February 25, 2018, 10:46:19 PM

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Total time logged in: 0 minutes.

Home   Help Login Register  

A D V E R T I S E M E N T

Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Snood line recommendation  (Read 4219 times)
Crabber Kev

Ignore
« on: August 28, 2014, 05:43:42 AM »

I have always run straight trot lines . Now I would like to try a a snood line. Does anyone have any recommendations on what type to use- line thickness , spacing of snoods , thickness of snoods???
Ravendave
Lifetime Member

Ignore
« Reply #1 on: August 28, 2014, 11:52:03 AM »

I have always run straight trot lines . Now I would like to try a a snood line. Does anyone have any recommendations on what type to use- line thickness , spacing of snoods , thickness of snoods???
I prefer 1/4" medium or softlay with 5-32 snoods every 5'. If I am using clam bags I bait them every 10'.

Snoodlines made to order and built to last
Crabbin Fever
Lifetime Member

Ignore
« Reply #2 on: August 28, 2014, 12:34:52 PM »

I prefer 1/4" medium or softlay with 5-32 snoods every 5'. If I am using clam bags I bait them every 10'.
Every 10' because those snoods are hard for your little fingers unbait and you're CHEAP!  Grin
« Last Edit: August 28, 2014, 12:44:40 PM by Crabbin Fever » Logged

One in the basket is better than two in the water!
flounderpounder
Lifetime Member

Ignore
« Reply #3 on: August 28, 2014, 01:58:51 PM »

Every 10' because those snoods are hard for your little fingers unbait and you're CHEAP!  Grin

X100.. Been trying to tell him to make 1/8" snoods but he dosent listen. Could have sold at least 5 lines if he made 1/8"ers.

" I CAN SKIN A BUCK, I CAN RUN A TROT LINE A PA BOY CAN SURVIVE" 

"YOU CAN LOVE ME OR HATE ME, BUT WHEN YOU HATE ME, YOU LOVE TO HATE ME "Wink
ChrisS

Ignore
« Reply #4 on: August 28, 2014, 02:39:16 PM »

Every 10' for me.

in·teg·ri·ty   
–noun 1. adherence to moral and ethical principles; soundness of moral character; honesty

rdbeard

Ignore
« Reply #5 on: August 28, 2014, 02:43:51 PM »

My clam lines are #8 loctite  with 3/16 snoods every 12 ft. chnx lines are softlay1/4 in with 3/16 snoods every 4 ft. i will change cn  lines this winter to #8 loctite 3/16 snoods every 6 ft. 4 and 5 ft is too much baitin.
ChrisS

Ignore
« Reply #6 on: August 28, 2014, 02:45:34 PM »

I agree, rdbeard. A waste imo.

in·teg·ri·ty   
–noun 1. adherence to moral and ethical principles; soundness of moral character; honesty
Ravendave
Lifetime Member

Ignore
« Reply #7 on: August 28, 2014, 03:13:58 PM »

X100.. Been trying to tell him to make 1/8" snoods but he dosent listen. Could have sold at least 5 lines if he made 1/8"ers.

Thanks Jeff.  I'll make whatever people ask for.  The 5/32 is just my preference.  Wink

Snoodlines made to order and built to last
JCASTELLUCCIOJR

Location: WAS New Orleans, THEN Chalmette and NOW Metairie, LA

Ignore
« Reply #8 on: July 12, 2017, 02:04:16 PM »

[/quote]I am presently experimenting with the use of SNOODS made with 1/8" bungee cord and 3/16" fuel hose.  QUESTIONS:  what length to cut the bungee for securing the cut turkey neck in the single ring nets and the length (IF DIFFERENT) for use on my 2 7-ft.rebar anchored (driven into the bottom sand) and 200' trot-line setup?  THE MAINLINE...200' (#60 tarred nylon) line is stretched from rebar to rebar...then that line is baited every 4'-5'.  How are the snoods then "tied to the crab net bait-line and also onto the trotline???

