February 20, 2018, 06:31:24 PM

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Total time logged in: 0 minutes.

Home   Help Login Register  

A D V E R T I S E M E N T

Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Female Blue Crabs wanted  (Read 5844 times)
Jennifer

Ignore
« on: November 14, 2014, 01:17:01 PM »

I am seeking LIVE female crabs in hard shell or soft shell. Whities or Bricks acceptable. Prefer unrefrigerated; frozen not acceptable. Would like to purchase about 4 to 6 crabs; will travel from Sussex country, lower Delaware to surrounding MD areas if necessary. Prefer to obtain as close to catch / wholesaler / commercial crabber as possible to ensure good health and safe transport. Please note, it is not legal for recreational crabbers to sell crabs (at least in Delaware, and I presume the same is true in MD)  

Please reply with private message to schedule an appointment for pickup if you know where and when you will have live female crab available, and as fresh as possible.

The funny part of this is that while I have 4 six inch crabs "wintering" in 45 degree water, I have 1 six inch male and one 5 inch male more active in 68 degree water. The six incher seems to be "craddling" the smaller male, although not actually "carrying" him. I think he wants a female companion ASAP!

And I'm fairly certain the smaller male wants him to have a new companion as well -lol

« Last Edit: November 14, 2014, 01:28:37 PM by Jennifer » Logged

Success can be caused by luck or by making mistakes. The more mistakes that ultimately lead to one's success, the less luck is a factor, and the better that success is handled.
Mr. Breeze
Lifetime Member

Ignore
« Reply #1 on: November 14, 2014, 01:21:25 PM »

Jennifer, the commercial female crab season closed in MD on 11-10

Blue Crab Industry Advisory Committee
Jennifer

Ignore
« Reply #2 on: November 14, 2014, 01:38:45 PM »

Thanks Mr Breeze. I wondered why retailers here are reporting that they had females last weekend, but can no longer get them unless frozen. I really got started just a month too late, and now even just a week late! Its so frustrating. My permit for sponges is only good until the end of the year, but I had no way of getting any by the time I was all set up. I need to do something productive over the winter months, so I am learning how to control the water and feeding. I hope to learn how to control things when they molt and how much time / feed it takes before they molt. They're actually kind of cute when there not so defensive or aggressive.

I put minnows in with them in both winter and warmer waters, but each time I sacrifice one for food, the crabs won't eat them unless there is no other choice; but the remaining minnows will start cannibalizing the injured one even before it is dead! Who knew little sweet minnows were like that?
« Last Edit: November 14, 2014, 01:42:45 PM by Jennifer » Logged

Success can be caused by luck or by making mistakes. The more mistakes that ultimately lead to one's success, the less luck is a factor, and the better that success is handled.
Jennifer

Ignore
« Reply #3 on: November 14, 2014, 02:40:21 PM »

If the laws in NJ or VA are different, I will consider a longer drive, considering Mr. Breeze's post. It is important to me.

genecrabman

OBX CRABS @ HALF-FAST SEAFOOD 252 202 6469

Ignore
« Reply #4 on: November 14, 2014, 03:46:31 PM »

I can fill your order............... Grin

Jennifer

Ignore
« Reply #5 on: November 14, 2014, 03:58:21 PM »

lol Thanks Gene. Meet me half way in Cape Charles? It may be quicker if you just run your boat up here and avoid the auto traffic.  Grin

redhanded

Ignore
« Reply #6 on: November 14, 2014, 10:57:11 PM »

Va. is still open for she crabs.  Should be able to get some Va. crabs that are landed in Crisfield Md.
bluecrabsdc

Ignore
« Reply #7 on: November 28, 2014, 02:55:36 PM »

You can go to most "international supermarkets" and find crabs.  They might not be blue crabs at this point in the season though.
Try Bestway Supermarket in Adelphi near College Park.  They usually have live crabs year round.

Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to:  

Home