December 01, 2021, 05:33:39 PM

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Total time logged in: 0 minutes.

Home   Help Login Register  

A D V E R T I S E M E N T

Pages: 1 [2]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: new jersey boat license  (Read 28636 times)
stuff

i dont need it but i got to have it

Ignore
« Reply #20 on: May 30, 2008, 09:32:55 AM »

i got around the whole problem  i moved    livin like a king now
LeathalWeapon

Chick Magnet!

Ignore
« Reply #21 on: June 27, 2008, 04:42:54 PM »

i was just at DCBR on 6/23 and he told me soon even to rent  boat you would need a boating cert. but he never gave me an exact date, and he still rented me the boat.  He did however read a set of brief rules and a more thorough run down than before. 

"I wanna go babbin and bitchin" -- L-Dub
ReelQuick

Ignore
« Reply #22 on: July 02, 2008, 07:36:14 PM »

Its worth having,been boating since the age of 9.Now 36,I forgot alot of the basics.Got stopped the other day on the D-Bay,and that was the first thing they wanted.It`s quick and easy and if you take the class......you will pass.

Don`t dry your hand`s on the cat.Seemed like a good idea at the time!
CaptMoose
Lifetime Member

Ignore
« Reply #23 on: July 07, 2008, 09:35:54 AM »

Like anything, it depends on the Marine Police officer you get and maybe even what kind of day they're having and how nice you are about it if you get stopped.  Two weeks ago I took the kids tubing (only the second time out this year) on the Maurice River in the evening after work.  We were one of the only boats around and when I saw the patrol boat I knew we were in for a stop.  The two officers were really nice and everything checked out OK.  I think the kids were worried though!  laugh

They only casually asked if I took the NJ Boater Safety Course.  I have a Capt's license and they didn't even ask to see it which surprised me.  I was kind of hoping they did because I'm not keen on carrying the original (it's a full letter sized piece of paper) so I made a reduced size copy to fit in my wallet.  If someone wants to see it they better have good vision!

As for etiquette and common sense, ramp or otherwise, I encourage that in all things.  There's a lot to be said about do unto others.  Make sure to treat your fellow boater's with courtesy and the Marine Police too.  They're just doing their jobs.

I do support boater education.  It may seem like a non-issue if you've been boating for a long time, but if you spend any time on the water you know there are many, many operators who don't seem like they know what they are doing.  I work part time for a hands on, on the water marine training company based in Moorestown and every week I spend time with folks who need to learn the basics.  Let me tell you, they all have taken the boater safety course and it does not make them better boat operators.  Taking the course gives you knowledge.  Only experience and practice will make you a better boater.

Even if you have been boating for a long time and think you know it all, please be open to new ideas and safer practices.  I work full time in the marine insurance business and I can't tell you how many accidents happened because of someone erroneously thinking what they were doing was right and safe because "that's the way we always did it."  That lesson often comes with a high price (sometimes deadly). 

Be safe out there and I'll see you on the water!
« Last Edit: July 07, 2008, 09:38:18 AM by CaptMoose » Logged

23' C Hawk

A D V E R T I S E M E N T

Pages: 1 [2]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to:  

Home