May 22, 2018, 09:27:33 PM

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Total time logged in: 0 minutes.

Home   Help Login Register  

A D V E R T I S E M E N T

Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: How to freeze crab meat.  (Read 11413 times)
soggybottomboyz

Obama SUCKS

Ignore
« on: August 19, 2014, 02:47:40 PM »

I was just curious how others freeze crab meat for winter uses such as soup, imperial, etc.

"I am the reason there is a daily limit and I do not use orange plastic baskets ALL the time".
Crabbyd
Lifetime Member

5 girls....and DONE!!!!!

Ignore
« Reply #1 on: August 19, 2014, 03:38:47 PM »

I was just curious how others freeze crab meat for winter uses such as soup, imperial, etc.

vacuum seal mine after I do a quick freeze to keep the moisture from being pulled out and into the sealer.

"Life is not a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in a pretty and well preserved body, but rather to skid in broadside, a crab in one hand, a beer in the other, thoroughly used up, totally worn out, and loudly proclaiming -- WOW--What a Ride!"
flounderpounder
Lifetime Member

Ignore
« Reply #2 on: August 19, 2014, 03:59:07 PM »

vacuum seal mine after I do a quick freeze to keep the moisture from being pulled out and into the sealer.

X2. Just like i freeze my softies

" I CAN SKIN A BUCK, I CAN RUN A TROT LINE A PA BOY CAN SURVIVE" 

"YOU CAN LOVE ME OR HATE ME, BUT WHEN YOU HATE ME, YOU LOVE TO HATE ME "Wink
tattoo
Lifetime Member

MY BOAT CRAB TRAP

Ignore
« Reply #3 on: August 19, 2014, 04:06:56 PM »

same as above . i vac seal mine

A CRAB A DAY KEEPS THE DOCTOR AWAY.   

Click Here To Mount Your Crab
jack1747
Lifetime Member
Global Moderator

Crab'n is a way of life....

« Reply #4 on: August 19, 2014, 04:17:18 PM »

search "vacuum packer" Wink

"Helping to Moderate the BCA since 2003"

soggybottomboyz

Obama SUCKS

Ignore
« Reply #5 on: August 20, 2014, 08:11:17 AM »

Thanks

"I am the reason there is a daily limit and I do not use orange plastic baskets ALL the time".
Chef Lar
Lifetime Member

Ignore
« Reply #6 on: August 20, 2014, 11:12:49 AM »

I bought a Rival seal-a-meal at a discount store, scracth and dent/refurbished, etc. Works great. Had it at least ten years. Still going strong. Came with a hose that can attach to mason jars, and also two containers that fit on it to vacuum things like a box of cereal. I used it for my yeast when I was baking.

"Don't be a dumbass." Whiskey Tango Foxtrot
soggybottomboyz

Obama SUCKS

Ignore
« Reply #7 on: August 20, 2014, 12:06:38 PM »

I have one of those sealing thingys around, I think it is packed away in a box from our move.  Time to start digging thru boxes!!  Picked two pounds last night and going for two more tonight.  I am starting to get the claw hand from all the baiting/unbaiting and now picking.  I need to buy stock in Ibuprofen!! laugh laugh

jack1747
Lifetime Member
Global Moderator

Crab'n is a way of life....

« Reply #8 on: August 20, 2014, 12:22:47 PM »

next it will be "crab pot elbow" Cool

"Helping to Moderate the BCA since 2003"
CrabDog
Lifetime Member

Ignore
« Reply #9 on: August 20, 2014, 01:09:03 PM »

vaccuum seal everything I can... BOGO at stores like chicken, roastsetc.. I buy one eat it fresh then vaccuum seal the free stuff....   works well,..... and holds stuff much longer.... same with deer, crab, rockfish etc

once you get use to doing it you will never put anything in the freezer w/o vaccuuming....

MD / PA Line

masspi

Ignore
« Reply #10 on: August 20, 2014, 01:11:59 PM »

Been freezing them for years, picked, steamed, whole crabs, just meat.  Without using the vacuum sealer (for long term keeping, I just left the whole crabs wet and froze them with an ice glaze.  If you pick them, I really recommend the vacuum sealer machine.  The freezer bags from the store are only used by me for short term storage.

Good luck
Crabbyd
Lifetime Member

5 girls....and DONE!!!!!

Ignore
« Reply #11 on: August 20, 2014, 01:28:52 PM »

vaccuum seal everything I can... BOGO at stores like chicken, roastsetc.. I buy one eat it fresh then vaccuum seal the free stuff....   works well,..... and holds stuff much longer.... same with deer, crab, rockfish etc

once you get use to doing it you will never put anything in the freezer w/o vaccuuming....

puppy

shouldn't you eat the free one first and save the one you paid for and exactly how do you know which one was the free one once you get it home?   laugh laugh laugh laugh laugh laugh laugh laugh laugh laugh

"Life is not a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in a pretty and well preserved body, but rather to skid in broadside, a crab in one hand, a beer in the other, thoroughly used up, totally worn out, and loudly proclaiming -- WOW--What a Ride!"
CrabDog
Lifetime Member

Ignore
« Reply #12 on: August 20, 2014, 03:41:41 PM »

puppy

shouldn't you eat the free one first and save the one you paid for and exactly how do you know which one was the free one once you get it home?   laugh laugh laugh laugh laugh laugh laugh laugh laugh laugh

OK now that's funny D cause you're right how do you know which one was free and which one you paid for.. Oh yeah the one that cost more is the one you paid for ......... the one of equal or lesser value is free

that's how you know.......   Angry Angry Angry Angry Angry Angry Roll Eyes Roll Eyes Roll Eyes laugh laugh laugh

my point being was that anytime someone wants to give you free food/ meat take it because with a vaccuum sealer it will hold a long in the freezer.. just me and the wife so can only eat so much at a time...

I can see if yiou had a big family you might eat both at once if you had  BOGO free special.....

MD / PA Line
bigahole

Ignore
« Reply #13 on: May 10, 2015, 09:55:53 PM »

what vaccuum sealers do you guys use? should I buy an expensive one or a cheap one?
Crabbyd
Lifetime Member

5 girls....and DONE!!!!!

Ignore
« Reply #14 on: May 11, 2015, 09:04:25 AM »

what vaccuum sealers do you guys use? should I buy an expensive one or a cheap one?

depends on the amount of use you plan to use it.  Mild to medium us, you can get away with a cheaper one.  If you plan to use it a lot, a more commercial one will be needed.  I have gone through 3 of the cheaper ones from Wal-Mart/Bj's.  Next one will be commercial

CaptMoose
Lifetime Member

Ignore
« Reply #15 on: May 13, 2015, 08:41:26 PM »

I do a combo of I think what Jack recommended in a another thread - covering the meat with milk - then a light freeze (ala CrabbyD) in a tupperware container, then vacuum seal in a bag after setting up in the container.  I has worked like a charm.  The milk keeps any air and ice crystals off the meat and the vacuum pack preserves it longer.  Just defrost in a strainer over a bowl and consume.  The meat comes out nearly like fresh.

23' C Hawk

Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to:  

Home