November 15, 2018, 01:10:03 AM

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Total time logged in: 0 minutes.

Home   Help Login Register  

A D V E R T I S E M E N T

Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 8   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: It's time to stop tinkering and just ban crabbing for one year  (Read 31996 times)
GA

Ignore
« on: May 03, 2014, 11:43:48 PM »

It's time to stop tinkering and just ban crabbing for one year (Baltimore Sun, May 3, 2014)

ChrisS

Ignore
« Reply #1 on: May 04, 2014, 09:08:19 AM »

Good read.

I agree

in·teg·ri·ty   
–noun 1. adherence to moral and ethical principles; soundness of moral character; honesty
Luna Sea 3

Ignore
« Reply #2 on: May 04, 2014, 09:15:19 AM »

The largest consumption of crabs come from the commercial guys and the net draggers.. I don't think the average family, out for a day crabbing with their kids once a week will put a dent in the population.  Why should you stop that part?

If anything, stop the commercial crabbers for a year and not the average family taking their kids crabbing. Why punish our children who love spending the day crabbing, and eating a couple dozen?

Luna Sea 5
VHF 68/72
[email protected]
fishingtom
In Memoriam 08/2015
Lifetime Member

Sarcasm is a body's natural defense against stupid

Ignore
« Reply #3 on: May 04, 2014, 09:53:55 AM »

Popcorn, popcorn, who's got the popcorn?
flounderpounder
Lifetime Member

Ignore
« Reply #4 on: May 04, 2014, 10:35:15 AM »

I agree. And slaughter all the rockfish in the meantime. Open season year round 6 per person per day.

" I CAN SKIN A BUCK, I CAN RUN A TROT LINE A PA BOY CAN SURVIVE" 

"YOU CAN LOVE ME OR HATE ME, BUT WHEN YOU HATE ME, YOU LOVE TO HATE ME "Wink

thbub61

!

Ignore
« Reply #5 on: May 04, 2014, 10:50:10 AM »

you have no idea how many bushels are taken by recs so if they are going to ban it its needs to be a total ban
maybe if the  dnr did keep  records of  how much the rec crabbers are taking you might change your mind
jack1747
Lifetime Member
Global Moderator

Crab'n is a way of life....

« Reply #6 on: May 04, 2014, 12:43:06 PM »

IMO, only riparian owners should be allowed to fish and crab....  Grin

"Helping to Moderate the BCA since 2003"
fishingtom
In Memoriam 08/2015
Lifetime Member

Sarcasm is a body's natural defense against stupid

Ignore
« Reply #7 on: May 04, 2014, 12:57:52 PM »

IMO, only riparian owners should be allowed to fish and crab....  Grin

OK with me
Luna Sea 3

Ignore
« Reply #8 on: May 04, 2014, 01:02:56 PM »

you have no idea how many bushels are taken by recs so if they are going to ban it its needs to be a total ban
maybe if the  dnr did keep  records of  how much the rec crabbers are taking you might change your mind
rec guys are only allowed 1 bushel per day.. The average family/rec guy goes crabbing 2 times per week during the summer.  Why take the joy away from young kids who love the recreational sport of crabbing.  

Taking the mass quantity away from the people who crab in mass quantity is one thing, but keep the recreational part of it alive.  

I have the best childhood memories of crabbing with my grandfather.. I would like my kids to have those same memories.  

Honestly, I have not seen a decrease in the crabbing, other then from storm Sandy.  

They can't blame us about the lack of crabs.  There are alot more factors.. The dredgers, commercial guys, storms, other fish eating crabs, etc.  The population of bluefish and striped bass has increased the past few years... guess what they eat.. .CRABS...   That may also have a part in the so called decline..  

I think 1 full season of not crabbing is useless.  Worse case, limit the production and/or up the size limit.  I personally don't keep the females, maybe that should also be a law.  

Jersey is 1 bushel per day per person..  Change that to 1 bushel per day, per boat, no females allowed, up the size limit 1/2" or so.  There are so many different ways to help preserves the species without harsh moves.

this is just my opinion anyway.. Eliminating something is not the answer.. Controlling it, is..
« Last Edit: May 04, 2014, 01:06:20 PM by Luna Sea 3 » Logged

Luna Sea 5
VHF 68/72
[email protected]
Ron
Lifetime Member
Global Moderator

RonMeischker https://www.linkedin.com/profile/view?id=220842455&trk=nav_respon RMeischker
« Reply #9 on: May 04, 2014, 05:59:24 PM »

The average family/rec guy goes crabbing 2 times per week during the summer.  

