May 22, 2018, 09:52:08 AM

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Total time logged in: 0 minutes.

Home   Help Login Register  

A D V E R T I S E M E N T

Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 ... 8   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: It's time to stop tinkering and just ban crabbing for one year  (Read 30400 times)
Diesel

Ignore
« Reply #20 on: May 04, 2014, 09:16:45 PM »

They are going to have to implement a catch-share (quota) system for commercial fishermen, nothing else will work.

catch shares are a joke, one of the worst fishing management tools ever thought of, the only one left will be wholesalers that will buy up all the quota, so everyone will have to work for them.  if there is a million pound quota (just a number i picked at random) it doesn't matter if it's divided up among 2000 people, or of there is 10 companies that own the company, it's still a million pounds.  You are in NJ prime place to look at the surf clam fishery, who owns the entire thing?
ChrisS

Ignore
« Reply #21 on: May 04, 2014, 09:20:42 PM »

my toes aren't being stepped on.  My kids toes will if there is a complete ban. I don't want a ban on the commercial guys either, but the fact is, they consume much more of the crab population then the rec guys.   Therefor, if a ban is needed, and I hope one isn't, the commercial guys should be the first target.  Then if that doesn't work, as a last resort, ban the rec guys.

I'm sorry about your kids, but you can't prove any of that. If your only out as little as you say, then you have no idea just how many recreational crabbers are out there. Your just guessing.

in·teg·ri·ty   
–noun 1. adherence to moral and ethical principles; soundness of moral character; honesty
ChrisS

Ignore
« Reply #22 on: May 04, 2014, 09:23:40 PM »

Recreational crabber should have to call in their catch, not unlike the big game harvest the DNR uses for turkey and deer.

At the end of the day, you call in your catch and get confirmation number.

in·teg·ri·ty   
–noun 1. adherence to moral and ethical principles; soundness of moral character; honesty
GA

Ignore
« Reply #23 on: May 04, 2014, 09:28:17 PM »

catch shares are a joke, one of the worst fishing management tools ever thought of, the only one left will be wholesalers that will buy up all the quota, so everyone will have to work for them.  if there is a million pound quota (just a number i picked at random) it doesn't matter if it's divided up among 2000 people, or of there is 10 companies that own the company, it's still a million pounds.  You are in NJ prime place to look at the surf clam fishery, who owns the entire thing?
Wholesalers can only buy up the quota if commercial fishermen sell their quota of their own free will to them. How come commercial fishermen keep choosing to sell their quotas to them? Could it be the price? It seems like wholesalers are better able to manage a fishing business, just like corporations are better able to manage most businesses than small business owners. I could careless if there are 10 companies in the end so long as the fishery is maintained and not depleted.

crabbinmofo

Ignore
« Reply #24 on: May 04, 2014, 09:32:51 PM »

I have a better idea, Md seems to be having more crab population problems than any other state, and what is the one thing that separates Md from other states?   Trotlines, ban trotlines and the problem will be solved. 

Trotlines have been in use for many years before the relatively recent crab population problems.  I think the difference is auto-dippers.  Few crabs escape them and who knows how many under-sized crabs are injured and die after being thrown back.

One other thing Maryland has is a recreational ban on keeping females.  Looks like they targeted the right audience with that one now doesn't it?

Of the 2 things for which you can wake me in the middle of the night, crabs is one of them.

GA

Ignore
« Reply #25 on: May 04, 2014, 09:38:19 PM »

Recreational crabber should have to call in their catch, not unlike the big game harvest the DNR uses for turkey and deer.

At the end of the day, you call in your catch and get confirmation number.
There is no way to enforce that. You can get a good idea how many times a season they go and how much recreational crabbers catch by polling boat rental businesses. You would likely be surprised that most recreational crabbers do not catch anywhere near as much as an average member here and go much less frequently. I talked to one owner and he said the average was about a dozen or so and most people only show up once a season. I have personally never seen anyone crabbing from land with more than a half bushel for many reasons such as a lack of number of traps and not knowing what they are doing. Most people don't have the patience either to be out there for more than an hour or so.

ChrisS

Ignore
« Reply #26 on: May 04, 2014, 09:41:44 PM »

You couldn't be more wrong, I'm sorry.

Least in md.

in·teg·ri·ty   
GA

Ignore
« Reply #27 on: May 04, 2014, 09:42:01 PM »

One other thing Maryland has is a recreational ban on keeping females.  Looks like they targeted the right audience with that one now doesn't it?
Banning females in general is a good idea, since IMO even the mature ones are rarely worth the effort to clean.
« Last Edit: May 04, 2014, 09:57:20 PM by GA » Logged

ChrisS

Ignore
« Reply #28 on: May 04, 2014, 09:44:13 PM »

Banning females in general is a good idea as even the mature ones are rarely worth the effort to clean.

