November 14, 2019, 01:29:26 PM

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Total time logged in: 0 minutes.

Home   Help Login Register  

A D V E R T I S E M E N T

Pages: 1 ... 7 8 [9]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Stop keeping females  (Read 38624 times)
ACFISHERIES

Ignore
« Reply #160 on: July 16, 2014, 08:30:17 AM »

Porpoise loin sauteed in butter is good stuff..

so I hear Grin

Good dogs, Rotgut whiskey, All the BS you can stand
flounderpounder
Lifetime Member

Ignore
« Reply #161 on: July 16, 2014, 08:59:56 AM »

Porpoise loin sauteed in butter is good stuff..

so I hear Grin

Im sure it is.. I have plenty of postcards from Fl in the 1900's with " flipper" hanging from a fish scale. I just wanna know how the reeled the suckers in. Lol

" I CAN SKIN A BUCK, I CAN RUN A TROT LINE A PA BOY CAN SURVIVE" 

"YOU CAN LOVE ME OR HATE ME, BUT WHEN YOU HATE ME, YOU LOVE TO HATE ME "Wink
lucecreek crabber

Ignore
« Reply #162 on: July 16, 2014, 10:42:24 AM »

The blow hole meat is the most tender..mmmmm
attml

Ignore
« Reply #163 on: July 16, 2014, 01:46:46 PM »

I just want to say before we go any further that I am not here to bash anyone -AT ALL.  We are all crabbers and I am pretty sure we all want the same thing - more crabs.  

The point that I am trying to make is that the reason there are less watermen today is because there are less crabs to go around to make a living with.  The amount sustainable commercial crabbers on the bay is in direct correlation with the level of harvests available to the watermen who can make their living on the bay.  It is like an upside down pyramid.   Before the pressure of over harvesting and an ever increasing population with access to the water we had a huge crab population.  The comms will tell you about the old days where they were bringing home 10-15 bushels per day. As the number of available crabs drops so will the amount of people who will be able to effectively make a living on the bay.  Saying there are less comms on the bay so it can't be their fault doesn't take this into account.  I will repeat what I said before.  If you take away all the Moms in the neighborhood eventually you won't have any kids running around and the population of the community will begin to drop over time.  This is exactly what is happening in the bay!  Also - there are just more people in the world that like crabs - in order to keep up with supply an demand we need to find ways to boos the population - everyone releasing females will help accomplish this!

I know someone said earlier that I was being a tree hugger - that couldn't be further from the truth but I do like crabs and I want to be to catch them and ensure that my grandkids can go crabbing down the road!!

« Last Edit: July 16, 2014, 01:51:16 PM by attml » Logged
genecrabman

OBX CRABS @ HALF-FAST SEAFOOD 252 202 6469

Ignore
« Reply #164 on: July 16, 2014, 02:22:05 PM »

Do you have any idea how accurate that graph is?

big red

Ignore
« Reply #165 on: July 16, 2014, 02:48:03 PM »

do you have any proof that if you stop saving female that the population will increase, or do you just like the way it sounds.

as I recall Maryland stopped the harvest of sooks during the summer months a few years ago  hmmm well that didn't work. and Virginia has  banned winter crab dredging, how many thousands of sooks  are left to spawn Huh??           each sook supposedly lays millions of eggs .   so where they at where are the trillions of baby crabs?Huh?? the waterman aren't catching them

the fact is you don't want to admit that the majority of the small crabs are being devoured by fish.

you would rather take the side of a fish than support your neighbor and his family..  just think about that
genecrabman

OBX CRABS @ HALF-FAST SEAFOOD 252 202 6469

Ignore
« Reply #166 on: July 16, 2014, 03:17:03 PM »

do you have any proof that if you stop saving female that the population will increase, or do you just like the way it sounds.

as I recall Maryland stopped the harvest of sooks during the summer months a few years ago  hmmm well that didn't work. and Virginia has  banned winter crab dredging, how many thousands of sooks  are left to spawn Huh??           each sook supposedly lays millions of eggs .   so where they at where are the trillions of baby crabs?Huh?? the waterman aren't catching them

the fact is you don't want to admit that the majority of the small crabs are being devoured by fish.

you would rather take the side of a fish than support your neighbor and his family..  just think about that

saltysenior

ex-wye rat---who now C B C

Ignore
« Reply #167 on: July 16, 2014, 03:19:49 PM »

when I was up in Md. in the '90s, all fingers pointed to the farmers and the water coming from Pa.  With this last visit to the bay, I find more concern about local "home grown'' pollution ....Being from northern N.J. I observed crabs living filthy waters ,so I think water quality itself is not a major problem to the adult crab..However as the eggs hatch and the crabs begin their growth process could there be something missing in the food chain, something that is effected by the pesticides and herbicides used on land that drains into the bay....and i don't mean farmland....                                                                                                                                 other states that allow female crabs to be taken still maintain a good population
« Last Edit: July 17, 2014, 01:33:57 PM by saltysenior » Logged
ChrisS

Ignore
« Reply #168 on: July 16, 2014, 04:30:06 PM »

I believe there are less commercial watermen, the season aside, because the cost of crabbing is way more than it was back then. Not the lack of crabs.

There was a steel mill on every corner, trap metal was cheap and more often free. Just make it.

Fuel was basically free.

Now, a [dang] Jon boat cost 16,000.

in·teg·ri·ty   
–noun 1. adherence to moral and ethical principles; soundness of moral character; honesty
rdbeard
Lifetime Member

Ignore
« Reply #169 on: July 17, 2014, 07:27:11 AM »

ATTML are you a member of tidalfish ?

ralphrepo

Ignore
« Reply #170 on: July 19, 2014, 04:11:29 AM »

You are over-reaching again.

LOL... I hope so.