December 14, 2019, 09:43:11 PM

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Total time logged in: 0 minutes.

Home   Help Login Register  

A D V E R T I S E M E N T

Pages: [1] 2   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Navesink/Shrewbury vs Barnegat Bay  (Read 8182 times)
AllenR

Ignore
« on: March 31, 2014, 07:25:24 PM »

You think the crabs are safer to eat from one or the other or are both in the same ballpark.  I haven't crabbed in decades and going to start back up again.  Back then I crabbed of the pier in Seaside Heights.  I live 25min from the Shrewsbury and 45min from the Barnegat. 

Thanks!
Capt. Frank
Lifetime Member

Ignore
« Reply #1 on: April 01, 2014, 09:30:42 AM »

Safer is a tough one to answer.

My experience has been the Shrewsbury/Navesink crabs are fuller crabs vs. Barnie.  As to safer... i don't know.

Capt. Frank
"HEAT SEEKER"
Chief Instructor
  NJBoatingCollege.Com
  (201) 716-2883 NJ Classes
  (212) 465-3992 NY Classes
  "We teach.  NOT just read to you."
Crabs n clams

Ignore
« Reply #2 on: April 01, 2014, 05:07:23 PM »

I don't know if there is a lot of difference between them and I don't worry about it. But I do clean them before I cook them, it supposedly reduces the dangerous contaminants. I like them better that way so I would do it like that even if they came from pure clean water...Charlie

nadapesca

I Love Crabs!

Ignore
« Reply #3 on: April 04, 2014, 04:57:28 PM »

Common sense should rule here. The Shrewsbury/Nav do mix with the waters from Sandy Hook and Raritan Bays. There has been an advisory on the crabs from Raritan for years. One meal per month from the Raritan which is seven crabs. Funny thing though is the comms don't have to tell you where they got theirs from. So if they dredged the Raritan for crabs and you bought a bushel and had a feast  in December, you went way over the advisory. It is really difficult to tell but if you clean the crabs before eating, which I do, the danger is way lower than if you don't. Just the same, I stay in Barneget as I do better there and there are no advisories.

That being said, the advisories are just that. If you are an occasional crab eater, you probably have nothing to worry about. But what if you eat fish that is on an advisory? What other sources of food have dioxins? You can drive yourself nuts with this, so crab south and clean them first.
Capt. Frank
Lifetime Member

Ignore
« Reply #4 on: April 07, 2014, 09:53:56 AM »

I've never actually seen an advisory on Sandy Hook waters.  Sandy Hook is south of Lower NY Harbor/Lower Bay.  

The Raritan Bay out west near the discharge of the Raritan River does have a dirty history.   But the Sandy Hook Bay entrace to the Shrewsbury #1 is 8 miles from the Raritan River / Cheesequake/ Arthur Kill entrances. The actual SHrewwsbury River feeding the Navesink entrace buoy #5 is 10 miles from the discharge of Raritan River and the Kill. 

Strangely even Keyport ( a lesser hyped crab area) in not cited as a polluted waters.  Yet Keyport is only 2 miles from the discharge of the Arthur Kill and even closer to the Raritan River.  Go figure eh?

Common sense should rule here. The Shrewsbury/Nav do mix with the waters from Sandy Hook and Raritan Bays. There has been an advisory on the crabs from Raritan for years. One meal per month from the Raritan which is seven crabs. Funny thing though is the comms don't have to tell you where they got theirs from. So if they dredged the Raritan for crabs and you bought a bushel and had a feast  in December, you went way over the advisory. It is really difficult to tell but if you clean the crabs before eating, which I do, the danger is way lower than if you don't. Just the same, I stay in Barneget as I do better there and there are no advisories.

That being said, the advisories are just that. If you are an occasional crab eater, you probably have nothing to worry about. But what if you eat fish that is on an advisory? What other sources of food have dioxins? You can drive yourself nuts with this, so crab south and clean them first.
« Last Edit: April 07, 2014, 09:59:08 AM by Capt. Frank » Logged

Capt. Frank
"HEAT SEEKER"
Chief Instructor
  NJBoatingCollege.Com

nadapesca

I Love Crabs!