Again, you couldn't be more wrong.

Females, IMO, are fantastic.

in·teg·ri·ty   
GA

Ignore
« Reply #29 on: May 04, 2014, 09:46:26 PM »

You couldn't be more wrong, I'm sorry.

Least in md.
I have found that hard core crabbers generally know or are friends with other hard cord crabbers which are not the majority of recreational crabbers out there. I don't have this problem as I am not friends with anybody like this so I get to just observe what I see people actually doing throughout the season. This makes me incredibly skeptical and until I see actual data will not be convinced otherwise.

redhanded

Ignore
« Reply #30 on: May 04, 2014, 09:47:04 PM »

If you want to start banning things one month into a season with a slow start, It should be looked into banning out of state users. No use having out of staters come down to help us deplete a resource, wehave no trouble fing up ourselves.
Fix the water quality and the bay grass, cut back the number of rock in the bay, and the crabs and all the other creators in the bay will be just fine. but those measures cost way more money and effort then just putting more regulations in place.
GA

Ignore
« Reply #31 on: May 04, 2014, 09:48:22 PM »

Again, you couldn't be more wrong.

Females, IMO, are fantastic.
Saying I am wrong because you like female crabs does not make banning them a bad idea for fishery management.

ChrisS

Ignore
« Reply #32 on: May 04, 2014, 09:49:00 PM »

That's usually the case, regarding any hobby.

in·teg·ri·ty   
ChrisS

Ignore
« Reply #33 on: May 04, 2014, 09:50:52 PM »

Saying I am wrong because you like female crabs does not make banning them a bad idea for fishery management.

I didn't say " banning them for fishery management" was a bad idea, I said you could be more wrong regarding the female crabs worth.

I'll be happy to go back and correct my statement if you can show prove where that is indeed what I said.

in·teg·ri·ty   
GA

Ignore
« Reply #34 on: May 04, 2014, 09:52:02 PM »

If you want to start banning things one month into a season with a slow start, It should be looked into banning out of state users. No use having out of staters come down to help us deplete a resource, wehave no trouble fing up ourselves.
This is an easy fix, adjust the out of state license and fee based on the annual survey and increase it dramatically when the survey is bad. That way you are not shunning tourists but being realistic about the state of the fishery. IMO the in-state license fee should go up too but still be half of the out of state rate.
« Last Edit: May 04, 2014, 09:55:04 PM by GA » Logged

GA

Ignore
« Reply #35 on: May 04, 2014, 09:54:43 PM »

I didn't say " banning them for fishery management" was a bad idea, I said you could be more wrong regarding the female crabs worth.
The context was my opinion.

ChrisS

Ignore
« Reply #36 on: May 04, 2014, 09:55:31 PM »

It was probably my fault, regarding how I typed.

I'm sorry if I misled you.

in·teg·ri·ty   
GA

Ignore
« Reply #37 on: May 04, 2014, 09:56:44 PM »

After reading it again, I could see how it could be taken that way. I will edit it.

wakerider368

Ignore
« Reply #38 on: May 04, 2014, 10:06:23 PM »

the big issue is everyone wants to blame the commercials because of quantity but for me personally when DNR comes out they wave and come by and talk but never check my boat because they know from previous years that everything I do is legal and that yes I use a dipper but the juvies go back in water before I start my next line because the only person id be hurting is myself and my other commercial buddies. but in my personal experiences I've seen more recs go back to the dock with basically everything they caught over 4 inches and even though some know what there doing is wrong a lot just weren't educated enough to know what there doing is wrong 
Luna Sea 3

Ignore
« Reply #39 on: May 04, 2014, 10:16:04 PM »

I'm sorry about your kids, but you can't prove any of that. If your only out as little as you say, then you have no idea just how many recreational crabbers are out there. Your just guessing.

im not the average rec guy.  I crab at least 5 times per week.  I know exactly what is going on around my area.  Truth be told, most crabbers are renting skiffs and crabbing with their famies. I rarely see more then 12 boats out at a time. 

There is no way in [Sam Hill] that your can compare a commercial crabber with a rec guy.  I've watched commercial rec guys come back with 50 or more bushels per lift.  Each lift might be a 2 day soak, I'm not sure.  I'd be lucky to get 3 bushels per week and I'm out much more then the average guy. 

Comparing a commercial guy to a rec guy is like comparing a high school baseball team to the MLB. 

Luna Sea 5
VHF 68/72
[email protected]

Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 ... 8   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to:  

Home