November 13, 2018, 04:09:26 PM

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Total time logged in: 0 minutes.

Home   Help Login Register  

A D V E R T I S E M E N T

Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Indiain River  (Read 13348 times)
crabnbob

Ignore
« on: January 19, 2006, 01:41:10 PM »

Afternoon, i'm a relatively new menber. Joined in oct of last year, this my second post. Just like to spark up some conversation with some folks that crab the I/R area or the the little assawoman bay area. I use the Holts landing ramp for the I/R or the ramp at Camp Barnes for the little assawoman bay area. I usually crab by myself, and use the crab trap, appox 25 to 40 at a time. I' actually looking for some replacement traps this season, but having difficulty finding the one's i want. I like the small  square one;s that are about 10x10 x6 and galvinized. If anyone knows where i could get a price an location on the i would appreicate it.

thanks bob
tattoo
Lifetime Member

MY BOAT CRAB TRAP

Ignore
« Reply #1 on: January 19, 2006, 04:28:17 PM »

You might try building your own. might be cheeper.

A CRAB A DAY KEEPS THE DOCTOR AWAY.   

Click Here To Mount Your Crab
JBCrabber

Ignore
« Reply #2 on: January 20, 2006, 04:53:57 AM »

crabnbob, Like tattoo said you can build your own, it's very easy.
Indian River is where I start each year before the Chesapeake Bay heats up.. I also used Holts but in the last couple of years they started locking the gates to the park until 8:00 or so. I want to get out about 6:00 so decided to find another ramp. I used Indian River ramp but the distance to Deans Hole can get ugly if caught up during bad weather. I now use a ramp around Oak Orchard.
crabnbob

Ignore
« Reply #3 on: January 20, 2006, 06:42:30 AM »

thanks, tatoo and jb. I found that site when the gentleman makes his own,i'll weight the cost of building them. I think he states it costs him about $4.21 per unit, I think I can purchase them for around $ 5.00 or 5.50 at roses down here in the fenwick area.

I like the easy access for me at camp barnes ( new ramp and bulk head ) but the water is so oxgyen depleted, the crabs are lot smaller. Most about 5" and a lot below legal size. The closest salt water tide exchange is the o.c inlet which is about 8 miles away, but then did ok the dregding of the 4 mile canel north of the little assawoman bay to the i/r inlet, around where the VFW is located. When that's finished it will help refresh the lil assawomen. The local officials are talking about putting a new ramp at holt's landing too.

thanks for your help guys. bob
Black Irish

Ignore
« Reply #4 on: January 20, 2006, 07:15:16 AM »

Hey Bob, are you saying they've started dredging the new canal? Last I heard (summer '05), the locals were fighting it and the Army Corps of Engineers had a lot of work to do as far as stabilizing the shoreline thru there. I also heard that Harpoon Hannas was going to close at the end of last season.

stuff

i dont need it but i got to have it

Ignore
« Reply #5 on: January 20, 2006, 08:43:36 AM »

when i'm down there i put in at warwick nice ramp
check with kcrabpots for your trappin needs

will soon be beggin for info for murderkill and bowers
crabnbob

Ignore
« Reply #6 on: January 21, 2006, 02:55:44 AM »

Black Irish, as I understand it as of nov this year the dredging was on again; some locals and the serria club have been fighting it. They have had approval numerous times an then resended, this has been going on for over 15 yr's. Their suppose to start around march of this year. No I haven't hear anything about Harpoon Hanna.s but that did happen to the bay cafe and whiskey joes/ located about a mile west of h/h;s on rt 54. There building million townhomes, just what's needed down here. More development ( bad news ).

Zig Rig,,,,, where is warwick locate at ? Not to familiar with everything down here yet. Moved hear about five years ago/  thanks for your help guys
bob
Muslickz

Ignore
« Reply #7 on: January 21, 2006, 10:47:43 AM »

I just purchased 10 Topless traps from Kcrabtraps And all I can say is BRAVO!

Try him, you'll like it.. goos prices, good shipping.. all in all good guy..

