October 15, 2019, 09:35:49 AM

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Total time logged in: 0 minutes.

Home   Help Login Register  

A D V E R T I S E M E N T

Pages: 1 ... 6 7 [8] 9   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Stop keeping females  (Read 38468 times)
redhanded

Ignore
« Reply #140 on: July 14, 2014, 11:10:42 PM »

Catch a rock, Kill a Ray, fix the water in the Bay, more crabs the next day
ralphrepo

Ignore
« Reply #141 on: July 15, 2014, 04:59:45 AM »

Here it goes again...the WATERMEN need to keep females to stay alive. As I have said earlier, how many are actual all week crabbers and how many are guys getting a license and crabbing weekends for extra money. If people would have a serious conversation about the issue instead of just looking out for themselves maybe we could do something. Think of our grand kids not just yourself. If I had to take off next year it would suck....but I would do it to say the resource.

What surprises me about extinction is the commercial milieu surrounding it, and how businesses who depend on it lament that they would not be able to survive if 'crushing' or severe restrictions are placed on them. To them, I say, Passenger Pigeon. What would happen to the watermen if Blue Crabs no longer existed? Well, like those before them, they'll find something else to do if nature takes the politics out of their hands.

Oh, for those that didn't 'get' the reference; Passenger Pigeons used to amount to one quarter of all birds in north America, when commercialization of pigeon meat, along with habitat destruction led to their eventual extinction exactly one hundred years ago. The last one died in captivity in 1914. IMHO, something worth thinking about.
lucecreek crabber

Ignore
« Reply #142 on: July 15, 2014, 06:14:30 AM »

Good call Ralph. I think that hits the nail on the head. As far as where I'm from pounder, I was born in MD and lived and crabbed there longer than you've been alive, although that has nothing to do with the issue. Crabs belong to everyone, not just the people who make money directly from them. They need to be managed. Ralph nailed it. what are they going to do for money when they are gone? No one likes having this done, but since everyone does such a great job of regulating it themselves, someone has to step in. As far as VA goes, they need to be regulated to.
Ron
Lifetime Member
Global Moderator

RonMeischker https://www.linkedin.com/profile/view?id=220842455&trk=nav_respon RMeischker
« Reply #143 on: July 15, 2014, 07:17:18 AM »

Catch a rock, Kill a Ray, fix the water in the Bay, more crabs the next day

Agreed.

Oh, for those that didn't 'get' the reference; Passenger Pigeons used to amount to one quarter of all birds in north America, when commercialization of pigeon meat, along with habitat destruction led to their eventual extinction exactly one hundred years ago. The last one died in captivity in 1914. IMHO, something worth thinking about.

Likening the current state of the crab population to carrier pigeons is a far reaching comparison, in my opinion.    Conservation efforts by many states, limitations, etc. are in place and historically there have been peaks and valleys in the crab count data over he years.     
« Last Edit: July 15, 2014, 07:18:49 AM by Ron » Logged

Blue Crab Advisor to the NJ Marine Fisheries Council

11th Annual Assault on Patcong Creek Crabbing Tournament & BBQ
America's Largest Crabbing Tournament
June 26 & 27th, 2020
Somers Point, NJ

http://www.assaultonpatcongcreek.com

To Register:
http://assaultonpatcongcreek.com/the-crabbing-tournament/tournament-registration/

Check out the tournament's page on Facebook!
https://www.facebook.com/assaultonpatcongcreek
attml

Ignore
« Reply #144 on: July 15, 2014, 09:54:55 AM »

You guys are right!  The crabbing has been so good why would we want to do anything to make more crabs?  To quote Agent Smith from the movie the Matrix: Me, me, me, me, me, me, me!!!!!!!  Brilliant game plan!!  If you guys want to see how good the Rockfish is right now go over to Tidalfish and take a look at threads like these  http://www.tidalfish.com/forums/showthread.php/399578-What-s-wrong-with-bay   sometime!!  They are definitely knocking them dead!!!!

Maybe it's not the rockfish, maybe it's the perch - let's kill more of those.  Maybe it's not the Perch, maybe it's the croaker -lets kill more of those!  Maybe it's not the Croaker maybe it's the sea trout - let's kill more of those!  Maybe it's not the Sea trout maybe it's the Spot fish - let's kill more of those!  Maybe it's not the Spot fish maybe it's the flounder - let's kill more of those!

