May 19, 2022, 08:31:50 PM

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Total time logged in: 0 minutes.

Home   Help Login Register  

A D V E R T I S E M E N T

Pages: 1 [2] 3   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Got a lil crab today .. Yea!  (Read 16718 times)
tattoo
In Memoriam 09/2021
Lifetime Member

MY BOAT CRAB TRAP

Ignore
« Reply #20 on: January 25, 2006, 05:26:16 PM »

I am loving the pictures. Cheesy Cheesy Cheesy Cheesy Cheesy

A CRAB A DAY KEEPS THE DOCTOR AWAY.
daisycupy
Lifetime Member

The hunt is on for the elusive blue...

Ignore
« Reply #21 on: January 26, 2006, 10:08:35 PM »

Here's a good one!

Good one Bog....  laugh
Joe Crabs
Lifetime Member

I fly on the Wye

Ignore
« Reply #22 on: January 26, 2006, 10:52:19 PM »

Wow just when I was ready to get the adreniline going the blood pressure rose instead. We throw back males bigger than you are keeping. Find some brackisk water. There's a 7 1/2" female in the picture below, you can see where it is going. Angry And Big Al you are stooping to that. laugh

Well to each his own, hope you enjoyed them, but don't expect us to get too excited. Shocked Grin Wink Cool Cool

Crabbing, enjoying the water, meeting new people, making new friends, that's what it's all about.
Muslickz

Ignore
« Reply #23 on: January 26, 2006, 11:06:32 PM »

We throw back males bigger than you are keeping.

Most of mine were 7"...? You toss back 7" males?

Maybe I shoulda moved by you... Smiley

-Mus

“Every normal man must be tempted, at times, to spit on his hands, hoist the black flag, and begin slitting throats.”
― H.L. Mencken
kingcrabber
Lifetime Member

Elvis has left the building....

Ignore
« Reply #24 on: January 27, 2006, 09:05:33 AM »

Wow just when I was ready to get the adreniline going the blood pressure rose instead. We throw back males bigger than you are keeping. Find some brackisk water. There's a 7 1/2" female in the picture below, you can see where it is going. Angry And Big Al you are stooping to that. laugh

Well to each his own, hope you enjoyed them, but don't expect us to get too excited. Shocked Grin Wink Cool Cool
well some things never change,thank God.......Joe Crabs is still possibly the ugliest human being on the planet   dozey dozey dozey leer leer laugh4 laugh4 laugh4

will someone tell me what kind of world it is we live in, when a man dressed up as a bat,steals all my press? ...The Joker

rivercrab
Lifetime Member

Ignore
« Reply #25 on: January 27, 2006, 09:34:51 AM »

I would agree...Other than myself in that witch outfit I think I got em beat laugh laugh
Muslickz

Ignore
« Reply #26 on: January 27, 2006, 10:08:32 AM »

lol, yea I saw that one.. You got em beat...

-Mus

“Every normal man must be tempted, at times, to spit on his hands, hoist the black flag, and begin slitting throats.”
― H.L. Mencken
Seaweed
Lifetime Member

Beware of the guy in orange

Ignore
« Reply #27 on: January 27, 2006, 10:52:33 AM »

I would agree...Other than myself in that witch outfit I think I got em beat laugh laugh

Merry Christmas to Joe Crabs!

Scott, I think you're halloween getup has JC beat, but by a narrow margin.  And I'm not so sure it was really halloween, but thats another story, and none of my buisness laugh laugh

Remember, you can always change your clothes, but JC can't change his face laugh laugh laugh

Git 'r dun!
cw4340

Ignore
« Reply #28 on: January 27, 2006, 10:52:37 AM »

mus you better get your boxin gloves on :argue:your gona get whopped on but i say its just a matter of how hungrury are yae if thats what ya catch go fer it smash smash
Muslickz

Ignore
« Reply #29 on: January 27, 2006, 11:45:44 AM »

Well it's like this.. With an Abundant population and no sign of crab depletion.. why not?