Not making a statement either way about a solution to the problem at hand, but I disagree that the average family/recreational crabber crabs twice a week during the summer.    I am sure the frequency of crabbing for rec license holders as a whole is far less than twice a week.     

10th Annual Assault on Patcong Creek Crabbing Tournament & BBQ
America's Largest Crabbing Tournament
June 21-22, 2019
Somers Point, NJ

http://www.assaultonpatcongcreek.com

To Register:
http://assaultonpatcongcreek.com/the-crabbing-tournament/tournament-registration/

Check out the tournament's page on Facebook!
https://www.facebook.com/assaultonpatcongcreek

genecrabman

OBX CRABS @ HALF-FAST SEAFOOD 252 202 6469

Ignore
« Reply #10 on: May 04, 2014, 06:08:34 PM »

The largest consumption of crabs come from the commercial guys and the net draggers.. I don't think the average family, out for a day crabbing with their kids once a week will put a dent in the population.  Why should you stop that part?

If anything, stop the commercial crabbers for a year and not the average family taking their kids crabbing. Why punish our children who love spending the day crabbing, and eating a couple dozen?

It sure makes a difference when it's YOUR TOES that are getting stepped on........ Grin
The true is nobody knows how many bushels are really caught by the Rec sector...I'm sure DNR will soon have a way to make you guys accountable too...More Control and more Power by DNR coming your way....
genecrabman

OBX CRABS @ HALF-FAST SEAFOOD 252 202 6469

Ignore
« Reply #11 on: May 04, 2014, 06:10:19 PM »

Shut Maryland down, everyone can crab from Jack's Place in Va. Cool
GA

Ignore
« Reply #12 on: May 04, 2014, 06:13:28 PM »

They are going to have to implement a catch-share (quota) system for commercial fishermen, nothing else will work.

GA

Ignore
« Reply #13 on: May 04, 2014, 06:18:53 PM »

I disagree that the average family/recreational crabber crabs twice a week during the summer. I am sure the frequency of crabbing for rec license holders as a whole is far less than twice a week.
I agree, more like between once a month and a couple of times a summer. BCA members should not be confused with the average recreational crabber. I rarely go more than once a week during the season but I do drive by popular crabbing spots daily and never see the same people twice. I have also yet to run into another crabber more than once a season when I go.

crabbywaters
Lifetime Member

Ignore
« Reply #14 on: May 04, 2014, 07:01:58 PM »

Not making a statement either way about a solution to the problem at hand, but I disagree that the average family/recreational crabber crabs twice a week during the summer.    I am sure the frequency of crabbing for rec license holders as a whole is far less than twice a week.     
I'm staying out of this one as well. I totally agree with your statement though. I'd say more like twice a month.

I wish i was a crab.

Luna Sea 3

Ignore
« Reply #15 on: May 04, 2014, 07:36:23 PM »

i agree.  I was high balling it to summer weekends. 

Luna Sea 5
VHF 68/72
[email protected]
jack1747
Lifetime Member
Global Moderator

Crab'n is a way of life....

« Reply #16 on: May 04, 2014, 07:36:39 PM »

Shut Maryland down, everyone can crab from Jack's Place in Va. Cool
Shut up Gene... Angry  It's taken me years to convince folks that there are no crabs or fish in Va...  Roll Eyes       Wink Grin

"Helping to Moderate the BCA since 2003"
Luna Sea 3

Ignore
« Reply #17 on: May 04, 2014, 07:39:55 PM »

It sure makes a difference when it's YOUR TOES that are getting stepped on........ Grin
The true is nobody knows how many bushels are really caught by the Rec sector...I'm sure DNR will soon have a way to make you guys accountable too...More Control and more Power by DNR coming your way....
my toes aren't being stepped on.  My kids toes will if there is a complete ban. I don't want a ban on the commercial guys either, but the fact is, they consume much more of the crab population then the rec guys.   Therefor, if a ban is needed, and I hope one isn't, the commercial guys should be the first target.  Then if that doesn't work, as a last resort, ban the rec guys.
« Last Edit: May 04, 2014, 07:43:45 PM by Luna Sea 3 » Logged

Luna Sea 5
VHF 68/72
[email protected]
wakerider368

Ignore
« Reply #18 on: May 04, 2014, 08:05:30 PM »

I'm ok with them banning crabbing for a year cause the recs DNR will just say tuff luck to but for us commercial the only way for them to do it is to pay each crabber off of previous years catches because there's to many that do crab to make a living
Diesel

Ignore
« Reply #19 on: May 04, 2014, 08:12:53 PM »

I have a better idea, Md seems to be having more crab population problems than any other state, and what is the one thing that separates Md from other states?   Trotlines, ban trotlines and the problem will be solved. 

Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 8   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to:  

Home