Or - we could just give the species in question an opportunity to make more babies.  Wait - that sounds too easy!   When Commercial crabbers are running a 3000 foot trotline and pulling in 1-2 crabs per run restricting the females isn't going to put them out of business - shear lack of numbers will!!!!!  They may have to suck it up for a couple of years to bring their industry back in line!!!  Plain and simple!!!

« Last Edit: July 15, 2014, 10:05:12 AM by attml » Logged

Mr. Ray III
Lifetime Member

Ignore
« Reply #145 on: July 15, 2014, 12:00:57 PM »

Over 50,000 recreational crabbers.  5,000 watermen. 

Shut the watermen down to save the crab population?  Some of you are real bright.....

Good call Ralph. I think that hits the nail on the head. As far as where I'm from pounder, I was born in MD and lived and crabbed there longer than you've been alive, although that has nothing to do with the issue. Crabs belong to everyone, not just the people who make money directly from them. They need to be managed. Ralph nailed it. what are they going to do for money when they are gone? No one likes having this done, but since everyone does such a great job of regulating it themselves, someone has to step in. As far as VA goes, they need to be regulated to.
Thats probably the problem.  Wanna make a difference?  Start with YOU.  Quit crabbing. 

Watermen and Seafood, Can't Have One Without The Other
lucecreek crabber

Ignore
« Reply #146 on: July 15, 2014, 01:04:13 PM »

Wanna make a difference.....start thinking long term of something more important than yourself. for real, the crabs belong to everyone equally, and everyone sooner or later is going to feel the pinch. even people like YOU Wink
flounderpounder
Lifetime Member

Ignore
« Reply #147 on: July 15, 2014, 02:05:01 PM »

Shut the watermen down to save the crab population?  Some of you are real bright.....

Thats probably the problem.  Wanna make a difference?  Start with YOU.  Quit crabbing. 

How many rec licenses were used for 1 day? How many comms crab everyday? You dont know the answer to either so those numbers really dont mean anything. :/

" I CAN SKIN A BUCK, I CAN RUN A TROT LINE A PA BOY CAN SURVIVE" 

"YOU CAN LOVE ME OR HATE ME, BUT WHEN YOU HATE ME, YOU LOVE TO HATE ME "Wink
flounderpounder
Lifetime Member

Ignore
« Reply #148 on: July 15, 2014, 02:05:51 PM »

You guys are right!  The crabbing has been so good why would we want to do anything to make more crabs?  To quote Agent Smith from the movie the Matrix: Me, me, me, me, me, me, me!!!!!!!  Brilliant game plan!!  If you guys want to see how good the Rockfish is right now go over to Tidalfish and take a look at threads like these  http://www.tidalfish.com/forums/showthread.php/399578-What-s-wrong-with-bay   sometime!!  They are definitely knocking them dead!!!!

Maybe it's not the rockfish, maybe it's the perch - let's kill more of those.  Maybe it's not the Perch, maybe it's the croaker -lets kill more of those!  Maybe it's not the Croaker maybe it's the sea trout - let's kill more of those!  Maybe it's not the Sea trout maybe it's the Spot fish - let's kill more of those!  Maybe it's not the Spot fish maybe it's the flounder - let's kill more of those!

Or - we could just give the species in question an opportunity to make more babies.  Wait - that sounds too easy!   When Commercial crabbers are running a 3000 foot trotline and pulling in 1-2 crabs per run restricting the females isn't going to put them out of business - shear lack of numbers will!!!!!  They may have to suck it up for a couple of years to bring their industry back in line!!!  Plain and simple!!!

Go back to TF and hug a tree Smiley

jack1747
Lifetime Member
Global Moderator

Crab'n is a way of life....

« Reply #149 on: July 15, 2014, 05:15:44 PM »

over 100000 rec licenses sold in 2012 in md. No idea how many recs crab in va.

"Helping to Moderate the BCA since 2003" "I've gotten to the point in my life where I no longer give a [shiz] what people think, I'm not going to take any [shiz], because, frankly my dears, I am NOT in the [shiz] business." Quote from Suzy. :-)

Mr. Ray III
Lifetime Member

Ignore
« Reply #150 on: July 15, 2014, 05:18:00 PM »

Wanna make a difference.....start thinking long term of something more important than yourself. for real, the crabs belong to everyone equally, and everyone sooner or later is going to feel the pinch. even people like YOU Wink

Wow, you're a textbook example of a hypocrite.  "Crabs belong to everyone equally"  Your initial post was that watermen should stop keeping females.  Roll Eyes

Mr. Ray III
Lifetime Member

Ignore
« Reply #151 on: July 15, 2014, 05:24:05 PM »

I THOUGHT that was the number.  Wasn't sure so I didn't say it.  I heard 50 a few years ago.

