July 11, 2020, 04:37:09 AM

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Total time logged in: 0 minutes.

Home   Help Login Register  

A D V E R T I S E M E N T

Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Crabbing in bad weather/rain?  (Read 17900 times)
skiffn

Ignore
« on: March 15, 2014, 01:35:28 PM »

I'm somewhat new to crabbing other than off of peirs when I was a kid and an occasional trip to Grand Isle. We always picked nice weather so I was wondering how the crabbing is in heavy rain or windy days. I'm not going out in a storm but I don't mind getting wet as long as there's no lightning. So what's the deal on bad weather days? Thanks in advance for helping out a noob!
fishingtom
In Memoriam 08/2015
Lifetime Member

Sarcasm is a body's natural defense against stupid

Ignore
« Reply #1 on: March 15, 2014, 02:55:09 PM »

I crabbed pretty regularly with a guy the last 2 years who thought he was lt.Dan.  We crabbed in everything except a tornado.  Crabbing was usually good with the exception of right after a thunderstorm.  It seems that crabs slowed down considerably after a bad thunderstorm.   I have a picture of him somewhere holding a aluminum boat hook up in the air with lightning flashing in the background.  He used to call me a baby for wanting to get off his 15'allweld aluminum boat...I'm here, he ain't
Crabpot Man
Lifetime Member

I Love Crabs!

Ignore
« Reply #2 on: March 15, 2014, 03:05:48 PM »

Crabs don't care, they're already wet.  Grin
Ron
Lifetime Member
Global Moderator

RonMeischker https://www.linkedin.com/profile/view?id=220842455&trk=nav_respon RMeischker
« Reply #3 on: March 15, 2014, 06:36:47 PM »

I crabbed pretty regularly with a guy the last 2 years who thought he was lt.Dan.  We crabbed in everything except a tornado.  Crabbing was usually good with the exception of right after a thunderstorm.  It seems that crabs slowed down considerably after a bad thunderstorm. 

Interestingly, I've had some great luck crabbing after thunderstorms.   

Blue Crab Advisor to the NJ Marine Fisheries Council

11th Annual Assault on Patcong Creek Crabbing Tournament & BBQ
America's Largest Crabbing Tournament
June 26 & 27th, 2020
Somers Point, NJ

http://www.assaultonpatcongcreek.com

To Register:
http://assaultonpatcongcreek.com/the-crabbing-tournament/tournament-registration/

Check out the tournament's page on Facebook!
https://www.facebook.com/assaultonpatcongcreek
54bobby
Lifetime Member

bob elliott

Ignore
« Reply #4 on: March 15, 2014, 07:36:38 PM »

I love crabbing in the rain as long as it's warm or a least comfortable. always did good too.

Dirichlet

Ignore
« Reply #5 on: March 16, 2014, 11:34:34 PM »

Interestingly, I've had some great luck crabbing after thunderstorms.   

Same here.  The most keepers I ever got on a single run of my line was just after a thunderstorm.

I have been out during storms & rain. 
I don't think it effects the crabbing much.  It does, however, effect the crabbbers - most go it, leaving you to the spoils Cheesy
king crab 48
Lifetime Member

Ignore
« Reply #6 on: March 17, 2014, 06:09:39 AM »

I can't say it makes a difference except , being a chicken-necker the water drops blur the vision.
JIMMYCRAB

GOTTA LOVE IT!!!

Ignore
« Reply #7 on: March 17, 2014, 04:03:44 PM »

On windy days crab  the shallows along the shore where the wind was blowing TO. The waves from the wind stir the bottom up and make the clams easier to find. Unless it's a strong East wind. Crabs don't crawl on an East wind. In that case wait until the day after. Been told that all of my life and from my observations it's true. Those old watermen are right smart.  Rain doesn't make a difference as long as you don't mind getting wet. Like Crabpotman said, crabs are already wet. Cool Cool Cool

Smoked carp tastes just as good as smoked salmon .....when you don't have any smoked salmon.
ralphrepo

Ignore
« Reply #8 on: March 30, 2014, 01:10:35 AM »

I wouldn't mind crabbing in the rain, but as someone who lives in the middle of a major urbanized area (NYC), I have to concede that city waters generally become super polluted during and after a rain for several days, owing to Combine Sewer Overflow. The picture below was taken of a sign posted to the side of a walkway at Gantry Plaza State Park (on the East River), in Long Island City, New York. There is a sewage discharge point directly under the walkway whose effluent then streams directly beneath the Fishing Pier (Pier #4). The sign reminds people that raw untreated sewage is routinely poured into the waterways during rain and it takes several days of tidal action to clear the waters.

So crabbing in bad weather? Certainly, but not anywhere near a large city with old sewer infrastructure.  
« Last Edit: March 30, 2014, 01:20:06 AM by ralphrepo » Logged
Roscoe1929

Ignore
« Reply #9 on: March 30, 2014, 10:17:53 PM »

I'm somewhat new to crabbing other than off of peirs when I was a kid and an occasional trip to Grand Isle. We always picked nice weather so I was wondering how the crabbing is in heavy rain or windy days. I'm not going out in a storm but I don't mind getting wet as long as there's no lightning. So what's the deal on bad weather days? Thanks in advance for helping out a noob!

Down here though in summer months, when does it rain and not be a chance for lightning. never know. Hopefully, crabbing will be a lot better than summer last year.

capt. ron
Lifetime Member

Ignore
« Reply #10 on: March 30, 2014, 10:57:57 PM »

You don't want to be in Lake Pontchartrain or Lake Borgne when the T storms pop up.

Stay inland and be safe.

Ronnie

laissez les bon temps rouler
let the good times roll
TheRiz

Haul 'em in

crabbingzone +crabbingzone crabbingzone

Ignore
« Reply #11 on: May 19, 2014, 05:14:04 PM »

I don't think it effects the crabbing much.  It does, however, effect the crabbbers - most go it, leaving you to the spoils Cheesy

I second this...obviously be smart about it, but sometimes a whole pier could clear leaving you to clean up  Cool

scotty_p

Ignore
« Reply #12 on: June 05, 2014, 04:48:36 PM »

ive heard a lot of people say the crabbing is worse during / after storms, because the rain dillutes the salinity of the water so the crabs move to deeper, saltier water. However, like someone else on the thread, my best day ever was during a storm.  I handline only, and the water was extremely choppy. i guess because the water was so choppy, the crabs refused to let go of the chicken neck, thinking it was just the current.  I pulled them up with 2 or 3 on one line at a time continuously.   The downside, a good bit were females, the upside, the males were large. come to think of it, they were some "big girls" too.  i caught 39 in under an hour and threw countless back.

Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to:  

Home