October 20, 2019, 05:23:19 AM

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Total time logged in: 0 minutes.

Home   Help Login Register  

A D V E R T I S E M E N T

Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Question: Crab traps and orange float markers  (Read 3269 times)
BigCrabDaddy

Ignore
« on: May 31, 2014, 12:36:39 AM »

Normally when I am out and about in the Bay Area(wildwood area) I find a nice spot and toss my traps (usually the cages with fold down sides)... Usually I would throw them in then tier their string off to the boat somewhere... I recently bought a few 3.5" x 4.5" orange can floats... I was wondering if i am allowed to tie my trap(s) off to one of these can floats and toss it into the water? Do I have to write my name on them? Is there a limit to how man I can have out at one time? I wouldn't be leaving them "unattended" as they would never be left alone and always in my line of sight?
54bobby

bob elliott

Ignore
« Reply #1 on: May 31, 2014, 04:29:54 AM »

Normally when I am out and about in the Bay Area(wildwood area) I find a nice spot and toss my traps (usually the cages with fold down sides)... Usually I would throw them in then tier their string off to the boat somewhere... I recently bought a few 3.5" x 4.5" orange can floats... I was wondering if i am allowed to tie my trap(s) off to one of these can floats and toss it into the water? Do I have to write my name on them? Is there a limit to how man I can have out at one time? I wouldn't be leaving them "unattended" as they would never be left alone and always in my line of sight?
you can use as many box traps as you want. your name does NOT have to be on them although it's a good thing to do. i have had traps lost and returned to me by forum members through that id method. they don't even need to be in your sight as long as you are tending them.
biggamejay

Ignore
« Reply #2 on: May 31, 2014, 07:46:23 AM »

I have only one additional thing to add. Make sure not to place them in a channel or in a heavy boat traffic area. I have lost a trap years ago when a boat ran it over. I'm sure more upsetting to the boat owner since my line and trap got wrapped up in his prop. Oops
pttsbrghfan
Lifetime Member

Ignore
« Reply #3 on: May 31, 2014, 01:42:04 PM »

I have only one additional thing to add. Make sure not to place them in a channel or in a heavy boat traffic area. I have lost a trap years ago when a boat ran it over. I'm sure more upsetting to the boat owner since my line and trap got wrapped up in his prop. Oops

Sounds like a good reason not to have a name and phone number on it, I would call that guy day and night for fouling up my day.  Lol

Banned from Patcong Creek.
BigCrabDaddy

Ignore
« Reply #4 on: May 31, 2014, 02:42:09 PM »

Thanks for the quick response guys... That really cleared it up for me... After reading thru the crabbing laws it seems I had "trap" and "pot" confused... Can't wait to go crabbbbing!!!

Ron
Lifetime Member
Global Moderator

RonMeischker https://www.linkedin.com/profile/view?id=220842455&trk=nav_respon RMeischker
« Reply #5 on: May 31, 2014, 07:46:49 PM »

I wouldn't be leaving them "unattended" as they would never be left alone and always in my line of sight?

As long as you are actively working them, they are "attended."   

Blue Crab Advisor to the NJ Marine Fisheries Council

11th Annual Assault on Patcong Creek Crabbing Tournament & BBQ
America's Largest Crabbing Tournament
June 26 & 27th, 2020
Somers Point, NJ

http://www.assaultonpatcongcreek.com

To Register:
http://assaultonpatcongcreek.com/the-crabbing-tournament/tournament-registration/

Check out the tournament's page on Facebook!
https://www.facebook.com/assaultonpatcongcreek

Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to:  

Home