December 06, 2021, 06:56:44 AM

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Total time logged in: 0 minutes.

Home   Help Login Register  

A D V E R T I S E M E N T

Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Topsail, NC  (Read 5031 times)
lank
Lifetime Member

Ignore
« on: August 22, 2014, 03:48:57 PM »

Has anyone heard of any reports on Topsail, NC? Those boys down there are a year behind on posting anything. We are going down for 2 weeks .

"A crabber's friendship is like peeing your pants...everyone can see it; but only you can feel it's true warmth."
lreops
Lifetime Member

Ignore
« Reply #1 on: August 22, 2014, 04:25:35 PM »

You might have better results if'n you post this in the North Carolina thread instead of the Maryland one. Just keep trying.
Just my 2

Ron

Ron

Always looking to learn
Always looking to share
Always looking for fun
SOS

Ignore
« Reply #2 on: August 23, 2014, 09:55:01 AM »

i just got back from there ,,, i was spearfishing,,,, but  many said the crabing was great ...
much rain there may have pushed them down out of the upper New River ...
talked to a man with a place on the ICW near the big bridge,,, he was getting them in pots up to 8"ers.
I saw some nice ones cought at Sneeds Ferry Marina....  i sure was getting an echey  trigger finger,
but no gear to go for them..........

good luck............         SOS
horsefly
Lifetime Member

Ignore
« Reply #3 on: August 23, 2014, 02:43:22 PM »

Has anyone heard of any reports on Topsail, NC? Those boys down there are a year behind on posting anything. We are going down for 2 weeks .
It's not just that, there is only a small percentage of people from NC who as rec's use this forum to post...then even smaller percentage of comms IE;myself who post exact info. But on that note, I am not in that area so offer very little help :p

Lots of crabbers and crab lovers on here. If you enjoy crabs, lot's of info and good chat about crabs. Why not go ahead and donate to this forum. Deep down after doing research on here and chatting with others,you will find useful info from some new friends.ENJOY!!
saxon4646

Ignore
« Reply #4 on: August 25, 2014, 09:20:43 AM »

Hey there- I was down at Topsail this weekend and set out 6 pots on Friday August 22 for just 4 hours and had 30 crabs with 14 keepers. No jumbo's - all right at 5 inches up to 5 3/4". I didn't have anyone to sell any to so I just caught what I wanted. All pots set in about 5 foot of water at high tide.

Crabby Captn John

Ignore
« Reply #5 on: September 13, 2014, 11:48:23 PM »

Hey there- I was down at Topsail this weekend and set out 6 pots on Friday August 22 for just 4 hours and had 30 crabs with 14 keepers. No jumbo's - all right at 5 inches up to 5 3/4". I didn't have anyone to sell any to so I just caught what I wanted. All pots set in about 5 foot of water at high tide.

5' at high tide south of there would put pots on mud w/o water at low tide. As a rec I can put out 5 pots and have been averaging 36 - 50 on a 2 - 3 tide soak. A few throwbacks and the rest 5 - 7.
saxon4646

Ignore
« Reply #6 on: September 15, 2014, 01:29:01 PM »

your doing alot better than me crabby ! I was a Rec until Jan 10th of this year and I caught more with my 5 pots than I am now with 12-15. I have 30+ but hasn't set them all out at the same time.
Crabby Captn John

Ignore
« Reply #7 on: September 18, 2014, 11:23:43 PM »

your doing alot better than me crabby ! I was a Rec until Jan 10th of this year and I caught more with my 5 pots than I am now with 12-15. I have 30+ but hasn't set them all out at the same time.

This has been one of my better years if not the best. I'm thinking it may be my last. I'm getting older but mostly have a hard head. The state is raising my license $30 which would not be a big deal EXCEPT it is to be used to pay for observers of the gill netters. If the gill netters were honest the feds would not insist on observers. The state should have eliminated gill nets decades ago like all other states. OK, I have a very hard head too.
saxon4646

Ignore
« Reply #8 on: September 19, 2014, 06:12:26 AM »

Hey Capt'n
I have been down in Long Beach and I do know about the tide your referring to. I put out a couple pots there before at least 4 foot under the water along the ICW only to come back at low tide to find them high and dry and the water was at least 50 foot from them. Thank goodness Topsail doesn't have that much fluctuation. Hope to be back at it a week from today
Crabby Captn John

Ignore
« Reply #9 on: September 19, 2014, 07:17:57 AM »

Hey Capt'n
I have been down in Long Beach and I do know about the tide your referring to. I put out a couple pots there before at least 4 foot under the water along the ICW only to come back at low tide to find them high and dry and the water was at least 50 foot from them. Thank goodness Topsail doesn't have that much fluctuation. Hope to be back at it a week from today

