December 01, 2021, 05:22:20 AM

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Total time logged in: 0 minutes.

Home   Help Login Register  

A D V E R T I S E M E N T

Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Is April too soon for crabbing in North Carolina?  (Read 11246 times)
newbie_crabber

I Love Crabs!

Ignore
« on: March 03, 2006, 03:55:04 PM »

(This is similar to my question about crabbing in Maryland in April but it's part of the same trip.) Hello everyone! As my handle clearly indicates, I am new to crabbing, so any advice I can get would be very much appreciated. My girlfriend (who actually has crabbed before) and I will be in North Carolina April 2 and 3 and we hope to do some crabbing. This will be my first time. We have four traps, some lines and a net. We plan on using chicken parts (I've heard necks are the best) as bait. Is this enough equipment and the right bait to catch enough crabs for two dinners for two?

We plan to go to catch crabs off piers either at the Outer Banks, maybe Cape Hatteras, or Frisco, or possibly Lake Mattamuskeet. I actually have no preference and compiled this list from surfing this great site.  Anywhere that we would stand the best chance of catching crabs and is fairly convenient would be fine. Any suggestions?

Final question, and most important, I guess. Is April 3 and 4 too early in the season to have a reasonable chance to catch crabs in North Carolina? I'm guessing it's going to be a bit chilly by the water at this time of year and I don't want to freeze our a---s off for nothing . Thanks!!!
tattoo
In Memoriam 09/2021
Lifetime Member

MY BOAT CRAB TRAP

Ignore
« Reply #1 on: March 04, 2006, 02:28:21 PM »

MY guess is it depends on what the water temp is.

A CRAB A DAY KEEPS THE DOCTOR AWAY.
k9crabber

Ignore
« Reply #2 on: March 05, 2006, 06:34:56 AM »

howdy, i went to nags head last fall. i made a water temp trend chart when i got back using uscg info from two stations nearby. didnt get skunked but it sure did stink for keepers. i know the temp should be up by june, but ill have to check for april. what are the dates your going?  policeman
newbie_crabber

I Love Crabs!

Ignore
« Reply #3 on: March 08, 2006, 10:17:19 AM »

As I said in my post, we should be in the Outer Banks around April 2 -3. I have read that the water temp needs to be 55 degrees to crab, do you think it will be warm enough in NC then? I'm thinking of looking on the web for water temps from Georgia to Maryland during April 2 - 5, when we will be trying our luck. Do you know if the Outer Banks is a good place and anywhere in particular, such as Cape Haterras, where we will be? Thanks.
tattoo
In Memoriam 09/2021
Lifetime Member

MY BOAT CRAB TRAP

Ignore
« Reply #4 on: March 08, 2006, 02:27:10 PM »

DON'T know , But good luck any way , hope you catcha a bunch. Have a great time.

A CRAB A DAY KEEPS THE DOCTOR AWAY.

k9crabber

Ignore
« Reply #5 on: March 10, 2006, 02:16:38 AM »

I took daily avg temps from NDBC stations FRDF1 and ORIN7. When I went in  late October the avg was around 62 then. Did poorly. Winter avg seems to be right around 60, summer 80 according to the stations. Based on last years spring reports, it wont start comming up until mid May reaching summer temps around mid june. My guess is they start comming in at about 65. This year i plan on taking temp readings on the sea floor to see how it compares to the stations readings. I'll try to email you the temp charts i made. it may not make any difference since its only data from last year. It's accurate though. I averaged over 4000 readings listed for the 90 days to plot the chart(45 spring, 45 fall)  stars
k9crabber

Ignore
« Reply #6 on: March 10, 2006, 03:24:29 AM »

By the way nc, I have readings from Jekyll Island, GA also. Looks to be between 65-68 early april. If you pull the island up on a satillite map, look at the northern end. There is a really nice public pier. We did pretty good on a foot bridge just to the east of the pier. Don't use a cast net around the foot bridge if happen to have a hankerin for shrimp. There's oyster beds all over and I learned the hard way. There are several places to stop on the road to the pier. Not to good for crabs but oysters were easy pickins. UNDER NO CIRCUMSTANCES FORGET MOSQUITO REPELLANT IF YOU STOP ON THAT ROAD!! Lost about a pint of blood in 15 min. There is a small store at the campground which has hoop traps and chicken necks and any gear you might forget. Its across the street from the road to the pier. 
Steve
Administrator

« Reply #7 on: March 13, 2006, 07:42:08 PM »

Here in Virginia the crabs are already starting to come up out of the mud. I would imagine that down in North Carolina that it's warmer and the crabs must certainly be waking up from their long nap!
redneckshoreboy

Ignore
« Reply #8 on: March 14, 2006, 12:37:31 PM »

Last weekend a friend of mine was pulling a bunch of little ones up while tonging oysters......this was mid bay md
« Last Edit: March 14, 2006, 12:39:21 PM by redneckshoreboy » Logged
gupper

« Reply #9 on: March 14, 2006, 02:26:21 PM »

Hi, I am new to site and a novice crabby.   Hopefully you all can help.    Also going t Nags Head but in June.  Can anyone advise as to where I go crabbing and clamming?

Steve
Administrator

« Reply #10 on: March 14, 2006, 02:55:54 PM »

Where in Nags Head?

Crabbing by boat or shore?

There are several bridges on the way out to Colington Island where I've seen people crabbing (handlines and traps), not sure if you can still do that or not.
gupper

« Reply #11 on: March 14, 2006, 03:05:59 PM »

We are stayin by the nags head pier.   will be crabbing offshore ...thanks for the response
Steve
Administrator

« Reply #12 on: March 14, 2006, 03:29:17 PM »

Well, I don't think you're going to catch any blue crabs offshore (Atlantic Ocean.)

You'll want to do your crabbing in the Pamlico Sound.

Steve
gupper

« Reply #13 on: March 14, 2006, 03:31:15 PM »

if i am unsucessful at crabbing can i buy them somewhere
Steve
Administrator

« Reply #14 on: March 14, 2006, 03:35:42 PM »

Yes, I recommend that you drive over to Roanoke Island, hang a left and head out towards Wanchese. There's an industrial park on the left before you get to Wanchese. Turn in and look for O'Neal Sea Harvest on your right. They sell live blue crabs at decent prices. There are other retail seafood outlets in Nags Head that sell blue crabs, but I've found that O'Neal's has the best prices.

http://www.onealsseaharvest.com/

Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to:  

Home