Maryland Blue Crab quality of meat when crab is steamed.

Started by Crabbing Ranger, July 25, 2015, 02:59:11 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Crabbing Ranger

I have a question on the quality of crab meat. Went crabbing at the wye River yesterday. For the most part crab meat from crabs caught from the Wye River area is top quality. We caught a bushel & had them steamed up at the landing. As many as they steam I'm sure they did them correct. A large amount of the crabs the meat seemed to be a little mushy. Not good firm meat. The crabs was very full & heavy. What causes some of the crabs to have a mushy meat texture?

tbishop

Sounds like too much vingar/beer/water in bottom of pot. If you have too much liquid and/or boil too hot it will get into 1/3rd of crabs on bottom of streamer (above screen) and will leave meat mushy/water logged, just my 2 cents.

BJ1fish

Where all of the crabs alive when you prepared them ? I boil crabs all the time and the only time I have any mushy crabs is when I boil my dead ones.

Crabcruncher

Actually, the meat of a boiled crab is firmer than steamed ones.
Say brother....can you spare a crab...

Crabcruncher

Quote from: Crabbing Ranger on July 25, 2015, 02:59:11 PM
I have a question on the quality of crab meat. Went crabbing at the wye River yesterday. For the most part crab meat from crabs caught from the Wye River area is top quality. We caught a bushel & had them steamed up at the landing. As many as they steam I'm sure they did them correct. A large amount of the crabs the meat seemed to be a little mushy. Not good firm meat. The crabs was very full & heavy. What causes some of the crabs to have a mushy meat texture?

Just curious, when they take your crabs for steaming, do they do it out in the open so you can watch the whole process?
Say brother....can you spare a crab...

A D V E R T I S E M E N T

reds

Quote from: Crabcruncher on August 07, 2015, 06:12:03 PM
Just curious, when they take your crabs for steaming, do they do it out in the open so you can watch the whole process?

At wye landing they use live steam. They do not boil.

wildturkey101

I know if they are taken directly from the steamer and sealed up in a closed container they can get mushy from continued cooking, they need to cool down some before closing up bags or boxes tightly. They have done a good job on my crabs at the Wye when I've had them cooked there.

crabbywaters

Definitely has nothing to do with how they were steamed. Them boys down there been steaming crabs for a long time. Dead crabs can be funky. Possibly have a few die?
I wish i was a crab.

arti0972

I had two deadloss in my bushel that I steamed the other day. One was dead a little longer than the other. I'd assume roughly about an hour or less. The other maybe fifteen minutes or less. The crab that was dead longer definitely was a full meat crab but the meat had already started breaking down and was becoming mushy and off tasting. The other crab wasn't as full as the first but the meat was just fine and I did in fact eat that one. So maybe there were some dead ones in your bushel. Just my two cents based on my recent observation.

A D V E R T I S E M E N T