I crab the Indian River Lagoon and Mosquito Lagoon, the nearest inlets are 40+ miles away and it has blossomed it's very own ecosystem here. Normally most species head toward the open water to breed, BUT not in the lagoons here.
 The marine life here had adapted to stay in the lagoons all year long. Look up Mosquito lagoon and you'll see it's Florida's #1 pristine water. With very lil pollution and abundant food the crab numbers are very healthy.. Remember it's January and I'm catching just about 8" females. Can ya imagine July?
 There is no size requirement here and I believe by tossing back everything  < 5 1/2" I am helping more than the guys hunting for 100's of 1" baby's for drum fish bait.
 Again I must say I believe the location is what's different here, you guys have had a real pollution problem, thou it is getting better. You also have WAY WAY more crabbers there. So between crabbers and water conditions it is vital that you adhere to a higher standard.
 I am not knocking you for it, it is everyone's responsibility to help keep our waters fishable. I actually applaud ya's for it. Thou I cannot see tossing back males at 7".. why bother to go?
 It's more of a "When in Rome thing" I would think. Imagine pulling up on the Wye and seeing a dozen boats Taking nothing but 1-2" baby crabs from you favorite spot.. WOAH!! now imagine it was ok, and the crab population was still climbing?? That's what it's like here..
 Now don't get jealous.. Just plan a vacation to Cape Canaveral Space Center and take an afternoon Behind NASA'a launch pads... That's where I'll be!

-Mus

Oh and P.S> I was captain of the debate team.. Tongue

― H.L. Mencken

Seaweed
Lifetime Member

Beware of the guy in orange

Ignore
« Reply #30 on: January 27, 2006, 12:41:22 PM »

Well it's like this.. With an Abundant population and no sign of crab depletion.. why not?

I crab the Indian River Lagoon and Mosquito Lagoon, the nearest inlets are 40+ miles away and it has blossomed it's very own ecosystem here. Normally most species head toward the open water to breed, BUT not in the lagoons here.
 The marine life here had adapted to stay in the lagoons all year long. Look up Mosquito lagoon and you'll see it's Florida's #1 pristine water. With very lil pollution and abundant food the crab numbers are very healthy.. Remember it's January and I'm catching just about 8" females. Can ya imagine July?
 There is no size requirement here and I believe by tossing back everything  < 5 1/2" I am helping more than the guys hunting for 100's of 1" baby's for drum fish bait.
 Again I must say I believe the location is what's different here, you guys have had a real pollution problem, thou it is getting better. You also have WAY WAY more crabbers there. So between crabbers and water conditions it is vital that you adhere to a higher standard.
 I am not knocking you for it, it is everyone's responsibility to help keep our waters fishable. I actually applaud ya's for it. Thou I cannot see tossing back males at 7".. why bother to go?
 It's more of a "When in Rome thing" I would think. Imagine pulling up on the Wye and seeing a dozen boats Taking nothing but 1-2" baby crabs from you favorite spot.. WOAH!! now imagine it was ok, and the crab population was still climbing?? That's what it's like here..
 Now don't get jealous.. Just plan a vacation to Cape Canaveral Space Center and take an afternoon Behind NASA'a launch pads... That's where I'll be!

-Mus

Oh and P.S> I was captain of the debate team.. Tongue

Mus-

Don't get too worked up about everything you read on this board.  There may or may not be some truth bending or exaggeration, if you catch my drift.  Most of it is in good fun, so don't read into too much.  If you caught an 8" crab, someone here will come over the top with an 8.5" crab.  And there's plenty of ballbusting and ribbing between members who are friends, and you may have picked up on. gossip

Welcome to the site.  Keep crabbing and do whatever is allowed y your laws and what you feel it best. Smiley

Git 'r dun!
procrabber

Ignore
« Reply #31 on: January 27, 2006, 01:00:57 PM »

THROW THE MALES BACK!!!! KEEP THE FEMALES!!!! 

now that i have your attention Grin, might i remind you all that the crab population would be HIGHER if you kept the FEMALES  and NOT THE MALES.  actually, if you are in an area where you are catching all males, it is better to keep males and let the females go, but if you are catching all females, the reproductive success of the females is greatly decreased based on the numbers of males, so if you catch one male, it is the eqivalent of keeping 10 females.  in areas where the population of males and females are the same, it is better to keep males and let the females go.  it is not like in deer populations where 1 million sperm make one fawn, so sperm is in excess.  remember the females produce 1 million eggs, males make only enough sperm to fertilize about 10 million eggs.  60% of all crabs are female, and most of the males are in areas with low female numbers, so most areas are "sperm depleted" where female crabs exist

ive explained this concept many times on this site.  it is a shame ive gotten through to so few people.  the research shows that females in medium and high salinity areas have low levels of fertilized eggs due to lack of suitable males

remeber this rule of thumb:
mostly males= keep males
1/2 males and 1/2 females= keep the males
mostly females= keep the females