Ignore
« Reply #5 on: April 07, 2014, 10:26:20 AM »

I've never actually seen an advisory on Sandy Hook waters.  Sandy Hook is south of Lower NY Harbor/Lower Bay.  

The Raritan Bay out west near the discharge of the Raritan River does have a dirty history.   But the Sandy Hook Bay entrance to the Shrewsbury #1 is 8 miles from the Raritan River / Cheesequake/ Arthur Kill entrances. The actual SHrewwsbury River feeding the Navesink entrance buoy #5 is 10 miles from the discharge of Raritan River and the Kill.  

Strangely even Keyport ( a lesser hyped crab area) in not cited as a polluted waters.  Yet Keyport is only 2 miles from the discharge of the Arthur Kill and even closer to the Raritan River.  Go figure eh?

I didn't say there was an advisory for SH Bay, only Raritan. However, you know as well as I do that the waters up there mingle quite a bit. Currents, tides and wind mixes them all up. The last advisory was posted in October of 2013, I think,  and is good until they update it again. Anyway, I don't think it gets to be that big of an issue in the Shrew/Nav if you clean them.  I stay south as it closer, free ( where do they get off with $20.00 fees on that ramshackle sinking boardwalk they call a launch ramp up in Red Bank?) and produces a good amount of crabs if you know the spots. Don't worry Dog, I didn't give it away.

« Last Edit: April 07, 2014, 10:28:16 AM by nadapesca » Logged
Capt. Frank
Lifetime Member

Ignore
« Reply #6 on: April 08, 2014, 09:44:04 AM »

I don't think the heavy metals and [curd] that the Raritan River is famous for ( and the Arthur Kill to a lesser extent) has can be cleaned out.  It's in the meat from what they eat.

Funny probably the cleanest stuff they eat is our baits. LOL

« Last Edit: April 09, 2014, 09:10:29 AM by Capt. Frank » Logged

Capt. Frank
"HEAT SEEKER"
Chief Instructor
  NJBoatingCollege.Com
nadapesca

I Love Crabs!

Ignore
« Reply #7 on: April 08, 2014, 02:29:07 PM »

Actually the hepato (or function really) part of the hepatopancreas does a good job at cleaning and holding heavy metals. As they are short lived, however, it doesn't affect them as it would us. They don't have large amounts of fat to store toxins as do bluefish and stripers. Dioxins and other chemicals only register danger levels in crabs when they are cooked with the organs, and only if those were in an area of higher pollution. The other problem with this is we have other sources of the same [curd] in our food supplies. While it says one meal (seven crabs) per week (general population) or per month (high risk; children, pregnant and/or nursing women) there are now (as of 21013) advisories on fluke, winter flounder, weakfish, and the usual blues and stripers. The larger blues have had their advisory upped to (or down to depending on how you look at it) six meals per year. Stripers from the tidal Delaware at at four meals per year. Catfish from the same waters were listed as one per year. So the problem is, I like to stuff my striper and fluke with crab when I can and that puts me over the limit right off the bat.  So I think we should endeavor to clean out what can be cleaned, as it's everywhere to a degree. What gets me is that some people will actually argue about this as it it is some kind of conspiracy. Their uncle Bob ate crabs outta Newark Bay for 35 years and he wasn't sick once. We didn't get my grandfather to quit smoking (Camels, no filter thank you) until he was in his early 90's. Died of pneumonia at 94. So we should spread some stuff about that being a "gobermint" conspiracy. "You'll have to pry my smokes from my cold dead fingers" Well, they most likely will. But maybe not. Anyway Captain, like you, I clean them crabbies. Easier to grill or make sauce. Almost time, can't wait.
Capt. Frank
Lifetime Member

Ignore
« Reply #8 on: April 09, 2014, 09:20:03 AM »

To be honest, I really think pollution in this area was far worse in the 1800 and most of the 1900's.  Everything got dumped into the water to get rid of.  Sewage was dumped untreated. Factories dumped everything.  That was the old timers "good" old days. 