-Mus

“Every normal man must be tempted, at times, to spit on his hands, hoist the black flag, and begin slitting throats.”
― H.L. Mencken
SHELLFISH
Lifetime Member

Formerly Bogman102

Ignore
« Reply #8 on: January 21, 2006, 11:41:30 AM »

Kevin is the best!  He can also help out with buoys, replacement bait springs etc.
 Wink thumbsup thumbsup

Ditto. One stop shopping; I wouldn't go anywhere else! Smiley

Retired in paradise!
crabnbob

Ignore
« Reply #9 on: January 22, 2006, 05:58:24 AM »

Thanks guy's ....how do I get in contact with " kcrabtrap " .....it's sounds like he's the person to see.   bob

tattoo
Lifetime Member

MY BOAT CRAB TRAP

Ignore
« Reply #10 on: January 22, 2006, 08:38:52 AM »

Thanks for the info S.T.

A CRAB A DAY KEEPS THE DOCTOR AWAY.   

Click Here To Mount Your Crab
crabnbob

Ignore
« Reply #11 on: January 22, 2006, 09:24:07 AM »

Thanks s.t.
Muslickz

Ignore
« Reply #12 on: January 22, 2006, 03:52:06 PM »

Just got a 10 Pack of traps I ordered. They came yesterday from Kcrabtraps, I am very happy! Goin out tommorow.. got the crab jones...

-Mus

“Every normal man must be tempted, at times, to spit on his hands, hoist the black flag, and begin slitting throats.”
― H.L. Mencken
stuff

Ignore
« Reply #13 on: January 23, 2006, 08:10:02 AM »

warwick is about 2 miles east off rt 24  from mountain aire chicken plant and i think it is the first ramp on the bay, been there 2x  but will be spending a lot more time there in the spring and the rest of my life !!!!!!!!!!!!!
mikesr

Ignore
« Reply #14 on: January 23, 2006, 01:32:59 PM »

Crabnbob,    Have you crabbed by the power plant on the IR?

crabnbob

Ignore
« Reply #15 on: January 24, 2006, 02:17:32 AM »

Stuff.... Sounds like your going to retire soon,? are you ? .. I don't get up on 24 much, actully only once when i went to town of millsboro to get fitted for some tux's for my son's wedding, so instead of going back the way i came. that was back on 113 south to 20 then to fenwick/ i thought i'd take the short cut over the small brigde in millsboro headed east. Well as you well know i ,,,, i was in rehobeth.......(frown ) that did'nt work to well for a short cut home,,,,,lol

Mike Sr. yes i've crabbed around the " y " split area east of the plant. but most'ly west of holt's landing about two miles west on the south side of the river right in front of those super deluxe new homes ... you know the ones that if you own one...you don't crab....you buy them.....do you crab their mike?....I always crab from around mid april to mid nov. I've heard a lot of people you can crab in the permittable (( legal season ) season at the power plant in the winter because of the warm discharge water from the plant ...but who ever tell's me this dosen't know of anyone that doe's ..lol kind strange, have you heard that ?   bob
stuff

Ignore
« Reply #16 on: January 24, 2006, 08:06:20 AM »

yeah given up the workin life in 42 days   got family in millsboro around the cornor from warwick about 1 hour from the house in felton  will split the time between there and wye
mikesr

Ignore
« Reply #17 on: January 24, 2006, 02:54:08 PM »

Crabnbob, 
I have heard that.  There should be crabs and fish on the hot side of the plant year round.  The only problem is getting to them by water is hard. The closer you get to the discharge, the more underwater obstructions. They are everywhere.  I could not get my skiff back there, my lower end took a beating. Shocked 
 I have clammed the area you mentioned w/the big homes west of Holt's.

Try crabbing west past the plant during mid season. Wink

Mike
crabnbob

Ignore
« Reply #18 on: January 25, 2006, 03:15:30 AM »

Stuff .... Congradulations on your up coming retirement, you'll love ever minute of it'. I retired four year's ago, thought i'd might regret it, naaa never looked back and loving it.

Mike Sr. ... I'll have to try that this year. thanks

Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to:  

Home