HOPING FOR SOME EXPERIENCED INFO/SUGGESTIONS...Thank you....John Castelluccio, Jr.
SlickCam

Ignore
« Reply #9 on: July 12, 2017, 07:01:40 PM »

That's my set up rdbeard.. #8 solid braid with 3/16 snoods every 6'... Bait every other when I run clams. Can bait 2000' with 15lbs of chicken and half bushel of clams that way

SlickCam

Ignore
« Reply #10 on: July 12, 2017, 07:04:45 PM »

Snoods are tied on with a clove hitch. No hog rings to fray line or tear up hands that way.
JCASTELLUCCIOJR

Ignore
« Reply #11 on: July 13, 2017, 12:24:12 AM »

Snoods are tied on with a clove hitch. No hog rings to fray line or tear up hands that way.
 slickcam---THANK YOU VERY VERY MUCH!!!  John Castelluccio, jr.
rdbeard

Ignore
« Reply #12 on: July 13, 2017, 11:14:31 AM »

Slickcam, I run 3800 ft and i can bait pretty heavy and just use 1 bag clams. I run same clams next day and ice them down when i pull lines, they catch pretty good next day. I do hor ring all my snoods ,lees time and my hands only touch the line when baiting.
Crabcruncher

Ignore
« Reply #13 on: July 13, 2017, 04:32:20 PM »

I am presently experimenting with the use of SNOODS made with 1/8" bungee cord and 3/16" fuel hose.  QUESTIONS:  what length to cut the bungee for securing the cut turkey neck in the single ring nets and the length (IF DIFFERENT) for use on my 2 7-ft.rebar anchored (driven into the bottom sand) and 200' trot-line setup?  THE MAINLINE...200' (#60 tarred nylon) line is stretched from rebar to rebar...then that line is baited every 4'-5'.  How are the snoods then "tied to the crab net bait-line and also onto the trotline???

HOPING FOR SOME EXPERIENCED INFO/SUGGESTIONS...Thank you....John Castelluccio, Jr.

On your trot line you can knot the end of your snood and secure it with a slip knot in your main line.
In your ring net you would secure the snood LOOP loosely to the bottom of your net with a plastic electrical tie wrap. The snood loop in the trap must be free to move around the tie wrap in order to bait and unbait properly.

The cut length of the bungee before the snood is made should be 11 and a half inchs long for both trot line and ring net.

Cc

Say brother....can you spare a crab...
JCASTELLUCCIOJR

Ignore
« Reply #14 on: July 13, 2017, 04:58:42 PM »

On your trot line you can knot the end of your snood and secure it with a slip knot in your main line.
In your ring net you would secure the snood LOOP loosely to the bottom of your net with a plastic electrical tie wrap. The snood loop in the trap must be free to move around the tie wrap in order to bait and unbait properly.

The cut length of the bungee before the snood is made should be 11 and a half inchs long for both trot line and ring net.

Cc

THANK YOU...still hoping for more suggestions---ALL ARE GREAT!  John Castelluccio, Jr.

partime59

Ignore
« Reply #15 on: July 13, 2017, 05:35:24 PM »

buy one already rigged
JCASTELLUCCIOJR

Ignore
« Reply #16 on: September 19, 2017, 11:12:55 PM »

buy one already rigged
I thoroughly enjoy making such things as these on my own!!!
partime59

Ignore
« Reply #17 on: September 20, 2017, 06:16:25 PM »

ill b down in couple weeks, still lookn for a winter haven. shell beach been top of the list so far. gonna stay with some friends in bywater for a week then venture out to the suburbs
Neither Crab
Supporting Member

Ignore
« Reply #18 on: September 30, 2017, 06:13:00 AM »

Try a few on your line to see if they make a difference. They are a lot more work and may not be worth it.
JCASTELLUCCIOJR

Ignore
« Reply #19 on: September 30, 2017, 07:36:46 PM »

Try a few on your line to see if they make a difference. They are a lot more work and may not be worth it.
THANK YOU...STILL GettING MORE AND MORE INFO! THANKS TO ALL---John C.

Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to:  

Home