February 20, 2018, 10:21:51 AM

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Total time logged in: 0 minutes.

Home   Help Login Register  

A D V E R T I S E M E N T

Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Holiday crabs  (Read 23370 times)
rdbeard

Ignore
« on: May 22, 2014, 06:51:06 AM »

I'm going to buy crabs this weekend and i want to support md crabbers sooooo, i will use Md crabs delivered that has an add on this board.#1s are 75 dozor 2 doz for 145  and i will order 2 doz today for sun. delivery to severna park at 9 am.I will report on how the crabs were after the weekend. Has anyone used this company in the past?
captaincrab55
Lifetime Member

Ignore
« Reply #1 on: May 22, 2014, 07:03:13 AM »

I'm going to buy crabs this weekend and i want to support md crabbers sooooo, i will use Md crabs delivered that has an add on this board.#1s are 75 dozor 2 doz for 145  and i will order 2 doz today for sun. delivery to severna park at 9 am.I will report on how the crabs were after the weekend. Has anyone used this company in the past?
 rb,    Glen works hard to deliver a great product from the lower shore.    
« Last Edit: May 22, 2014, 07:19:01 AM by captaincrab55 » Logged

Supporter and Lifetime Member
2B1ask1

TRUST ME !!!!
rdbeard

Ignore
« Reply #2 on: May 22, 2014, 10:04:19 AM »

Ok thx Captain. I'm alittle worried already because when i ask what size their# 1s are she said 5 1/2 and up.What i'm worried about is they sell jumbos also  and i don't know where they start as far as size goes, so i could be paying75 doz for crabs from 5 1/2 to 5 3/'4 and thats not a good grade for #1s IMO.
captaincrab55
Lifetime Member

Ignore
« Reply #3 on: May 22, 2014, 10:12:44 AM »

Ok thx Captain. I'm alittle worried already because when i ask what size their# 1s are she said 5 1/2 and up.What i'm worried about is they sell jumbos also  and i don't know where they start as far as size goes, so i could be paying75 doz for crabs from 5 1/2 to 5 3/'4 and thats not a good grade for #1s IMO.
rb,   call me    
« Last Edit: May 22, 2014, 01:00:10 PM by captaincrab55 » Logged

2B1ask1

TRUST ME !!!!
Big Rad

Chase Happiness because life is short

Ignore
« Reply #4 on: May 22, 2014, 10:14:31 AM »

Captain needs to clear his in box.............. Roll Eyes

I hear the sound of one hand clapping....you don't??

captaincrab55
Lifetime Member

Ignore
« Reply #5 on: May 22, 2014, 10:21:56 AM »

Captain needs to clear his in box.............. Roll Eyes
   The Captain doesn't want PMs!!      If you know me, send an email!!     Grin Grin Grin

2B1ask1

TRUST ME !!!!
rdbeard

Ignore
« Reply #6 on: May 27, 2014, 07:42:04 AM »

So a breif repot on crabs i bought from Md Crabs Delivered this past holiday weekend.I ordered 2 doz. #1s on thurs to pick up at one of their stops in severa park on sunday. # 1s were 75 doz or 2 doz for 145 so they arrived right on time and the price was actually lowered due to abundance i guess, they had 73 bus. on the truck.So i paid 100 for 2 doz and so i bought an xtra 1/2 doz. I went home and chilled then steamed with old bay and jo.The crabs were all between 5 1/2 and 6 1/2 in and all heavy, most were on the larger side with just a few at 5 1/2 in. I do think these were coastal crabs but may have been lower bay crabs judging by taste.All in all they were great crabs including price since it was a holiday and the slow start to the crabbing season. Thx to Glen and his family.PS this was the first time i bought crabs on memorial day and the first time from Md crabs delivered although i had sold to them before.
flounderpounder
Lifetime Member

Ignore
« Reply #7 on: May 27, 2014, 04:06:05 PM »

I know he was charging $295 a bushel for 1's and $155 a bushel for culls. Culls dropped to $95 monday afternoon. He shouldnt have been so greedy all weekend and he could have moved them all. Glad you got good crabs.

" I CAN SKIN A BUCK, I CAN RUN A TROT LINE A PA BOY CAN SURVIVE" 

"YOU CAN LOVE ME OR HATE ME, BUT WHEN YOU HATE ME, YOU LOVE TO HATE ME "Wink
Skippers Seafood

is what it is

Ignore
« Reply #8 on: May 29, 2014, 11:09:01 AM »

I sold #1 bu. $145 5 1/2"++     6"+ $30 a doz. Fri,Sat,Sun and Mon. Steamed n spiced Old Bay +$2 doz. Met some good folks from Maryland and many returning customers brought their boats for a Day on The Bay. Gloucester Point park offers a free pier, no license required, launch facilities able to accommodate 4 trailers at a time, nice beach, picnic shelters as well as a great view of Historic Yorktown, Va. We rent 17' Carolina Skiffs, sell bait and tackle for salt and freshwater fishing as well as crabbing gear. Crabs,Oysters,Shrimp,Scallops,Clams and Fish. Really good campsites close by also.

