December 06, 2021, 07:06:08 AM

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Total time logged in: 0 minutes.

Home   Help Login Register  

A D V E R T I S E M E N T

Pages: [1] 2   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: M'skeet  (Read 7996 times)
philjam

Ignore
« on: June 27, 2014, 09:38:01 AM »

Took an hour drive from our new home on Yeats Creek to check out Mattamuskeet. There were more crabbers than I expected in the middle of a week day, temp. in the 90 's. I asked several people who said they were doing all right. We saw a daddy netting a double header of nice size crabs for his little girls. I plan to go back in the fall and put some traps along one of the culverts on the causeway. I want to fish also, maybe throw a cut bait for cats.
horsefly
Lifetime Member

Ignore
« Reply #1 on: June 27, 2014, 05:22:01 PM »

Took an hour drive from our new home on Yeats Creek to check out Mattamuskeet. There were more crabbers than I expected in the middle of a week day, temp. in the 90 's. I asked several people who said they were doing all right. We saw a daddy netting a double header of nice size crabs for his little girls. I plan to go back in the fall and put some traps along one of the culverts on the causeway. I want to fish also, maybe throw a cut bait for cats.
traps or pots? Best time to go is from about 5ish am to about 10am, crabs seem to hit more then, but still doable throughout the day.  The area is scattered with little places to go, some you will drive to then have to walk a bit to get in. Bring lots of bug spray and be very cautious of snakes.

Lots of crabbers and crab lovers on here. If you enjoy crabs, lot's of info and good chat about crabs. Why not go ahead and donate to this forum. Deep down after doing research on here and chatting with others,you will find useful info from some new friends.ENJOY!!
philjam

Ignore
« Reply #2 on: June 27, 2014, 10:38:53 PM »

This was a shakedown cruise, no equipment, just seeing what people were catching and how. The crabbers were either on culverts and the bridge by the park office. If there are many snakes (by that I take it you mean venomous) then I will not take the grandkids and dogs where there is brush, high grass, swamp, etc.
tattoo
In Memoriam 09/2021
Lifetime Member

MY BOAT CRAB TRAP

Ignore
« Reply #3 on: June 28, 2014, 08:33:45 AM »

Thanks for the report

A CRAB A DAY KEEPS THE DOCTOR AWAY.
horsefly
Lifetime Member

Ignore
« Reply #4 on: June 28, 2014, 02:09:43 PM »

This was a shakedown cruise, no equipment, just seeing what people were catching and how. The crabbers were either on culverts and the bridge by the park office. If there are many snakes (by that I take it you mean venomous) then I will not take the grandkids and dogs where there is brush, high grass, swamp, etc.
Yes, lots, mostly moccasins, you might come across a cottonmouth or eastern rattlesnake as well. You can take the grandkids and dogs, just keep close eye on your surroundings and have fun, more people, crab eaters or not equals more crabs for you....since you can only keep dozen per person.

Lots of crabbers and crab lovers on here. If you enjoy crabs, lot's of info and good chat about crabs. Why not go ahead and donate to this forum. Deep down after doing research on here and chatting with others,you will find useful info from some new friends.ENJOY!!

Harford Crabber
Supporting Member

Ignore
« Reply #5 on: July 02, 2014, 08:38:02 AM »

Yes, lots, mostly moccasins, you might come across a cottonmouth or eastern rattlesnake as well. You can take the grandkids and dogs, just keep close eye on your surroundings and have fun, more people, crab eaters or not equals more crabs for you....since you can only keep dozen per person.

So, it's been changed from 50 to 12?

I love to fish, but I live to crab.
JIMMYCRAB

GOTTA LOVE IT!!!

Ignore
« Reply #6 on: July 02, 2014, 09:27:02 AM »

We don't see them much, if at all, but aren't Cottonmouths and moccasins the same snake?? Not being a smart arse!!  (Well, I've been known to be a smart arse , but not at this particular moment). I really don't know.

Smoked carp tastes just as good as smoked salmon .....when you don't have any smoked salmon.
Milty_NC

Ignore
« Reply #7 on: July 02, 2014, 10:03:42 AM »

We don't see them much, if at all, but aren't Cottonmouths and moccasins the same snake?? Not being a smart arse!!  (Well, I've been known to be a smart arse , but not at this particular moment). I really don't know.

Cottonmouth, Moccasin and Water moccasin are all synonymous names used to describe the same snake Agkistrodon piscivorus. If you have a shortage of them up there, I could box you up a mated pair and you can start breeding them. and I am being a smart arse Grin 
JIMMYCRAB

GOTTA LOVE IT!!!