Steve
Administrator

« Reply #32 on: January 27, 2006, 02:12:55 PM »

Don't forget this one:

Mostly in New Jersey = keep whatever you can!!  Grin
fred

Ignore
« Reply #33 on: January 27, 2006, 02:24:58 PM »

Joe, my man, that don't look like a female apron to me      Shocked

you know why they say men go blind   Grin
Big AL

Keep smiling

Ignore
« Reply #34 on: January 27, 2006, 03:49:09 PM »

Joe, my man, that don't look like a female apron to me      Shocked

you know why they say men go blind   Grin

Joe C, Do not see how you can see me stooping to anything. Huh Huh I only said I'm going to help my sister out with her problem of crabs eating  bait off of the hook.I gots ta catch dem before I know what sex they are.However,I toss females back but I can't fault another crabber for keeping them. It"s the ole selle gare Pussy Cat  Grin Grin Long Live The KING

W W C

Big AL

Keep smiling

Ignore
« Reply #35 on: January 27, 2006, 03:57:08 PM »

Grin Oh Yeah, I have not stooped for anything in ten years  Angry Angry Bad Back Angry Sad

W W C
Joe Crabs
Lifetime Member

I fly on the Wye

Ignore
« Reply #36 on: January 27, 2006, 10:55:50 PM »

This is for you sweetpea (Seeweed) a closer shot . laugh laugh And Musk you are entitled to keep what you get if that's your preference good for you just don't expect alot of cheers though the comm guys will love you. Can't wait to see them bushels.  Roll Eyes But I don't see anyone knocking down the doors asking for Florida crabs. I think the term preference is Maryland Crabs (Chesapeake Bay) and that's because they simply taste the best, water is fine just don't drink it.  laugh As the weed said it's all in good fun nothing to get all bent out of shape about.  And you get to crab and fish all year round that's something to cheer about, but we don't seem to hear from you guys when the our season starts rolling. Shocked Welcome to the board glad you decided to become a member. Cool Cool

Oh by the way, feel free to browse through the crabbing reports WYE RIVER and the photo album that should answer your size question, 6" is my limit on a bad day,but don't get too many of those on the Wye. I like to snap a photo now and then laugh. Wink Cool

HeyPro you starting that Big male thing again. Shocked

Sorry Big Al I don't know what I was thinking. laugh

KC, glad to see someone unlocked your tomb. And Peaweed, I'll try harder maybe I'll shave my head and become a Mini-King.  laugh
« Last Edit: January 27, 2006, 11:27:48 PM by Joe Crabs » Logged

Crabbing, enjoying the water, meeting new people, making new friends, that's what it's all about.
Muslickz

Ignore
« Reply #37 on: January 28, 2006, 09:03:22 PM »

ROFL, Chaulkin' it up to.. " To each his own.. Smiley "

-Mus

― H.L. Mencken
Joe Crabs
Lifetime Member

I fly on the Wye

Ignore
« Reply #38 on: January 28, 2006, 09:55:08 PM »

ROFL, Chaulkin' it up to.. " To each his own.. Smiley "

-Mus

Now that's the spirit. Wink Cool Cool Cool Keep posting the pictures we really enjoy them, good crabbing. Cheesy Cool Cool

daisycupy
Lifetime Member

The hunt is on for the elusive blue...

Ignore
« Reply #39 on: January 29, 2006, 09:37:01 PM »

Remember, you can always change your clothes, but JC can't change his face laugh laugh laugh

Why would JC, the "Great Wye Warrior" want to change his face?
He is handsome and God  knows the gleam in his eye is tooooo  much!! ya gotta luv him, well maybe yu guys don't..... lol....... but us gals think he's FINNNEEE .........Grin Wink

Pages: 1 [2] 3   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to:  

Home