Turn of 1900's there were clam and oyster beds marked from Staten Island to NJ. Remember life expectancy was late 50's and starting to creep up eatting that [curd].

I'd say from the 1960's on it's been getting cleaner in these parts.  Another reason is there is practically no industry left in this area to worry about, ignoring the legality of what they get a chance to do.

So I think the pollution corner was turned 50 years ago.  And the [curd] they ate 75-100 years ago was far far worse.  Sh*t they thought smoking was a good idea too.

Actually the hepato (or function really) part of the hepatopancreas does a good job at cleaning and holding heavy metals. As they are short lived, however, it doesn't affect them as it would us. They don't have large amounts of fat to store toxins as do bluefish and stripers. Dioxins and other chemicals only register danger levels in crabs when they are cooked with the organs, and only if those were in an area of higher pollution. The other problem with this is we have other sources of the same [curd] in our food supplies. While it says one meal (seven crabs) per week (general population) or per month (high risk; children, pregnant and/or nursing women) there are now (as of 21013) advisories on fluke, winter flounder, weakfish, and the usual blues and stripers. The larger blues have had their advisory upped to (or down to depending on how you look at it) six meals per year. Stripers from the tidal Delaware at at four meals per year. Catfish from the same waters were listed as one per year. So the problem is, I like to stuff my striper and fluke with crab when I can and that puts me over the limit right off the bat.  So I think we should endeavor to clean out what can be cleaned, as it's everywhere to a degree. What gets me is that some people will actually argue about this as it it is some kind of conspiracy. Their uncle Bob ate crabs outta Newark Bay for 35 years and he wasn't sick once. We didn't get my grandfather to quit smoking (Camels, no filter thank you) until he was in his early 90's. Died of pneumonia at 94. So we should spread some stuff about that being a "gobermint" conspiracy. "You'll have to pry my smokes from my cold dead fingers" Well, they most likely will. But maybe not. Anyway Captain, like you, I clean them crabbies. Easier to grill or make sauce. Almost time, can't wait.

Capt. Frank
"HEAT SEEKER"
Chief Instructor
  NJBoatingCollege.Com
nadapesca

I Love Crabs!

Ignore
« Reply #9 on: April 11, 2014, 10:38:43 AM »

It's getting better. But it is still polluted and has a long way to go. Dioxins did not exist way back when and neither did a lot of other by product toxins found in these waters. My point is, ya can't go aw shucks and give in. You still have to be vigilant about what you eat and where it came from, which is why I won't buy crabs. Those comms drag Raritan Bay and sell bushels at the Belford Pirate market and they're not required to tell you where they got them. Fine if you have a few here and there. But what about a steady diet of leftovers as many will have? Whenever they dredge, the "old stuff" comes up for a stay and maybe drifts away. Some of the stuff down there has a pretty long half life and it ain't going nowhere in our time, unless it drifts away.

So the corner was turned, except that the block is the size of a small moon.

jrccrab
Lifetime Member

Crabbing...Oh Yeah

Ignore
« Reply #10 on: April 11, 2014, 11:24:46 AM »

I walk the beach as often as I can.here in NJ & I don't like what I see  Angry maybe better but not good ) Do women really throw out there used plastic feminine (applicators) in the ocean as there all over the beach  Huh Not any I have Known for sure...they are dumping the stuff on loaded barges just beyond the limit along with siringe's, used surgical supplies etc.Where does it stop  Huh
marknut

Full to the brim

Ignore
« Reply #11 on: April 13, 2014, 08:43:35 AM »

Barnegat All the way!!  Grin Grin Grin
nadapesca

I Love Crabs!