Ignore
« Reply #8 on: July 02, 2014, 10:44:32 AM »

Cottonmouth, Moccasin and Water moccasin are all synonymous names used to describe the same snake Agkistrodon piscivorus. If you have a shortage of them up there, I could box you up a mated pair and you can start breeding them. and I am being a smart arse Grin 
Do they taste like Chicken?Huh Grin Grin

Smoked carp tastes just as good as smoked salmon .....when you don't have any smoked salmon.
horsefly
Lifetime Member

Ignore
« Reply #9 on: July 02, 2014, 02:28:40 PM »

So, it's been changed from 50 to 12?
Was informed of this by the wildlife peeps down at the lodge back in 2010. But yeah I don't see it in rules, it was back then...along with needing a fishing license.

horsefly
Lifetime Member

Ignore
« Reply #10 on: July 02, 2014, 02:48:21 PM »

Actually here it is Crabbing
The appropriate state inland (freshwater) fishing license is
required to crab on Mattamuskeet NWR.
Only five hand lines and/or hand-activated traps per
person are permitted. Crab pots are prohibited. The take/
possession limit is 12 blue crabs per person per day.

The minimum length limit for blue crabs is 5-inches
carapace width (point-to-point).
Crabs caught on Mattamuskeet NWR are for personal use
only and may not be sold.

http://www.fws.gov/southeast/pubs/mattafishing.pdf

CrabDog
Lifetime Member

Ignore
« Reply #11 on: July 02, 2014, 02:52:54 PM »

OK HF,

but how many moccasins can one keep........  Undecided Undecided Undecided Undecided  yuck man I hate snakes......  especially venomous ones... and they are mean too come right after you up and into the boat.......

MD / PA Line
horsefly
Lifetime Member

Ignore
« Reply #12 on: July 02, 2014, 02:53:24 PM »

Typing while thinking of obvious name, and didn't mean to type cottonmouth, MEANT to say Copperhead and Moccasins, sorry, brain fart.  

CrabDog
Lifetime Member

Ignore
« Reply #13 on: July 02, 2014, 02:55:27 PM »

Typing while thinking of obvious name, and didn't mean to type cottonmouth, MEANT to say Copperhead and Moccasins, sorry, brain fart.  

So you call copperheads - moccasins I thought moccasins were the same as cotton mouths ...... either way copper head cotton mouth both venomous.... so ugh.......

MD / PA Line
horsefly
Lifetime Member

Ignore
« Reply #14 on: July 02, 2014, 02:55:38 PM »

OK HF,

but how many moccasins can one keep........  Undecided Undecided Undecided Undecided  yuck man I hate snakes......  especially venomous ones... and they are mean too come right after you up and into the boat.......
Where our boat is tied up right now, there is a ton of moccasins kinda creepy actually because they lurk under or around the floating docks

horsefly
Lifetime Member

Ignore
« Reply #15 on: July 02, 2014, 02:56:27 PM »

So you call copperheads - moccasins I thought moccasins were the same as cotton mouths ...... either way copper head cotton mouth both venomous.... so ugh.......
stop confusing yourself, you're giving me a headache  Roll Eyes Embarassed  laugh  laugh

philjam

Ignore
« Reply #16 on: July 03, 2014, 09:43:09 AM »

Well I think all this poison snake talk is just to make us Yankees go home. I was told the bugs would eat me alive but after a month fishing on my dock in a swamp, hasn't happened. In a months time saw 2 snakes in the water and they looked like the common water snakes that we have back in Penciltucky.  Hurricane Arthur doesn't scare us either. We are off Blounts Bay and love it so far. Have caught bream, catfish, bowfin and turtles off the dock but no crabs seen or caught. A trip to Mattamuskeet is definitely in the future. Thanks for all the replies.
Milty_NC

Ignore
« Reply #17 on: July 03, 2014, 11:19:01 AM »

Well I think all this poison snake talk is just to make us Yankees go home. I was told the bugs would eat me alive but after a month fishing on my dock in a swamp, hasn't happened. In a months time saw 2 snakes in the water and they looked like the common water snakes that we have back in Penciltucky.  Hurricane Arthur doesn't scare us either. We are off Blounts Bay and love it so far. Have caught bream, catfish, bowfin and turtles off the dock but no crabs seen or caught. A trip to Mattamuskeet is definitely in the future. Thanks for all the replies.

Blount bay isn't exactly what I consider swamp. Tell you what, come on down to my boat at Camden point one morning. wear short sleeve pants and shirt and no bug dope. If you can make it through loading the boat, and gassing up the boat without smacking or swatting I will give you a bushel of crabs.
horsefly
Lifetime Member

Ignore
« Reply #18 on: July 03, 2014, 12:18:10 PM »

Blount bay isn't exactly what I consider swamp. Tell you what, come on down to my boat at Camden point one morning. wear short sleeve pants and shirt and no bug dope. If you can make it through loading the boat, and gassing up the boat without smacking or swatting I will give you a bushel of crabs.
lol now that is so true and funny, even tho no wind or light wind from the north I end up with fuzzy bills all over the place, almost worse than mosquitoes themselves imo. They like to get in your nose, mouth, ears, eyes especially if you have sunglasses on they get up in there in your vision >.<

Crabpot Man
Lifetime Member

I Love Crabs!

Ignore
« Reply #19 on: July 03, 2014, 12:22:40 PM »

Beaufort County, swamp?   laugh4 laugh4 laugh4

Wait a minute, let me compose myself...

laugh laugh laugh laugh

Pages: [1] 2   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to:  

Home