TI is farther north ~~  Sept/Oct is time to concentrate on fishing. Although I fish all year this is time to put some up for winter. 

horsefly
Lifetime Member

Ignore
« Reply #10 on: September 19, 2014, 02:24:10 PM »

This has been one of my better years if not the best. I'm thinking it may be my last. I'm getting older but mostly have a hard head. The state is raising my license $30 which would not be a big deal EXCEPT it is to be used to pay for observers of the gill netters. If the gill netters were honest the feds would not insist on observers. The state should have eliminated gill nets decades ago like all other states. OK, I have a very hard head too.
OUCH, really ban gillnetters? Um, I make 1/4 of my income from net fishery. Think tho, the state has managed it pretty well in the past 20 years. Drum are here big time, as are rockfish which in a way are hurting other species ....such as crabs, one of the main diets of rock are young crabs and shad. We have quotas, limits and at which are subject to closure or changes by proclamation at any given time. Yes, I agree there is a few bad apples, those bad apples have tainted the industry along with the medias discoloration of commercial fishermen in general. For once media needs to actually show what we do, the things we do and have to adhere to, and how we feed not only NC but worldwide. I am not bashing rec's by all means, I rec fish too. We in NC have sustainable resources that are and will be shared by both for years to come.
My only gripe is before you (not you personally) but as a whole complain about not catching fish, try another area, or different baits, lures whatever. There is fish....plenty of them just go out and get them Smiley

Lots of crabbers and crab lovers on here. If you enjoy crabs, lot's of info and good chat about crabs. Why not go ahead and donate to this forum. Deep down after doing research on here and chatting with others,you will find useful info from some new friends.ENJOY!!
Crabby Captn John

Ignore
« Reply #11 on: September 19, 2014, 06:20:15 PM »

OUCH, really ban gillnetters? Um, I make 1/4 of my income from net fishery. Think tho, the state has managed it pretty well in the past 20 years. Drum are here big time, as are rockfish which in a way are hurting other species ....such as crabs, one of the main diets of rock are young crabs and shad. We have quotas, limits and at which are subject to closure or changes by proclamation at any given time. Yes, I agree there is a few bad apples, those bad apples have tainted the industry along with the medias discoloration of commercial fishermen in general. For once media needs to actually show what we do, the things we do and have to adhere to, and how we feed not only NC but worldwide. I am not bashing rec's by all means, I rec fish too. We in NC have sustainable resources that are and will be shared by both for years to come.
My only gripe is before you (not you personally) but as a whole complain about not catching fish, try another area, or different baits, lures whatever. There is fish....plenty of them just go out and get them Smiley

I crab NC as I live and have 2 slips 4 minutes from my driveway. I fish SC. I catch fish in NC when the desire hits but why? SC (no nets) has a 15 fish 14" flounder limit. Trout and redfish are easy to find and no dodging nets that are not properly set or being observed when required. I do not think you want the media as they will show trawler bycatch in the sounds and heaven knows what in the gill nets. Are you aware MS has a 6 week gill net season and that is the only one from SC to TX? I'm not bashing ALL comms, maybe the RCGL needs to go. As for trawlers ~~ note how many from as far as FL are shrimping in our nursery areas as they are not permitted inshore anywhere else. NC comms fish outside once the water cools but not while the easy, cheap shrimp are near the dock. I'll not change it and will see no change in my lifetime but believe lots of changes will happen for my grandsons to see. OOHhh ~~ no one has seen a striper caught here in years but just into SC they are found. Today Daniel opened shrimping up in the ICW in the south end of NC. Not all the way as he does not want to hear SC politicians bitch to their NC counterparts. The area is one of the narrowest along the entire ICW. Often there will be 1 almost beside the other and both hitting crab pots inside the markers. Those are not professionals ~ not part timers ~ not even amateurs but fools afraid to go outside the inlet. Then they get POed at a guy in a jon boat for being anchored in the ICW because ~~ they own it and everything in it. I thought the minority of problem comms was small until NCFA became more vocal. Now I believe that minority is quickly approaching the majority. Have you ever attended an ACL or MFC meeting? Check them out and see the commercial guys rule those two as will as Daniel at DMF. You are correct ~~ there are fish in NC and other states too. I have watched the stocks of 4 states decline since the '70s, and NC has been the leader ~~~ the decline in NC is much more pronounced.
The rant came about as I probably will not renew my RCGL as I do not want to help pay for observers only required as without them gill nets only caught 1 or zero turtles a year. Doubt an observer would only be needed to watch me pull 5 crab pots. I replaced 5 in June and bought a spare in July ~~ I have a couple comm friends that will be happy to have them. Tourists run buoys over and the new guy is thought to be taking a few. LOL ~~  yes I do have a few comm friends! 

Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to:  

Home