Ignore
« Reply #12 on: April 15, 2014, 09:51:03 AM »

Just to be a PIA, check out this book, "Toms River". Nothing to do with the Shew/Nav and the upper Barn showed no evidence of this when checked years ago. But, it just goes to show ya what the Bastages will do to make a buck off of your back (so to speak). Despite their extensive knowledge of what they make and what it does when dumped in the wrong place, they do it anyway, F' you and your kids if ya can't take a joke! Its too expensive to get rid of it the right way, after all, this is Big Pharma, the greediest megagrabber of them all. Would you expect anything less of them?

I'm no literary critic, but I think it's a good read, check it out;   http://www.randomhouse.com/book/47702/toms-river-by-dan-fagin
jrccrab
Lifetime Member

Crabbing...Oh Yeah

Ignore
« Reply #13 on: April 17, 2014, 10:36:40 AM »

Just to be a PIA, check out this book, "Toms River". Nothing to do with the Shew/Nav and the upper Barn showed no evidence of this when checked years ago. But, it just goes to show ya what the Bastages will do to make a buck off of your back (so to speak). Despite their extensive knowledge of what they make and what it does when dumped in the wrong place, they do it anyway, F' you and your kids if ya can't take a joke! Its too expensive to get rid of it the right way, after all, this is Big Pharma, the greediest megagrabber of them all. Would you expect anything less of them?

I'm no literary critic, but I think it's a good read, check it out;   http://www.randomhouse.com/book/47702/toms-river-by-dan-fagin
Guess it is still happening & nothing has changed from what I see anyway?
nadapesca

I Love Crabs!

Ignore
« Reply #14 on: April 17, 2014, 12:14:52 PM »

Guess it is still happening & nothing has changed from what I see anyway?

Ditto, but if we don't keep at it, they'll keep at it. Greed overrules humanity with those people.

jrccrab
Lifetime Member

Crabbing...Oh Yeah

Ignore
« Reply #15 on: April 17, 2014, 12:29:50 PM »

Ditto, but if we don't keep at it, they'll keep at it. Greed overrules humanity with those people.

Yeah I hear ya....just a shame!
Capt. Frank
Lifetime Member

Ignore
« Reply #16 on: April 19, 2014, 05:44:21 PM »

Are you saying NJ does NOT have the best politicians that money can buy?

Probably second to LA in being the most corrupt in the US.  Chicago gets absorbed in the rest of ILL.  While NJ the whole [dang] state stinks,   That's how Christie made his name at US Attorney arresting what..... 20 MAYORS in three months.  

They are bought and delivered here.  So who makes the laws? Smiley)

Yeah I hear ya....just a shame!
« Last Edit: April 21, 2014, 09:21:50 AM by Capt. Frank » Logged

Capt. Frank
"HEAT SEEKER"
Chief Instructor
  NJBoatingCollege.Com
jrccrab
Lifetime Member

Crabbing...Oh Yeah

Ignore
« Reply #17 on: April 20, 2014, 11:54:56 AM »

Who can't buy one...... Angry Angry Angry
Ron
Lifetime Member
Global Moderator

RonMeischker https://www.linkedin.com/profile/view?id=220842455&trk=nav_respon RMeischker
« Reply #18 on: April 20, 2014, 12:50:51 PM »

Exactly.   Political contributions buy vote/support.

Blue Crab Advisor to the NJ Marine Fisheries Council

11th Annual Assault on Patcong Creek Crabbing Tournament & BBQ
America's Largest Crabbing Tournament
June 26 & 27th, 2020
Somers Point, NJ

http://www.assaultonpatcongcreek.com

To Register:
http://assaultonpatcongcreek.com/the-crabbing-tournament/tournament-registration/

Check out the tournament's page on Facebook!
https://www.facebook.com/assaultonpatcongcreek
Luna Sea 3

Ignore
« Reply #19 on: April 24, 2014, 05:01:18 PM »

If the Navasink or Barny crabs were lethal, I would have been dead years ago.  I think people take too much concern about this.  If you enjoy eating them, then eat them.  I am sure you put much more harmful things into your body without even noticing it.. If eating too many crabs kill you, at least you die happy.. lol

Luna Sea 5
VHF 68/72
[email protected]

Pages: [1] 2   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to:  

Home