May 21, 2018, 04:38:12 PM

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Total time logged in: 0 minutes.

Home   Help Login Register  

A D V E R T I S E M E N T

Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: can you freeze crabs?  (Read 5535 times)
randellbutts

The future "Luna Sea"

Ignore
« on: September 03, 2014, 12:15:50 PM »

Im taking the family crabbing for a week next summer. Im hoping to have a great week. I always clean my crabs before I cook them. Question is, can you freeze crabs? I usually share my catch with friends, but being we will be out of state, I would like to freeze some to bring home. What do ya'all think?
pttsbrghfan
Lifetime Member

Ignore
« Reply #1 on: September 03, 2014, 12:26:18 PM »

We normally freeze crabs after we cook them, but they will taste a little different.

Banned from Patcong Creek.
tattoo
Lifetime Member

MY BOAT CRAB TRAP

Ignore
« Reply #2 on: September 03, 2014, 01:04:07 PM »

Vac pack em

A CRAB A DAY KEEPS THE DOCTOR AWAY.   

Click Here To Mount Your Crab
Sunpal

Pickin' n' grinnin'

Ignore
« Reply #3 on: September 03, 2014, 01:26:09 PM »

I do it all the time.  Clean them, then freeze.  Vac pac is best, for long term freezing.  If you can't do that, I double up a zip lock freezer bag (one inside the other to prevent punctures) put the crabs in and then fill the bag with water, squeezing out any air bubbles and then freeze.  This way the meat doesn't dry-out.

If it weren't for going in circles, I'd get nowhere
discover
Lifetime Member

Ignore
« Reply #4 on: September 03, 2014, 01:57:51 PM »

I do it all the time.  Clean them, then freeze.  Vac pac is best, for long term freezing.  If you can't do that, I double up a zip lock freezer bag (one inside the other to prevent punctures) put the crabs in and then fill the bag with water, squeezing out any air bubbles and then freeze.  This way the meat doesn't dry-out.

This is good to know about filling the bag with water. Couple years ago I tried freezing the body of cooked crabs, after I took back shell off and cleaned them, but I just wrapped them in saran wrap and double zip lock bag and then wrapped it in tinfoil to try and keep freezer burn off, but I know that did not work. I tried them after couple months and they were not good, the texture of the meat was not good and they were just plain blah. Question - when you take them out of freezer, how do you eat them? I am assuming you would just thaw them to get the water out and then resteam them to heat them up? Or is there a better method after you take them out of the freezer to reheat them? Thanks

randellbutts

The future "Luna Sea"

Ignore
« Reply #5 on: September 03, 2014, 02:41:12 PM »

When I freeze fish fillets, I make sure there is plenty of water in the bag. I used to put them in milk cartons with the tops cut off. Next day put another inch of water on top to make sure there is no air touching the meat. Its a bit harder to do with the vacuum packer but still doable. I guess I could pick them after cooking and pck that for the freezer too, but that would really cut into the beer drinking time.
Sunpal

Pickin' n' grinnin'

Ignore
« Reply #6 on: September 04, 2014, 08:13:57 AM »

Question - when you take them out of freezer, how do you eat them? I am assuming you would just thaw them to get the water out and then resteam them to heat them up? Or is there a better method after you take them out of the freezer to reheat them?
I freeze the crabs uncooked.  When I'm ready to cook them, I peel away the bag and run them under cold water for a few minutes to melt the ice.

If it weren't for going in circles, I'd get nowhere
discover
Lifetime Member

Ignore
« Reply #7 on: September 04, 2014, 08:31:05 AM »

Cool. That actually makes more sense and I can now see freezing them uncooked would be better. Hopefully in future I will have caught more then enough crabs to eat in one sitting to give this a try.  laugh Certainly has not happened to me this year. Sad  laugh Thanks again for sharing your info.

Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to:  

Home