February 17, 2018, 07:46:37 PM

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Total time logged in: 0 minutes.

Home   Help Login Register  

A D V E R T I S E M E N T

Pages: 1 ... 6 7 [8]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Maryland Winter Dredge Survey 2014  (Read 20616 times)
BROWN BELLY

Ignore
« Reply #140 on: April 17, 2014, 12:52:09 AM »

In my personal opinion, the problem is with the protection of the predators.  If you increase the population of one species, you have no choice but to impact the population of what it eats. I believe the reason Pheasants are gone and quail and grouse are not much better is the protection of the hawks.  I've been Pheasant hunting many times and had a Hawk on a downed bird before I could retrieve it.  Also, there are not as many people hunting coyotes or trapping fox and their populations are booming.  I believe the increase in the coyote population is attributable for a big impact in the smaller deer herds we are seeing.  As for the crabs, I know very little about Maryland other than what I read as far as catch numbers being down but, it seems it goes in line with the increase in Rockfish numbers.  Same thing seems to have happened to the weakfish.  In NJ we can keep females, have a smaller legal size and the populations from my point of view as a recreational crabber are very stable. And the water quality is certainly no better than in MD.  As a matter of fact, I've been catching more over the past few years than I ever used to catch although that may be do to learning some new skills here. 

rockfish come up into the bay to spawn about the same water temp the crabs start digging out 53 to 55 deg, and the big rock that come up the bay love to fatten up on crabs
genecrabman

OBX CRABS @ HALF-FAST SEAFOOD 252 202 6469

Ignore
« Reply #141 on: April 17, 2014, 07:26:02 AM »

Should be getting close to the release date............
genecrabman

OBX CRABS @ HALF-FAST SEAFOOD 252 202 6469

Ignore
« Reply #142 on: April 22, 2014, 05:51:51 AM »

Delayed until sometime in May.............WOW, is it that hard to fudge numbers?
crewstation
Lifetime Member

Ignore
« Reply #143 on: April 22, 2014, 06:21:29 AM »

Delayed until sometime in May.............WOW, is it that hard to fudge numbers?

Since discovering the forum a few years ago, I always laughed to myself when you guys bring up the fudging of the numbers. 

But really, how long should it take to gather these numbers...two days after the last haul?  maybe three?  I'm starting to believe you guys are right, that the dredge report is a political tool.

Oh, de crab, he taste so fine.
Yuh catch 'um wid a neck an' a line.
Bile de water 'til 'e good 'n hot.
Den eat de crab strait from 'de pot.

Oh, de beer, he taste so chilly.
Drinks it 'til I gets too silly.
Washin' down 'de crab an' butter.
If I doesn't fall down, I'll 'ave anudder.
captaincrab55
Lifetime Member

Ignore
« Reply #144 on: April 22, 2014, 06:27:49 AM »

Since discovering the forum a few years ago, I always laughed to myself when you guys bring up the fudging of the numbers. 

But really, how long should it take to gather these numbers...two days after the last haul?  maybe three?  I'm starting to believe you guys are right, that the dredge report is a political tool.
They need time to double-check their fudged numbers!!

Supporter and Lifetime Member
2B1ask1

TRUST ME !!!!

jack1747
Lifetime Member
Global Moderator

Crab'n is a way of life....

« Reply #145 on: April 22, 2014, 06:52:17 AM »

They're building a new website.........

"Helping to Moderate the BCA since 2003"
Mr. Ray III
Lifetime Member

Ignore
« Reply #146 on: April 22, 2014, 09:41:00 AM »

Thats a lame excuse.

Watermen and Seafood, Can't Have One Without The Other
tugcapt
Supporting Member

Ignore
« Reply #147 on: April 22, 2014, 12:57:25 PM »

....and they ran out of screws.   laugh laugh laugh

Honorary Chesapeake Spudman
crabster2

I Love Crabs!

Ignore
« Reply #148 on: April 23, 2014, 09:09:49 AM »

They saw sooooo many crabs that they can't believe it, so they're re-checking their numbers.
juggernaut308

Ignore
« Reply #149 on: April 25, 2014, 08:03:24 AM »

In my opinion lawn fertilizer should be banned if you want fertilizer where is plenty of cow poop to go around and its going into the ground eather way. The crab population is effected by the rockfish numbers I guess its a game of supply and demand. We want more rockfish they need to eat so the crab population takes a hit. There's other contributing factors I also agree that Rec crabbers should be limited to one bushel if everyone shot every deer that they seen the whitetail population would diminish. As a hunter I choose to select the deer I take and only take what I need to put food on my table. I hope for a good year and maybe once O'Mally becomes president he will be able to address this issue... jk

SALTDOG52

That's money in the basket.

Ignore
« Reply #150 on: April 26, 2014, 06:40:43 PM »

Winter Crab Dredge Survey Results to be Released Early-May

DNR and the Virginia Institute of Marine Science have conducted the primary assessment of the Chesapeake Bay’s
Blue Crab population annually since 1990. The survey employs crab dredges to sample blue crabs at 1,500 sites
throughout the Chesapeake Bay from December through March. Sampling during winter when blue crabs are
usually buried in the mud and stationary, allows scientists to develop, with good precision, estimates of the
number of crabs present in the Bay.

After review of the survey results, the Chesapeake Bay Stock Assessment Committee issues its annual Blue Crab
Advisory Report, which helps Maryland, Virginia and the Potomac River Fisheries Commission determine whether
management measures are providing adequate conservation for the number of Blue Crabs estimated to be in the
Bay during any given year. This ensures that the Blue Crab harvest stays in balance with the population and
maintains the strength of the joint management system.

Beginning this year, the preliminary survey results will be released in early May to allow more adequate time for
checking data, combining the data sets from Virginia and Maryland, and conducting the analyses that produce the
Committee’s final stock assessment, which will be completed later in the month.

Learn more at dnr.maryland.gov/fisheries/crab/dredge.asp
juggernaut308

Ignore
« Reply #151 on: May 02, 2014, 07:27:23 AM »

http://www.tidewaterreview.com/news/va-tr-vmrc-scientific-survey-shows-blue-crab-stock-drops-20140501,0,6209623.story

Pages: 1 ... 6 7 [8]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to:  

Home