July 01, 2022, 05:25:25 AM

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Total time logged in: 0 minutes.

Home   Help Login Register  

A D V E R T I S E M E N T

Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Jacksonville Fl 5/11/14  (Read 3636 times)
scotty_p

Ignore
« on: May 15, 2014, 01:04:06 PM »

I had a little extra time this past weekend and threw 4 hand lines in the St Johns river downtown. I caught 5 keepers (6"+) and a lot of baby blues that constently kept me busy pulling the lines in. I threw the keepers back since i was going out later night and didnt want to waste them.  1 Jimmy was 7"+ and was missing both claws, 1 swimmer fin mostly gone and 3 of the walk legs were chewed up pretty good. He was a fat crab though, and one of the dirties i have ever seen by far.

Another spot i go to is Guana off of A1A.  Its a bit of a drive from OP where i am at, but it is pretty good crabbing.  At all hours of the day, there are people there pulling in crabs and some pretty good fish, at night you can find some decent sized shrimp from what i hear as well. I went about 3 weeks ago using chicken.  I only netted 1, but the guy litterally 10ft to my right, using chicken as well, pulled in 25+ jumbos in about 3 hours on 3 lines, go figure.

Anyone else know of any good spots in Jax or near surrounding areas? 
Gnifrus

Ignore
« Reply #1 on: June 20, 2014, 05:54:08 PM »

Scotty

I'm new to Jacksonville and have found a few spots, although they are muddy and a little difficult. PM me and I'll tell you what I know. Guana sounds interesting. I might go just to check that whole area out. Info on down town spots would be appreciated. I'm looking for a few spots where I don't have to crawl down embankments and get too dirty. Adventures like that are fun once in awhile, but not every time.   I use Google maps to find creeks with good water flow and some potential for good crabbing. Where are you located in Jacksonville?

Peter
tattoo
In Memoriam 09/2021
Lifetime Member

MY BOAT CRAB TRAP

Ignore
« Reply #2 on: June 20, 2014, 07:35:44 PM »

Nice

A CRAB A DAY KEEPS THE DOCTOR AWAY.
avetjx

Ignore
« Reply #3 on: June 21, 2014, 09:44:38 PM »

Hey guys,

I go crabbing at guana quite a bit. Going tomorrow as a matter of fact. If you want to pm' me I will share what I know and maybe we can trade spots or meet up on the water sometime.

Eric
Luv2Yak

Ignore
« Reply #4 on: June 24, 2014, 11:27:10 AM »

Hey guys,

I go crabbing at guana quite a bit. Going tomorrow as a matter of fact. If you want to pm' me I will share what I know and maybe we can trade spots or meet up on the water sometime.

Eric

I went kayak fishing at Guana Lake for the first time a few weeks ago.

Also for the first time I saw people crabbing from shore/wading out using a main line tied between 2 stakes with bait lines (chicken) off the main line.

While fishing I saw more than a few alligators some pretty big ones. Actually hooked a small alligator (about 2 1/2').

The water there is murky at best (poor visibility).

IMO you've got to be crazy to be wading out in murky water to check crab lines baited with chicken where there are that many gators.

Give a man a fish he eats for a day. Teach a man to fish he eats for a lifetime.

avetjx

Ignore
« Reply #5 on: June 25, 2014, 09:05:32 AM »

I hear you about the gators and there's always a chance as we all know but I've never seen any gators come up next to the dam. I have seen some small ones on the eastern and western shore a ways up from the dam but usually there is so much activity around the dam area, it hasn't been a problem. With that being said, I would recommend that nobody bring their dog crabbing with them  Grin
scotty_p

Ignore
« Reply #6 on: June 25, 2014, 09:37:36 AM »

yes, def no dogs!   a rule most of the crabbers go by out there is that once you are done, dont just throw bait scraps (chicken legs / necks) into the shallow waters or anywhere people are. Dont want to tempt the gators from coming in close.  I have actually seen a guy call a crabber out and tell him to put the scraps in the trash bins.

Ive never seen a gator there either though, but i stay close to the dam.

Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to:  

Home