay. In an open system, How do I maintain the necessary salinity for these juvenile crabs to survive?

What is the state paying for? Each closed system tank would be the equivalent of one hot tub, running 24/7 the entire season. I have 10 tanks. Whose paying the electric bill?

in·teg·ri·ty   
MagnumTRex
Lifetime Member

TOMCAT IV

Ignore
« Reply #39 on: March 11, 2014, 05:18:11 PM »

In my personal opinion, the problem is with the protection of the predators.  If you increase the population of one species, you have no choice but to impact the population of what it eats. I believe the reason Pheasants are gone and quail and grouse are not much better is the protection of the hawks.  I've been Pheasant hunting many times and had a Hawk on a downed bird before I could retrieve it.  Also, there are not as many people hunting coyotes or trapping fox and their populations are booming.  I believe the increase in the coyote population is attributable for a big impact in the smaller deer herds we are seeing.  As for the crabs, I know very little about Maryland other than what I read as far as catch numbers being down but, it seems it goes in line with the increase in Rockfish numbers.  Same thing seems to have happened to the weakfish.  In NJ we can keep females, have a smaller legal size and the populations from my point of view as a recreational crabber are very stable. And the water quality is certainly no better than in MD.  As a matter of fact, I've been catching more over the past few years than I ever used to catch although that may be do to learning some new skills here. 

Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 ... 8   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to:  

Home