May 21, 2018, 01:10:43 AM

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Total time logged in: 0 minutes.

Home   Help Login Register  

Pages: 1 [2]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: PA Mom Goes to Jail?  (Read 21416 times)
samiam

Ignore
« Reply #20 on: April 04, 2015, 08:02:39 AM »

I've never spent 4 months in prison. I'm betting you haven't either. Aitken was the victim of a staggering cascade of injustices that deprived him of his liberty for too long, left him with a record as a convicted felon, and deprived him of any chance to ever see his young son again (ntm he can never again legally own a firearm, anywhere). Christie had an opportunity to set things right, and declined to do so. Anyone who doesn't know the details of this case should get hold and read a copy of "The Blue Tent Sky" (better yet, buy a copy - proceeds go to Aitken's defense fund). Jack - you might want to take a pass on that read - I pretty well guarantee that it will produce a bout of apoplexy.

NRA-ILA blurb on Blue Tent Sky https://www.nraila.org/articles/20141113/human-sacrifices-for-gun-control
Article linked to from ILA (in case link doen't work for some) https://reason.com/archives/2014/11/12/human-sacrifices-for-gun-control

I must admit, I didn't think highly of Christie to begin with, but even if I had no opinion before, the contrast between his response to these two cases would have cemented his place among NJ's most opportunistic RINOs.

"Let's agree to disagree, shall we?"

Samiam

I don't disagree that our laws are too rigid but I do disagree with your characterization of Christie's intentions in providing the pardon and on your description of his handling of the Brian Aitken situation.   

Aitken was sentenced to seven years in August 2010 and was given clemency in December 2010.   Granting clemency four months into a seven year sentence doesn't qualify as "leaving him to rot" in my book.     

Though he was subsequently acquitted of the handgun charge and the high capacity magazine conviction was overturned, higher courts have upheld his conviction on the possession of hollow point bullets.  It seems unlikely the NJ Supreme Court will overturn that conviction, as the law specifically outlines a small handful of circumstances in which hollow point ammo may be transported, and moving from one home to another is (inexplicably!) not one of those circumstances.   In light of the split calls on the convictions by the higher courts, I'd say Christie was correct to commute the sentence to time served and allow the legal system/appeals process to play itself out, as opposed to flat-out pardoning him.     

Finally, you know, I know and bet your bottom dollar, Christie knows, that he's not going to be president in 2016.   Attorney General if we somehow get a Republican President?    Maybe...    President?    No way.

It makes sense to me that the act of moving your worldly possessions from one domicile to another should be a circumstance where you may legally transport legally purchased hollow point ammunition in your vehicle.    It seems logical that this circumstance should be added to the small list of allowable reasons to transport such ammunition.    Unfortunately logic and laws don't always mix.
Ron
Lifetime Member
Global Moderator

RonMeischker https://www.linkedin.com/profile/view?id=220842455&trk=nav_respon RMeischker
« Reply #21 on: April 04, 2015, 08:40:19 AM »

I've never spent 4 months in prison. I'm betting you haven't either.

Not sure what that has to do with my taking exception with your characterization that he was "left him to rot" in jail by Chris Christie.   Christie commuted his sentence four months into a seven year stint.    Saying he was "left to rot" is an overstatement.  

Aitken was the victim of a staggering cascade of injustices that deprived him of his liberty for too long, left him with a record as a convicted felon, and deprived him of any chance to ever see his young son again (ntm he can never again legally own a firearm, anywhere). Christie had an opportunity to set things right, and declined to do so.

The comment about him being deprived of ever seeing his son again is pure spin out of his camp.   He had a plethora of marital/family/custody problems related to his ex-wife and young son prior to being arrested.  

As far as Christie "setting things right" I think releasing him and allowing the courts to do their job is setting things right.   But rather than rehashing that statement, these are points we can agree to disagree on as you suggested.

I must admit, I didn't think highly of Christie to begin with, but even if I had no opinion before, the contrast between his response to these two cases would have cemented his place among NJ's most opportunistic RINOs.

No, he's really not.  I deal with legislative issues related to my work all the time so I have an opportunity to see his work that "doesn't make the papers."    He vetoes harmful bills jammed through the Assembly and Senate almost on a weekly basis.     He has also stood tall and fast on reforming the public pension and benefits funds which can't sustain themselves.    If he was a RINO, he'd just pander to the public and teacher's unions and kick the can down the road for the next administration to do that, and he hasn't.    Needless to say, his stance has made him extremely unpopular with the public and teacher's unions as I am sure you realize.

Now, is he your traditional conservative, Christian Republican from the south?   No, but he's no RINO.
« Last Edit: April 04, 2015, 08:43:18 AM by Ron » Logged

9th Annual Assault on Patcong Creek Crabbing Tournament & BBQ
America's Largest Crabbing Tournament
June 22-23, 2018
Somers Point, NJ

http://www.assaultonpatcongcreek.com

To Register:
http://assaultonpatcongcreek.com/the-crabbing-tournament/tournament-registration/

Check out the tournament's page on Facebook!
https://www.facebook.com/assaultonpatcongcreek
Pages: 1 [2]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to:  

Home