December 06, 2021, 06:48:33 AM

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Total time logged in: 0 minutes.

Home   Help Login Register  

A D V E R T I S E M E N T

Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Lake Mattamuskeet is in trouble...  (Read 2423 times)
Fisha

I Love Crabs!

Ignore
« on: October 15, 2014, 01:57:26 PM »

Well I made 4 trips to Mattamuskeet over my 2 week vacation in early october and the lake is in serious trouble.  They have been doing construction installing drain pipes in different areas and have the locks closed that lead into the canals.  There is very little water movement in the canals now and the crabs are very few in numbers.  I managed just 4 crabs each time I went and the one day I was there for 7 hours.  There is a group trying to save the lake from mismanagement by the federal government but it seems like they are loosing the battle.  The fishing is worse than the crabbing.  I used to catch 8-10lb large mouth bass like they were panfish, there were so many there, now you can't catch one of any size.  I'ts a sin to let such a natural resource get messed up the way it has been.  I drove up to the mouth of the one canal and they had just got done dredging it leaving 4' of mud from the bank 20' inshore, it is a mess.  The dredging is what is killing the lake.  They dredged these canals 6' deep or so and when they do open the locks now you have a 6' flow of salt water from the bay entering the brackish lake driving the salinity way up and killing the ecosystem...before they dredged it there was a flow of water just a couple feet deep so the salt levels stayed where they were supposed to be.  I hope they figure out how to make the lake right again I miss the mumbo carbs I looked forward to catrching every year on my vacation.
genecrabman

OBX CRABS @ HALF-FAST SEAFOOD 252 202 6469

Ignore
« Reply #1 on: October 15, 2014, 02:30:14 PM »

Another case of Government knowing whats best.... Angry
Fisha

I Love Crabs!

Ignore
« Reply #2 on: October 15, 2014, 02:43:24 PM »

Here is the website for the group trying to save the lake.  The timeline on it tells the whole story....
Crabpot Man
Lifetime Member

I Love Crabs!

Ignore
« Reply #3 on: October 15, 2014, 03:50:14 PM »

http://www.savemattamuskeetlake.net/

Cool

I understand, you are from PA.  laugh

A D V E R T I S E M E N T

Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: