December 06, 2021, 06:59:56 AM

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Total time logged in: 0 minutes.

Home   Help Login Register  

A D V E R T I S E M E N T

Pages: 1 [2]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: M'skeet  (Read 7995 times)
philjam

Ignore
« Reply #20 on: July 04, 2014, 10:05:21 PM »

There are 14 steps down to the 100 yd. boardwalk that leads to my dock on Yeats creek. The boardwalk cuts through 100 yard of cattails, swamp hibiscus, pickerel weed, and cypress. Sometimes there is water and sometimes not. It is like this as far up and down the creek on both sides. I saw a swamp rabbit (definitely NOT a cottontail,) and a muskrat rooting around the cattails. My lab jumped off the dock and sunk up to his belly in muck. OK, if it's not a swamp, what is it? Edumacate the ignorant new guy please.
philjam

Ignore
« Reply #21 on: July 04, 2014, 10:19:46 PM »

Blount bay isn't exactly what I consider swamp. Tell you what, come on down to my boat at Camden point one morning. wear short sleeve pants and shirt and no bug dope. If you can make it through loading the boat, and gassing up the boat without smacking or swatting I will give you a bushel of crabs.

6 hours round trip from here to Camden pt. for a bushel of crabs huh. I was trained (SERE school) to not swat or smack, how be silent when provoked by minor inconveniences. That kind of training comes in handy when you are being hunted by humans, where sneezing, saying "OUCH" or slapping a bitty bloodsucker - more than just skeeters, leeches, et cetera, might result in something more serious than itchy red lumps. But thanks for the generous offer. How many weeks do you have to save up for a bushel? Grin
Milty_NC

Ignore
« Reply #22 on: July 05, 2014, 03:37:20 AM »

There are 14 steps down to the 100 yd. boardwalk that leads to my dock on Yeats creek. The boardwalk cuts through 100 yard of cattails, swamp hibiscus, pickerel weed, and cypress. Sometimes there is water and sometimes not. It is like this as far up and down the creek on both sides. I saw a swamp rabbit (definitely NOT a cottontail,) and a muskrat rooting around the cattails. My lab jumped off the dock and sunk up to his belly in muck. OK, if it's not a swamp, what is it? Edumacate the ignorant new guy please.

Sounds like a  marsh to me.
jack1747
Lifetime Member
Global Moderator

Crab'n is a way of life....

« Reply #23 on: July 05, 2014, 07:15:26 AM »

Sounds like a  marsh to me.
Had to look out the window to see if he was in my yard... Grin

"Helping to Moderate the BCA since 2003" "I've gotten to the point in my life where I no longer give a [shiz] what people think, I'm not going to take any [shiz], because, frankly my dears, I am NOT in the [shiz] business." Quote from Suzy. :-)
philjam

Ignore
« Reply #24 on: July 05, 2014, 08:09:21 AM »

What's the difference between a marsh and a swamp? I came from a Piedmont area in PA where marshes, swamps, bogs, et cetera, were not common.

Crabpot Man
Lifetime Member

I Love Crabs!

Ignore
« Reply #25 on: July 05, 2014, 03:38:23 PM »

Marshes are a transition between land and water ecosystems, consist mainly of reeds and grasses.

Swamps are their own ecosystems that are primarily forested and have significant peat accumulation.
philjam

Ignore
« Reply #26 on: July 06, 2014, 05:22:25 PM »

Thank you. I live next to a marsh.
Crabpot Man
Lifetime Member

I Love Crabs!

Ignore
« Reply #27 on: July 06, 2014, 06:17:15 PM »

Now that we have settled that, can I interest you in some swamp critters?

All the bugs you can handle.  Grin
Milty_NC

Ignore
« Reply #28 on: July 06, 2014, 08:18:47 PM »

Swamps typically have more pools of stagnant water, the ideal breeding ground for annoying bugs. One of the biggest problems around the boat dock is yellow flies, and these bigger green flies, that land teeth first. Fuzzy bills are another annoying insect, they don't bite but are often present in the millions. I have seen the fuzzy bills so thick, that they choked off boat motors, and stopped 12 volt fans from turning. I use to keep a piece of widow screen in the boat console, i would tuck it down my shirt, and up under my hat, it looked something like a bee keepers hat. This was the only way to keep from eating a few LB of them through the course of the day, it also kept them from walking on your eye balls and crawling in your ears.
philjam

Ignore
« Reply #29 on: July 07, 2014, 08:12:03 PM »

Used to crab estuaries in Fortescue NJ where hordes of green head flies were the scourge. None of them here thank you very much.  Sounds like Camden NC has similarities to Camden NJ, lots of blood sucking parasites. 

Pages: 1 [2]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to:  

Home