August 15, 2018, 06:45:53 AM

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Total time logged in: 0 minutes.

Home   Help Login Register  

A D V E R T I S E M E N T

Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Outta state crabber looking to move  (Read 5102 times)
letseat

Ignore
« on: September 28, 2014, 11:02:32 PM »

Hello my name is Mike and I grew up on Chesapeake bay but want to move out of this liberal highly taxed, lets share our income with those who dont work state. Sorry about that. I love the water and the blue crab and was wondering if anyone can suggest a river, sound or body of water to look for property on that has good crabbing on? My perfect scenario would be 5 acres or so in a small waterfront town. Open to any suggestions. Thankyou.
horsefly
Lifetime Member

Sunrise in Bath, NC

Ignore
« Reply #1 on: September 28, 2014, 11:14:31 PM »

You just named about all the coastline of NC lol. I suppose it depends if you mean for commercial fishing or rec? Want salt water or more of fresher water? Closer to ocean? Edenton, NC is good for Albemarle sound, fresher water tho, but crabbing can be good later season from say May to the east to July thru Sept to the west. Bath, Belhaven, Washington Oriental all are good places down on the Pamlico Sound River except Belhaven which is Pungo river. All salt to brackish waters. Lots of places for sale, try http://www.therichcompany.com/ or another one of the many realtors.

Lots of crabbers and crab lovers on here. If you enjoy crabs, lot's of info and good chat about crabs. Why not go ahead and donate to this forum. Deep down after doing research on here and chatting with others,you will find useful info from some new friends.ENJOY!!
letseat

Ignore
« Reply #2 on: September 28, 2014, 11:23:31 PM »

Thankyou for the reply.I guess what I meant was up here crabs run larger later in season as they make their way up the bay towards fresh water so I assume they might run the same down there? With this beig said some of the smaller rivers that feed the sounds may provide a best bang for your buck in property purchase however I dont know where to start.
horsefly
Lifetime Member

Sunrise in Bath, NC

Ignore
« Reply #3 on: September 29, 2014, 07:55:46 AM »

Thankyou for the reply.I guess what I meant was up here crabs run larger later in season as they make their way up the bay towards fresh water so I assume they might run the same down there? With this beig said some of the smaller rivers that feed the sounds may provide a best bang for your buck in property purchase however I dont know where to start.
Idea, get three darts, toss them at map of NC and look into that area. I can say, they usually start along the backside of the beaches down here early in year say in End of Feb-March. River crabbing say here, can start in March-April...then stop or slow to little of nothing...then bam crabs again. Creeks around here get going April thru Oct. They are finicky and hard to judge because of water temps, salinity, oxygen levels, etc etc. Anyway, best thing to do is pick some areas around coastal NC, look up chamber of commerce for that area and go from there. Only can tell you there is lots of property for sale at least in my area...some are 1/2 acre lots to 10 acres, some on waterfront or with access.

Lots of crabbers and crab lovers on here. If you enjoy crabs, lot's of info and good chat about crabs. Why not go ahead and donate to this forum. Deep down after doing research on here and chatting with others,you will find useful info from some new friends.ENJOY!!
letseat

Ignore
« Reply #4 on: September 29, 2014, 08:04:23 AM »

Ok sounds like good advice. Is there however an area that is know for best crabbing in NC? Id like to start there. Thankyou.

horsefly
Lifetime Member

Sunrise in Bath, NC

Ignore
« Reply #5 on: September 29, 2014, 03:29:08 PM »

Ok sounds like good advice. Is there however an area that is know for best crabbing in NC? Id like to start there. Thankyou.
that is a tough question honestly, think overall, it's a toss up between Albemarle Sound to Currituck........then from Currituck back to Engelhard, then from there westward to Pamlico River and Pungo rivers. I know its a vague answer, but different times of year in different spots will produce more crabs than another, from Jimmies to Sooks, then reversed. Like I said throw a dart. We have crabbed both sounds and have been back in the river since late July, prolly wait and see what this week does before moving again.

Crabpot Man
Lifetime Member

I Love Crabs!

Ignore
« Reply #6 on: September 29, 2014, 08:58:50 PM »

Let's start from scratch.

Commercial or Recreational?
philjam

Ignore
« Reply #7 on: October 08, 2014, 10:25:22 PM »

I made the move last June from PA to Blounts Bay on the Pamlico River. Crabs from my dock on a creek have been 95% males, from 5" to 8". Very few throw backs. Sept. was the best month, now Oct. is slowing down. We looked at properties on the Inner Banks for 5 years before we found "the one" we now call home. Waterfront properties are very reasonable on most all the rivers and sounds. Some places we looked at specific waterfront properties in our modest price range - New Bern, Oriental, Aurora, Washington, Bath, Swan Quarter, Elizabeth City, Chocowinity.
letseat

Ignore
« Reply #8 on: October 14, 2014, 12:11:54 PM »

Plan on recreational crabbing only. I've been pecking around on line and it looks like the rivers/sound from Belhaven to Oriental are nice and secluded and offer 10+ acres with house for around 500K. Would really like to find somewhere on the water where I could also ride our ATV's from but I guess I'm pushing it. My wife also has a 45 min. minimum to a Wall-Mart or Home Depot which will be tough as well I suspect. Can't have it all. I've found a B&B in Belhaven to stay in to come down and spend some time so I think that's step one. Thank you for your responses all this helps.
horsefly
Lifetime Member

Sunrise in Bath, NC

Ignore
« Reply #9 on: October 15, 2014, 03:47:46 AM »

45 min drive to walmart or home depot lol. From Belhaven it's about 30 minutes to wally world, sorry however no Home Depots, do have a Lowes tho. Belhaven is quiet, very quiet in fact since now you no longer have picking houses, and now lost a hospital. Do have a urgent care there. Hey, btw there is a Auction down here for I believe waterfront property this Saturday I believe. It's on McGowan Rd, Bath, NC I'll check the details in morning and post.

Brianczaw

Ignore
« Reply #10 on: December 16, 2017, 08:58:01 PM »

Hello my name is Mike and I grew up on Chesapeake bay but want to move out of this liberal highly taxed, lets share our income with those who dont work state. Sorry about that. I love the water and the blue crab and was wondering if anyone can suggest a river, sound or body of water to look for property on that has good crabbing on? My perfect scenario would be 5 acres or so in a small waterfront town. Open to any suggestions. Thankyou.

Did you ever move?  We ended up with a place in Edenton..

Brian

Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to:  

Home