Crabpot Man
Lifetime Member

I Love Crabs!

Ignore
« Reply #152 on: July 15, 2014, 05:51:06 PM »

I thought the Governor claimed they had saved the Blue Crab? What happened?
captaincrab55
Lifetime Member

Ignore
« Reply #153 on: July 15, 2014, 07:06:12 PM »

I thought the Governor claimed they had saved the Blue Crab? What happened?
    That claim was made so DNR could raise the FEEs on Commercial Crab Licenses.

Supporter and Lifetime Member
2B1ask1

TRUST ME !!!!
flounderpounder
Lifetime Member

Ignore
« Reply #154 on: July 15, 2014, 07:23:41 PM »

We living in the past now? Lol

2012= year of the junk crabs.

lucecreek crabber

Ignore
« Reply #155 on: July 15, 2014, 07:59:41 PM »

Mr Ray.. I think your hair weave is too tight.  Grin. Commercials keeping females does make it unequal. It's been an evil that the resource could take. Not so much today.
genecrabman

OBX CRABS @ HALF-FAST SEAFOOD 252 202 6469

Ignore
« Reply #156 on: July 15, 2014, 08:09:06 PM »

Mr Ray.. I think your hair weave is too tight.  Grin. Commercials keeping females does make it unequal. It's been an evil that the resource could take. Not so much today.

Remember when Va. banned Crab Dredging? That was going to save the crab population........Cutting Pot limits in Va, was going to save the crabs...Cutting catch limits didn't help either..........How many more CUTS will it take to save the Crabs........MORITORUMIN TIME I GUESS.......... Lips Sealed
big red

Ignore
« Reply #157 on: July 15, 2014, 09:34:08 PM »

wow it is amazing how many people who know so little about crabs have all the answers, oh yeah they read a report from a state funded biologist or special interest group like edf.  or maybe they read an article in the balt sun, so it has to be true!

always blaming waterman, but the fact is there are less waterman now than 20 years ago, who knows how many new laws haved been passed since then. so if you have less commercial effort and more stringent laws how can you blame waterman

the only increase I have seen in the past 20 years is the amount of rockfish and yahoos with rec lic but they cant be blamed because they have nothing to lose

and one more thing there is no shortage of crabs in the lower bay, lots of crabs from peeler size  to #1's crabs

the upper bay is just about gone no oysters no crabs and to much pollution its not going to get better no matter how many laws are passed
ralphrepo

Ignore
« Reply #158 on: July 16, 2014, 04:20:42 AM »

Agreed.

Likening the current state of the crab population to carrier pigeons is a far reaching comparison, in my opinion.    Conservation efforts by many states, limitations, etc. are in place and historically there have been peaks and valleys in the crab count data over he years.    

Agreed, I wasn't trying to draw a specific scientific reference between Passenger Pigeons and Blue Crabs, but rather using it to illustrate the hubris of man and our impact on what was once a majestic and widely ranged species. But, as it seems with most things that conservation efforts apply to, it is too often too little too late. The Atlantic Sturgeon being one of those that remain seriously impacted despite our best efforts.

But, imagine one day, it coming to something like this for Blue Crabs: http://www.takepart.com/article/2013/02/02/illegal-whale-meat-sold-restaurants-brings-long-awaited-indictments

Let's hope it never has to happen.

« Last Edit: July 16, 2014, 04:25:31 AM by ralphrepo » Logged
Ron
Lifetime Member
Global Moderator

RonMeischker https://www.linkedin.com/profile/view?id=220842455&trk=nav_respon RMeischker
« Reply #159 on: July 16, 2014, 08:44:11 AM »

But, imagine one day, it coming to something like this for Blue Crabs: http://www.takepart.com/article/2013/02/02/illegal-whale-meat-sold-restaurants-brings-long-awaited-indictments

Let's hope it never has to happen.

You are over-reaching again.

Blue Crab Advisor to the NJ Marine Fisheries Council

11th Annual Assault on Patcong Creek Crabbing Tournament & BBQ
America's Largest Crabbing Tournament
June 26 & 27th, 2020
Somers Point, NJ

http://www.assaultonpatcongcreek.com

To Register:
http://assaultonpatcongcreek.com/the-crabbing-tournament/tournament-registration/

Check out the tournament's page on Facebook!
https://www.facebook.com/assaultonpatcongcreek

Pages: 1 ... 6 7 [8] 9   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to:  

Home