All you need is LOVE da da da da da da Love is all you need
rdbeard

Ignore
« Reply #9 on: May 29, 2014, 12:26:49 PM »

Skip, are your crabs caught bay side or sea side? just curious. Good price on the crabs but i wouldn't go 145 and another 60 in fuel to drive there for crabs 5 1/2 to just under 6 in. Just sayin.

Skippers Seafood

is what it is

Ignore
« Reply #10 on: May 29, 2014, 05:43:16 PM »

RB the 5 1/2" is the starting point, the + indicates 6" the ++ = 5 1/2" to 6 1/2" Just sayn. Many a Marylander has taken a day off work, driven the 300mi. round trip and said they were the best Crabs they had in years and IF you could get them at home they would be $80 or $90dz. Local Crabs here means wet baskets off the boat. York R. Mobjack Bay, Browns Bay, Milford Haven, James R. just to name a few. Check Hampton Roads on the map for an idea where the Reefer truck started his run.
« Last Edit: May 29, 2014, 05:46:40 PM by Skippers Seafood » Logged

ChrisS

Ignore
« Reply #11 on: May 29, 2014, 06:13:18 PM »

Skipper,
You sell bulk?

in·teg·ri·ty   
–noun 1. adherence to moral and ethical principles; soundness of moral character; honesty
flounderpounder
Lifetime Member

Ignore
« Reply #12 on: May 30, 2014, 08:03:45 AM »

Look like slicks

" I CAN SKIN A BUCK, I CAN RUN A TROT LINE A PA BOY CAN SURVIVE" 

"YOU CAN LOVE ME OR HATE ME, BUT WHEN YOU HATE ME, YOU LOVE TO HATE ME "Wink
Skippers Seafood

is what it is

Ignore
« Reply #13 on: May 30, 2014, 02:49:34 PM »

RB, 5 1/2" ++ is what you bought off the truck, the single + indicates a few 5 1/2", many over 5 3/4" and the second + says a couple doz TRUE #1 BLUE crabs which means 6"plus to me. 5 1/2" and up is the cull for market crabs from the boat. The + is a second cull after cooling.  The second + is the third cold cull for retail market. Better off to weigh the bushells and buy by the lb.       FP- the picture is of cold whites in the steamer basket ready to steam, pick and pack in 1 lb. tubs for shipment.

Dae

Ignore
« Reply #14 on: August 24, 2016, 07:40:26 PM »

I'm late to this thread but I bought a 1/2 bushel of #1s from MD crabs delivered a last summer.  All I can say was that I was extremely disappointed..  They were light and all were about 5 1/2 inches...  Felt like I got ripped off...

BTW, a couple months ago, I was down in Nags Head and picked up a couple dozen #1s from Whalers...  What a ripped off again... The crabs were just like the ones I got from MD crabs delivered last summer...

A couple weeks ago, I was in NJ and picked up a bushel of #2 from a commercial crabber.. I wanted #1s, but he was sold out, so I was just going to leave, when he asked me to take a look at his #2s..  They were all about 5 1/2 inches, but really heavy... Bellies were all dark..  Picked up the #2s from him for $75, in the basket...  Brought them home and everyone says "Wow, these #2s are way better than the #1s from Whalers in Nags Head."

I'm tired of getting ripped off by crab sellers that deal with the general public (that has no idea what a #1 crab should be)... Because they deal with people that don't know... they rip people off.  Who ever came up with the S/M/L/XL/Jumbo sizing should be caned!   As A kid, I remembers there being only #1s and #2s...  Hale's crabs, in Parkville, was the place to go.... at least around where I grew up...

saxon4646

Ignore
« Reply #15 on: September 02, 2016, 12:52:05 PM »

If your ever back in Nags Head again and want crabs-= contact Gene the crab man before you go and let him know what you want- you will not be disappointed.
Seanile
Lifetime Member
Global Moderator

WHEN THE CHICKEN NECK DROPS, THE BS STOPS

« Reply #16 on: September 02, 2016, 04:25:58 PM »

2 year old thread ... locked it.

~ Bruce ~

If a man speaks at sea, where no woman can hear, is he still wrong?

Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to:  

Home